British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

Speechless,Shocked,and Angry

Postman arrived about an hour ago which is unusually late for them but I was pleased as it was my order from westminster or is it changechecker? with my twin BU 2018 Mike the bike  Isle of man £2 40 and 60 year commemoratives . Biggest load of crap I have held in my hands. I think changechecker must of made them themselves  Just horrible scratched contaminated rubbish. I wanted to take them out of the sleeves but then I am open to them saying the coins were fine when we sent them bla bla. So excuse the pic quality but you will get an idea of what they look like. Trying palm these off as BU coins. I am so angry is there no safe haven from scamming b********ds?

2018ttb.jpg

2018ttd.jpg

2018ttf.jpg

2018ttreva.JPG

2018ttobva.JPG

2018ttobvb.JPG

2018ttrevb.JPG

Richard, are the scratches definitely on the coins themselves, and not on the casing? Sorry, I'm probably trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs here, but just thought I'd mention it to eliminate the remote possibility. 

If on the actual coins, then yes, it's an utter disgrace.  

2 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Richard, are the scratches definitely on the coins themselves, and not on the casing? Sorry, I'm probably trying to teach my Grandmother to suck eggs here, but just thought I'd mention it to eliminate the remote possibility. 

If on the actual coins, then yes, it's an utter disgrace.  

Can you read the number 57 on the bike? . Some of the close marks are on the plastic but that long hirline is on her cheek . I don't even know what design is on the bike as there isn't anything even remotely visible

7 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Can you read the number 57 on the bike? . Some of the close marks are on the plastic but that long hirline is on her cheek . I don't even know what design is on the bike as there isn't anything even remotely visible

No, I can't.

For comparison, here's another one I've looked up:-

Change Checker IOM 2018 TT CuNi Proof Two Pound Coins  e1526653247258 - The race is on for two BRAND NEW 2018 International Isle of Man TT £2 coins

5 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

No, I can't.

For comparison, here's another one I've looked up:-

Change Checker IOM 2018 TT CuNi Proof Two Pound Coins  e1526653247258 - The race is on for two BRAND NEW 2018 International Isle of Man TT £2 coins

That looks bloody awful as well lol. If I open the pack then my claim would be nullified . But the bike is clear even through the plastic housing. It's either contaminated of they don't strike BU coins how they used to

Edited by zookeeperz

31 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

That looks bloody awful as well lol. If I open the pack then my claim would be nullified . But the bike is clear even through the plastic housing. It's either contaminated of they don't strike BU coins how they used to

Quite a few years ago (2009) I couldn't help noticing the amount of scuffing in the obverse field of the newly minted BU Darwin £2 coins. Wasn't just one, they were all the same.   

• Like 1

The quality control on modern coins is absolutely appalling , its seems to be the same with all circulation coins , but you would think they could make an effort on a celebration issue.

When you consider the detail and astounding quality of the coinage a hundred years ago in Edwardian times such as this 1903 penny , just a circulation issue, but so fine that it could be a proof.  The flecks are just remaining lustre .

1903 matt low.JPG

• Like 6

Gawjuss ;) 

Quite a number of the jane austin bu coins are turing up with what i would discribe as ring like indentation around the circumference of the reverse, my guess is it may be some sort of exstreme ghosting.

I don't think the coin will turn up in any great numbers in circulation, looking at the design allthough it being a nice coin it will quickly turn tatty in circulation.

Edited by headsortails

I think the term "Brilliant Uncirculated" or BU has a number of different meanings. 

For the Royal Mint, polish dies are used for minting brilliant uncirculated coins and each coin is struck twice for superior quality. The Royal mint has different minting standards for proof, BU and bullion / circulating coins.

Alternatively, it can just mean that a coin has never been circulated and has full lustre and does not relate to how the coin was struck. A coin that was sealed in the mint would of course fit this category even if it was minted to the same standard as a normal circulating coin. 

The Pobjoy MInt (which mints so many of the Isle of Man coins) only describes the differences between minting processes for proof and circulating coins in their website. Hence a BU coin by Pobjoy could very well be the same as a normal circulating.

1 hour ago, Sword said:

I think the term "Brilliant Uncirculated" or BU has a number of different meanings. 

For the Royal Mint, polish dies are used for minting brilliant uncirculated coins and each coin is struck twice for superior quality. The Royal mint has different minting standards for proof, BU and bullion / circulating coins.

Alternatively, it can just mean that a coin has never been circulated and has full lustre and does not relate to how the coin was struck. A coin that was sealed in the mint would of course fit this category even if it was minted to the same standard as a normal circulating coin. 

The Pobjoy MInt (which mints so many of the Isle of Man coins) only describes the differences between minting processes for proof and circulating coins in their website. Hence a BU coin by Pobjoy could very well be the same as a normal circulating.

Westminster collections website description Go on their website it's a .com and enlarge the image of the coins they have as the examples they are very badly made the gap between the 2 metals starts close but ends up 3 times as wide and its all uneven

2018 Isle of Man TT Race £2 Coin duo

This year marks 60 years since fan favourite, ‘Mike the Bike’ first raced the International Isle of Man TT and 40 years since his triumphant return.

The 'Tourist Trophy' is an annual motorcycle event held on the Isle of Man and known by motoring enthusiasts as the 'Ultimate Road Race'.

To celebrate this special anniversary year, two £2 coins have been officially licensed by the Isle of Man TT with the support of the Mike Hailwood foundation.

Just 3,000 of each £2 coin will enter circulation on the Isle of Man but today you can secure both of these Brand New coins for your collection in superior Brilliant Uncirculated quality.

Of course they will also be protectively encapsulated and certified with a hologram to guarantee their superior quality.

Edited by zookeeperz