British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Chris2286

2p coins 1971 & 1979 NEW PENCE (NOT TWO PENCE)

Hi first of all I did read on some previous comments about these coins but nothing in 2018 and I'm assuming most if not all have read the article about these coins on eBay selling for anything up to £14'000 and there only in good condition I have also checked out on eBay and the items are there for such high amounts but also a lot others with a much lower value with same details and others to be made on specific date (which I know can't be the real deal people are searching for). 

My question is are these coins legit?

Reason for my question (is obvious) I recently went through my english coins that I picked up through the years from cleaning out attics garages homes etc and have found 1 of each of these coins in very good condition and of course got excited.

Any reply is appreciated.

Nothing to get excited about, unfortunately. Each is worth face value only (i.e 2p).

They were all inscribed 'New Pence' until 1982 from when 'New' was replaced with the quantity of pence (one, two, five etc.)

Hi Chris.

Dont be taken in by all the hype and crap on ebay.

All the Two pence up to 1982 say NEW PENCE.

This means there are millions of them and not worth anything.

When the NEW PENCE was dropped in 1982 it was replaced by TWO PENCE some were produced in sets with 1983 on one side and NEW PENCE on the other.This is the one that is rare and sells for big money known as a mule with a different Obverse and Reverse (Heads and Tails)Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear.

Keep smiling.

Pete.

Me and Michael must of been typing at the same time but atleast now you have got your answer twice :D

Great minds Pete, great minds.

Another bit of info for newbie Chris.

Total 1971 'new pence' 2p minted:    1,454,856,250 (almost one and a half billion).

Total 1979 'new pence' 2p minted:    260,200,000 (more than 260 million).

Edited by Michael-Roo

Cheers everyone for the replies I did hear of the 1983 coin alright and went through all the coins i had at the time,  but was recently struck with the eBay thing but thank you all for clarifying it and I'm still smiling its not often I get that type of rush. 

I still miss the old pence. :(

I never missed the old pence, I'm not old enough to. I just like collecting good examples of it :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jaggy said:

I still miss the old pence. :(

I don't. Picture this situation. It's the August Bank Holiday Sunday. I'm a student working the till in the Lyons teashop in the Old Steine Brighton, and there are queues all around the self service counter and almost out into the street. Back then a cup of tea was 6d, a roll and butter 9d, fish and chips 4/11, etc. etc, with some prices including a halfpenny as well, I have to know the actual prices, but at least the new tills back then did the adding up for me. Then the power failed!!!! Good job I was good at maths at school.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I don't. Picture this situation. It's the August Bank Holiday Sunday. I'm a student working the till in the Lyons teashop in the Old Steine Brighton, and there are queues all around the self service counter and almost out into the street. Back then a cup of tea was 6d, a roll and butter 9d, fish and chips 4/11, etc. etc, with some prices including a halfpenny as well, I have to know the actual prices, but at least the new tills back then did the adding up for me. Then the power failed!!!! Good job I was good at maths at school.  

I worked in Woolworths pre-decimal so I know of what you speak. Our tills were manual so we had to do our own adding up. But I cannot ever remembering it being a problem. We all knew how to count.

Edited by jaggy

17 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I worked in Woolworths pre-decimal so I know of what you speak. Our tills were manual so we had to do our own adding up. But I cannot ever remembering it being a problem. We all knew how to count.

True, but its the pressure of a long queue, and full trays of food, like two fish and chips, two rolls and butter, one steak pie and mash, three cakes at different prices and two teas and a coffee. All to be added in the head, all the while the queue is getting longer and the punters more impatient. Not helped by one clown, who thought I was fiddling the till, by demanding that I ring up the total. He seemed unable to comprehend the failure of the mains power. Idiot.

Edited by DaveG38
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveG38 said:

Couldn't happen now... (I'm looking at you, VISA)

• Like 2