British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

Am I wrong for liking this?

Don't ask me why but i just find this coin so appealing . I don't think I have seen many cleaner struck coins. Unless I am missing some minute detail it as perfect as perfect gets. massive coin in terms of weight . Makes our cartwheel twopence seem light in comparison . Weighing in at 62.90 grams 50 mm  but price tag of £70 seems a tad high but then with a mintage of only 888 is it really too high? Fiji 2013 .9999 Silver Proof year of the snake. what do you think chaps?

fijio-horz.jpg

I have a couple of sixpences from Fiji. They have a tortoise or turtle on them or something - I think they are quite cute. I know nothing about them but if I am ever sorting through a lot of foreign coins then the ones from Fiji always catch my eye. :-) 

• Like 1

The snake is quite successfully rendered, but the two men look as though they've been sourced from a primary school art project.

30 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

The snake is quite successfully rendered, but the two men look as though they've been sourced from a primary school art project.

The non proof coin are the same perhaps the subjects they chose were undernourished and were given wrong stylist advice about hairstyles :) 

fiji2013-horz.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

Don't ask me why but i just find this coin so appealing . I don't think I have seen many cleaner struck coins. Unless I am missing some minute detail it as perfect as perfect gets. massive coin in terms of weight . Makes our cartwheel twopence seem light in comparison . Weighing in at 62.90 grams 50 mm  but price tag of £70 seems a tad high but then with a mintage of only 888 is it really too high? Fiji 2013 .9999 Silver Proof year of the snake. what do you think chaps?

fijio-horz.jpg

Buy it if you like it!

The snake design is really quite cool and it is a much better effort than most modern offerings these days. I wouldn't worry too much if it is "worth" £70. There is a feel good factor when you know you have spent a bit more than an item's intrinsic value just to please yourself. 

As soon as you add colour to a coin it ceases to be anything approaching my cup of tea. :wacko:

I find the colours on the endangered wildlife coin truly off awful. However, the red cabochon on the snake coin is discrete enough. 

OK, a true coin shouldn't of course have colour or a "gem" set. And what has the Chinese Zodiac got to do with Fuji? But it is still nice to (occasionally) buy things we like the look of. 

"ka doka ma tui"? Sounds like Bill Bryson's rendering of someone speaking to him in Glasgow!

If you cash in al your Italian lire Zoo you'll be able to afford two!! :D

5 hours ago, Peckris said:

"ka doka ma tui"? Sounds like Bill Bryson's rendering of someone speaking to him in Glasgow!

"Fear God and honour the Queen". Motto of Fiji. 

Apparently, Tui Viti translates to king, queen or paramount chief. So I guess at least the motto does not need to be changed when Charles succeeds the Queen. 

• Like 2

Probably a creation by the RAM. Perhaps Fiji should have stuck with the RM to Mint their coins!