British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrLarry

1863 Farthing B over E in BRITT

Farthings I am on not pennies!  anyone ever come across a B over an E in BRITT on the 1863 farthing?  This is a very clear example and I have not seen it listed before the central arm of the E and the overhang of the squared off upper arm are clearer in the hand than in the images but they clearly show that a squared off letter existed under the B at some point.  The straight middle section cuts the B at the centre.  I have tried to find another one but with these things I would rather ask the forum of farthing lovers if they know of the error and if they might check any they have to see how rare or common it is.  Many thanks Larry 

CM180608-175210052 (182x300).jpg

CM180608-174714046 (250x300).jpg

CM180608-175319053 (274x300).jpg

CM180608-174642045 (183x300).jpg

Seen loads Larry but I never have had the equipment to  call it one way or the other. not just isolated to farthings I have one on a shilling on a post on this forum.  Because of the design of the letter it is very hard to detect weather it is an offset re-punch. ie. tilted at what ever angle or a multitude of attempts to correct either a broken letter or one that simply failed to make much of a contact mark. I think the letter O personally failed 99% of the time. most i have seen have been recut as you can clearly see the joins. Certainly has the E feature along the bottom of the B . What is on the opposite side could it be a die clash? as i would of liked to have seen actual metal rather than a raised outline if you get my meaning?

oh ok I have looked at hundreds and never seen one before, certainly I have seen where something has been cut away from the mid part of the B this is especially common on the 61 and 62 half penny ..on the B over R's on these two latter coins the R initially does give some indication of making the mid point a little flat but this is the most pronounced I have ever seen in a 63.  They are pretty much the rarest of this group so I have only seen three or four I thought it might be a good idea to look at the 1865 over 2 over 3 to see if the reused 3 might crop up as this E under the B.  The metal is raised up perhaps I have not caught the angle right.  The Straight top and the inner straight are very unusual on a B in the farthing

21 minutes ago, DrLarry said:

oh ok I have looked at hundreds and never seen one before, certainly I have seen where something has been cut away from the mid part of the B this is especially common on the 61 and 62 half penny ..on the B over R's on these two latter coins the R initially does give some indication of making the mid point a little flat but this is the most pronounced I have ever seen in a 63.  They are pretty much the rarest of this group so I have only seen three or four I thought it might be a good idea to look at the 1865 over 2 over 3 to see if the reused 3 might crop up as this E under the B.  The metal is raised up perhaps I have not caught the angle right.  The Straight top and the inner straight are very unusual on a B in the farthing

There are many varieties I am discovering that are not in the books but have passed through the auction houses. Just seems a real shame to collectors in general that these new varieties are pushed silently under the carpet. Like the 1881 F/P Farthing. Until 5 minutes ago I never knew it existed. If you say E I am inclined to accept it and will look out for 1863's although you don't see many if any :) 

no they seem a little thin on the ground.  Yes I know the F over P is a difficult one, one the 63 the F of FD has a connected metal attachment essentially making a P but I think that seems quite common not just on the 63 ....  yes I think I am pretty sure I will try to image more pictures the problem is using a phone camera down a microscope is never easy when trying to angle a coin to show a profile of the letter especially on a farthing.  I sometimes use blu tack to get better pictures so I shall try that.  I tried to look for it on the farthings website and could not see assuming ,although I may be wrong, that the website would be more up to date than a book.  But as I say I will keep trying to improve my picture taking