British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrP

Tudor?

I bought about half a dozen hammered coins a few month back and they were labelled as Tudor.  There were some nice coins, pennies, half groats, threepence and they all seemed to be Liz 1st, James, Mary etc.  This small one though I couldn't identify - is it a Tudor coin? Hopefully the pics will tell - it's actually easier to see in the pic than in the hand. Kind of looks like a knight on a horse maybe and a priest or king with a septre on the other side. Thank you for looking. 

s3.jpg

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

maybe a farthing or half penny.

It is difficult to tell from the picture.  If possible take another photo that is clearer.  Best to use a camera rather than a phone, and as bright lighting is possible to reduce lens blur and shake.  The man on horseback does not look like any English coin of the period.

• Like 1

At a glance it looks like a Venetian soldino or ‘galley halfpenny’, widely circulated in the UK in the C16/17.

Jerry

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jelida said:

At a glance it looks like a Venetian soldino or ‘galley halfpenny’, widely circulated in the UK in the C16/17.

Jerry

i agree

• Like 1

Thanks - 'll check hem out and compare.

it looks Venetian to me ..

• Like 1