British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Geordie582

US State quarters

I'm 1/4 of the way through a 4 week stay in the US and was struck by the number of different quarters in circulation. They are issuing one for each state at a rate of 5 per year. I've managed to collect, from change, 25 types, with only 5 missing from the sequence to this year (I haven't seen any 2005 yet). I was just wondering if there would be any on restricted area issue. A new American friend bought me the Whitman folder for them so I can keep tabs on the issues. ( boy! are they friendly and generous!! :D ). Im off to Canada for 2 weeks after this holiday in the US, so will cast around to see whats on offer there. Oh! yes! The sun is great! B)

What wonderful dedication to be posting from across the pond, and with real numismatic related stories too. Salt of the earth you are, Geordie.

Waaaay Ayyyy man, I bet they have a real problem understanding you over there.

I agree with you Geordie. I have ten "odds", given to me by my sister AFTER I had been to the USA.

I won't be going back for a long while yet, but the grandchildren are going at Easter. Guess what is

on a list for them to look out for ??

By the way, my neighbour has them sent to him in sets of five, as they are distributed, from an American

friend. Oh, to have friends ??!! They look beautiful in mint condition.

I can usually pick up decent pieces in my change, if anyone is interested (at face value), or for a premium, I can uncirculated pieces from rolls at the local dealer (the newer ones are usually US.40c each, while some of the earlier ones are around $1.00). I also can get the folders to put them in. Just let me know, and we can work something out.

Scott

Lucky you, having a 6 week holiday!

It would be nice, in my opinion, if we Brits had something like that; pennies from SE, S, SW, M, N, NE and NW...

Or even what about all the counties! That would be like having Conder tokens again, but probably too expensive to do coins from each county with a different design.

The Pound coin of course is already something similar, with a difference reverse each year. Bridges now, but of course previously: Scotland, Wales, England, NI and the whole UK.

Don't forget that America is much larger that the UK JMD.

Im off to Canada for 2 weeks after this holiday in the US, so will cast around to see whats on offer there. Oh! yes! The sun is great! B)

Canada issued a different design of quarter for each month of 1999. I was last there in 2000 and managed to pick up about seven of them, but already they were being snapped up and sold as sets by dealers. I'm off to Canada again this summer so I'll be interested to see what I can find. I know they have a new coloured coin for the Chinese year of the rooster (if you like that sort of thing) but I'm not sure if it's for general circulation.

I also found a couple of US state quarters in my change in Canada so maybe that will happen again.

Geoff

As we have to feed the laundry machines with quarters, I do have an advantage! I also have a US citizen looking for me. I now have all bar the Maine quarter of those issued up to and including 2004. The new one, Connecticut, is out this month, but I think I'll be lucky to find one. My American buddy says he'll send me all those minted in the future as they come out, so I'll end up with a full set! About the only coin series that I can say that ! :D

If you want I can get the 2 issues of any State coin pretty easily (as and when they are released)..I am back and forth there quite reguarly, and my In Laws are all there.

Edited by Levi_NI

Thanks for that! but as I said, there is already a 'fairy godfather' in the US that will supply me as required! :P

By the way! I'm still looking for information aout the coin shown in my avatar???

Edited by Geordie582

Canada issued a different design of quarter for each month of 1999.

In 1992, as part of their 125th Anniversary of Confederation, the RCM (Royal Canadian Mint), issued a series of 12 quarters, 1 per month, for each of the 12 Provinces or Districts that make up the nation.

In 1999, as part of their Millenium celebration, a series of 12 quarters, each listed by month, with designs submitted by children was issued.

In 2000, as a continuation of the 1999 series, 12 more quarters were issued, but this time, each one had a creed word, (Pride, Ingenuity, Achievement, Health, Natural Legacy, Harmony, Celebration, Family, Wisdom, Creativity, Freedom, Community).

In 2000, as a continuation of the 1999 series, 12 more quarters were issued, but this time, each one had a creed word, (Pride, Ingenuity, Achievement, Health, Natural Legacy, Harmony, Celebration, Family, Wisdom, Creativity, Freedom, Community).

I think I may have some of these already, but I'll keep my eyes open for any more - assuming they can still be found in circulation.

Thanks for the info.

BTW - how are you for 50p coins these days? I have a spare 2004 Roger Bannister if you're still into collecting them.

G

I think I may have some of these already, but I'll keep my eyes open for any more - assuming they can still be found in circulation.

Thanks for the info.

BTW - how are you for 50p coins these days? I have a spare 2004 Roger Bannister if you're still into collecting them.

G

I have an extra of: freedom, family, celebration, and wisdom, if you need any of those. Also have an Ontario from the 1992 series.

As far as the 50p, I already have the Roger Bannister, still looking for the normal Brittania issue for 2004. I assume that the 2005 won't be out for a while, yet, so I have not even thought about them. Also looking for a 10p from 2004. Unknown helped me out with the rest of last year's issues, so all I need are the 10p and 50p (normal).

As far as the 50p, I already have the Roger Bannister, still looking for the normal Brittania issue for 2004. I assume that the 2005 won't be out for a while, yet, so I have not even thought about them. Also looking for a 10p from 2004. Unknown helped me out with the rest of last year's issues, so all I need are the 10p and 50p (normal).

No problem - I can get you both of those asap. Can you send me a private message to remind me of your address?

Thanks for the tip about the Canadian stuff too.

Geoff

Up-date! Had atrip to Mexico - and picked up a Morgan dollar and Kennedy half! Also completed the quarter series up to date (California). Strange way to go about things??? :D