British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I'd not run across one of these until today (the shop actually had acquired a pair of them, the one pictured below being by far in the better condition of the two).

I find this issue rather amusing - tipping the scales at 57½ grams, its bulk seems rather at odds with its intended function as "small change"....

1797GeoIII2dobv.jpg

1797GeoIII2drev.jpg

I understand that these have been subject to counterfeiting. Does anybody see anything that might be a cause for concern in that regard? Actual hue of the coin is a nice, dark red brown - these photos were taken in a manner so as to best show extant detail.

• Like 2

It's good. Decent edges too, which is often a problem with these due to the weight - it only needs to be dropped once. ;)

The large size is due to the coin being made from 2d worth of copper - 2oz.

Edited by mrbadexample

Yes - looks OK to me. There are a lot of these around - I think because they were so unpopular at the time and were quickly ceased a lot of people put them away as souvenirs. I probably have a dozen of them here in various grades!

Edge knocks, as previously mentioned, are the usual fault. Because of their weight and soft metal, one drop on a hard surface gives them a big problem.

Nice coin - every British coin collection needs one.

Not popular at the time due to size and weight. This is why so many have survived in GF - GVF, unlike the penny which is harder to find in decent nick.

I imagine many of these lumps destroyed many a pocket.

I once won £50 of £1 coins from an arcade in Dawlish and apart from looking rude with a bulge in my pocket ruined a good pair of shorts.

• Like 1