British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ALLAN43608

1946 penny issued in White metal?

Hi

Sorry i am new to this and  may have posted already in the wrong area!

I have a 1946 Penny that appears, to my eye, to have been issued in a White metal of some kind.

Is this normal?

Many thanks  for  any help or information

Regards

Allan

1946n2.jpg

1946n3.jpg

1946n1.jpg

Is it silver plated? What is the weight? If it is in 'white metal', which is essentially mostly tin, the weight will be 15-20% less than that of a normal bronze piece assuming dimensions are the same.

Hi Rob,

Thank for taking the time to reply. I will check weight tonight. It dosen't seem plated when i look closley the wear on the high points does not show and  underlying different metal. Just a strange one.

Allan

I have a 1922 of similar appearance that was silver plated. I actually scratched the edge which confirmed bronze colour beneath - but as has been said the weight would be the most important first measurement.

Hi the weight is 9 grams, thanks for the reply Vicky, is it worth giving it a “scratch “ pm the edge. If it’s Silver plated it would be a thick one I would think!

its the other things like the pitting and that no other metal seems to be showing via normal ware

thanks 

Allan

Took the plunge and did an edge scrape after Vickys comment , it’s a Silver plated copper coin, oh well maybe next time. 

Sorry to waste your time

Allan. 

No, always good to learn and help. The colour did look to be silver plate. 

I had NICKEL plated that fooled me and did not get past NGC