British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Booklet on Edward VIII proposed Coinage

I picked up this booklet at the auction today. It is not really for me as I am unlikely ever to run into any Ed VIII coins (other than colonial) and I got it with the thought that it might be of interest to someone on here.

Printed in 1973 by HMSO, it contains a detailed discussion of all the Edward VIII coins, including colonial, and has black and white photos of most of them. It even has pictures of alternative designs considered for the threepence.

£10 including UK postage.

Here is the cover - I will post the centre spread photo in a comment:

EdVIII Booklet 1.jpg

... and here is the centre spread:

EdVIII Booklet 2 Red.jpg

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

I will have that please Paddy.

That was quick! Paypal is great - I can probably find your address, but in case not, please PM me.

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Printed in 1973 by HMSO, it contains a detailed discussion of all the Edward VIII coins, including colonial, and has black and white photos of most of them. It even has pictures of alternative designs considered for the threepence.

You mean the brass 3d? The one in the illustration is the ultra rare proof that shows the same reverse design as used for George VI. The almost ultra rare one shows a different design (same motif of a thrift plant) and was the one they issued to shopkeepers etc for testing their machines. A few didn't make it back to the Mint and were the ones people scoured their change for ever since.

The silver 3d, 6d and halfcrown designs only exist as extremely rare proofs, as do the other denominations though those are the same as used for George VI and shows the 'panic' station the Mint got into after the Abdication in late 1936, at which point they carried on minting George V coins dated 1936 (which is why they're so common) and meanwhile recycled most of the Edward VIII designs for George VI to get the 1937 issues out as soon as possible. 

Several more copies of this available on Abe books.

Jerry

I picked up a copy a few years ago and it's well worth the read - there's more than just the pretty pictures.

The Royal Mint Museum has some nice colour photos of most (possibly all) of what's in the book too.

On 6/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, Paddy said:

I picked up this booklet at the auction today. It is not really for me as I am unlikely ever to run into any Ed VIII coins (other than colonial) and I got it with the thought that it might be of interest to someone on here.

£10 including UK postage.

Here is the cover - I will post the centre spread photo in a comment:

EdVIII Booklet 1.jpg

A good read that Paddy and could not put it down.Interesting chapter on the intended designs and shapes for the Brass Threepence ,although the designs turned down for the silver with animals and birds on did not surprise me :)

Thanks again.

Pete.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, it does sound very a interesting read, and based on your recommendation, Pete, I've ordered one off Amazon.

Just read this book. An absolutely brilliant read and very well written. I never realised how many different designs were considered at the time, and that the King wanted to face left rather than right, as he thought the left side of his profile was better than the right.

Also interesting that the modern designs drawn by Wilson Parker were liked by the King, but eventually dropped - with the exception of the wren which was originally designed for the 3d, but eventually rescued for the Farthing. 

At one point it was even mooted that the new 3d should have a hole drilled through the centre, but this was soon discounted as it would have compromised the Royal effigy.

The thrift plant design by Miss Kitchener was adopted for the threepence, but had to be re-designed by her to omit the word "thrift" which was shown just below the plant.

Here's a pic of the alternative 3d's - apologies, it's not great quality.    

threepence designs.jpg

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

That's fascinating - I didn't know of all those 3d trials. Does illustration 5 show a brass or silver 3d? If silver, the thrift plant was ditched in favour of the 'ring pull' design which can be seen on the proofs (the 6d had the same motif).

It's quite telling the pressure on the Mint designers - even after continuing with the GeoV coins dated 1936, they still seem to have been forced by deadlines to recycle many of the Edward designs for Geo VI - the bronze, florin and shillings; and even the halfcrown was only modified.

1 minute ago, Peckris 2 said:

That's fascinating - I didn't know of all those 3d trials. Does illustration 5 show a brass or silver 3d? If silver, the thrift plant was ditched in favour of the 'ring pull' design which can be seen on the proofs (the 6d had the same motif).

It's quite telling the pressure on the Mint designers - even after continuing with the GeoV coins dated 1936, they still seem to have been forced by deadlines to recycle many of the Edward designs for Geo VI - the bronze, florin and shillings; and even the halfcrown was only modified.

Peck.....PM me your address as you can have mine now i have read it 🙂

3 minutes ago, Peckris 2 said:

I think illustration 5 was the original sketch.

The note underneath states:-

"5-8 Evolution of thrift design, showing Miss Kitchener's original sketch (5), her two models (6, 7) and the modified version by Mr Metcalfe (8)2 

• Like 1