British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Paddington 50p

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PADDINGTON-BEAR-IN-PADDINGTON-STATION-2018-50P-RARE-ACCIDENTAL-RELEASE/362348165278

Anyone heard that story? my radar goes off when there is no shred of evidence and bidding more than likely done by his mates @ £999 and rising. Sure smell fishy to me:blink:

I used to like our coinage. Not so much any more though.

Once some thought went into what subject was worthy of a commemorative issue. Now it's all about what people will gush over and rush out to buy in its many differently minted forms. :(

• Like 1

I find myself being very selective  these days with regards to the "commemorative" market.

Some for sure are worthy of the moniker, but many are just s***e. Harry and Megans' £5 looked like it was done by Stevie Wonder, and when compared with pretty much anything from here http://www.predecimal.com/forum/topic/9647-lets-see-your-toned-english-milled-silver/?do=findComment&comment=120304 you can see just how sad the modern coins really are, they don't seem to try anymore.

Paddington (other than being a station and a bear from a story) really do nothing for me, much like the B.Potter coins - they're a tick in the box and that is it.

It would be much less sad if these "currency" coins actually made it onto the streets occasionally.

So far I have only received 2 of the whole of 2017 currency coins - 1 Potter 50p and 1 Isaac Newton.

There are many more that "should" be in circulation including a set of £2 coins, 5 50p's and all of the normal coinage.

We're well into 2018 with no sign of any of this years either and there are 26 x 10p's as well as a plethora of other coinage being minted.

At this rate it will be 100% impossible to collect any given year by checking change.

3 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

At this rate it will be 100% impossible to collect any given year by checking change.

I think that's the point. It's driving a market.

what's with all the hiding of past sales ffs. Out of order by ebay it's a sham of a site. I wish someone would close it. It still amazes me how they get on TV advertising there is supposed to be a very strict code of practice policy check before you get to advertise to the masses. Ebay break more compliance and trading standards rules than any online entity I know of. I think the older the human race becomes the closer to the caveman we are becoming. Devolving at a rapid rate of knotts. Very sad:angry: 

8 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

lol at the fools. soon they will release them and all will be worth 50p.

I read that the Paddington Bear 60th anniversary is in October this year, so The Royal Mint may release then to coincide!

'The Gazette' proclamation in February had this

DESIGNS OF THE COINS

4. (1) The designs of the said fifty pence gold, silver and cupro-nickel coins shall be as follows: ‘For the obverse impression Our effigy with the inscription

“· ELIZABETH II · D · G · REG · F · D · 50 PENCE ·”, and the date of the year, and for the reverse either:

(a) a design depicting Paddington Bear sitting on a suitcase inside Paddington Station; or

(b) a design depicting Paddington Bear waving a Union Flag outside Buckingham Palace.

Full text of The Gazette can be found here -  https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2965747

7 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PADDINGTON-BEAR-IN-PADDINGTON-STATION-2018-50P-RARE-ACCIDENTAL-RELEASE/362348165278

Anyone heard that story? my radar goes off when there is no shred of evidence and bidding more than likely done by his mates @ £999 and rising. Sure smell fishy to me:blink:

I'm sure paddington smells of marmalade sandwiches and not fish , he does come from peru of course

• Like 2

4 hours ago, bagerap said:

This 'sale' wasn't what it appeared to be. With ebay's new 'system' you can get to the sold page, but not open up the page proper. When you try to do this for this page, you get taken directly to an alternative page, suggesting that the seller pulled it before it finished. In short he was probably trying to create an inflated market for this coin. In any case, so what if a coin is 'accidentally' released? Presumably it will be eventually released anyway, by which time how could anybody tell which one was accidentally released or was just released when it was due to be? 

" Want to get your paws on our brand new Paddington coin? The wait is almost over! Our official Paddington coins will be going on sale Monday 18 June. Prices start from £10. To register your interest, visit: website"

from facebook, not advertising it just passing on knowledge, these will be out later next week rather than later this year

Edited by rpeddie
remove website

Why would you register interest with a website having a Chinese country extension? If they aren't careful, the replicas will be out before the official product.

That looks like a Chinese company trying to farm contact details.

Edited by Rob

10 minutes ago, Rob said:

Why would you register interest with a website having a Chinese country extension? If they aren't careful, the replicas will be out before the official product.

That looks like a Chinese company trying to farm contact details.

removed the link, wasn't sure if i should have left it in.

RM are horrible at sending spam though

1 hour ago, DaveG38 said:

This 'sale' wasn't what it appeared to be. With ebay's new 'system' you can get to the sold page, but not open up the page proper. When you try to do this for this page, you get taken directly to an alternative page, suggesting that the seller pulled it before it finished. In short he was probably trying to create an inflated market for this coin. In any case, so what if a coin is 'accidentally' released? Presumably it will be eventually released anyway, by which time how could anybody tell which one was accidentally released or was just released when it was due to be? 

No, this is an entirely separate issue which we've discussed on another thread, Ebay's worst offerings.

" Another new gitbay gripe is that if you look up say, 1925 half crown, and then go to Sold Items, something new and exciting happens. If you click See original listing against  a Sold item to determine its quality against the one you have for sale; you're going to run into an entirely new and different current listing. It's only been this weekend and I hope that it's just a glitch, but this could be yet another nail in the coffin. "

13 hours ago, bagerap said:

No, this is an entirely separate issue which we've discussed on another thread, Ebay's worst offerings.

" Another new gitbay gripe is that if you look up say, 1925 half crown, and then go to Sold Items, something new and exciting happens. If you click See original listing against  a Sold item to determine its quality against the one you have for sale; you're going to run into an entirely new and different current listing. It's only been this weekend and I hope that it's just a glitch, but this could be yet another nail in the coffin. "

yes i noticed this too 

Underhanded ebay again protecting what was sold and the price it sold at. Illegal and extremely bad practice to delete the paper trail. Now there is no accountability if something goes wrong. I even tried to find my coin that never arrived and the listing disappeared from my purchased items list. I had to go to paypal to get the tracking number and the sellers name. They have got a bloody nerve and my xmas wish is the receivers are sent in to that shithole.:angry:

The Royal Mint says the coins won't be released into circulation, and to get your hands on one will cost £10. You can buy them direct from the Mint.

Whoopee, another worthless piece of metal being touted as a coin.