British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Victoria Halfpenny - Obverse 14 or 15?

Anyone like to put me out of my misery? Which Obverse 14 or 15? I THINK it is 14, but my eyes have gone crossed looking at Freeman.

1879 HD 14+O 2 Red.JPG

For me, it's 15 but see what others say.

• Like 1

Couldn't tell you I don't understand freemans observations on half pennies. He must of used google earth satellite imaging to see what he saw :lol:

Couldn't determine by the bridge of the nose (scratch) so I went by the bulging forehead and shorter thicker nape hair.

• Like 1

I believe it's obverse 15 - Malcolm Lewendon's CD of images says obverse 14 has 152 rim denticles and obverse 15 has 149 rim denticles.

I've left myself a note that says on obverse 14 the second : of D:G: points between rim denticles while on obverse 15 the second : of D:G: points at a rim denticle.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the thoughts - I guess I will have to accept it is 15. I find the bridge of the nose measure very difficult to judge. The bulging forehead and the alignment of colons are much easier to see.