British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
coinme

1560-61 Elizabeth shilling die orientation

1560-61 Elizabeth shilling die orientation

English hammered coin I recently acquired. 
G.B. Shilling. Elizabeth. Bust 3C. 1560-61. 2nd issue. I also believe it to be an error coin as the orientation should be ⬆️⬇️. But is actually ⬇️➡️. Is this a know error/variety? Sorry if this has been asked before but I am very new to hammered coins and trying to learn.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_2329.JPG

IMG_2330.JPG

The die axis on a hammered coin can be anything from 0-360 degrees.

Looks to be in a really nice condition - must have been many hundreds of pounds surely. Unless there is something not right about it - I am no expert. What did it cost?  If it was £40- as the slip suggests in the pic then it was either the bargain of the decade or a fake imo. 

Don't take my word for it though - others are much more knowledgeable than I about such things - I am just being curious - if it is real then it is a lovely coin. Much better than my E1st shilling by a few hundreds of pounds. :-)   Mines worth about 30 to 40 quid. Looking at my coin, it is better than I though - but the portrait has gone - still, it's a gap filler that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. 

Edited by DrP

5 hours ago, DrP said:

Looks to be in a really nice condition - must have been many hundreds of pounds surely. Unless there is something not right about it - I am no expert. What did it cost?  If it was £40- as the slip suggests in the pic then it was either the bargain of the decade or a fake imo. 

Don't take my word for it though - others are much more knowledgeable than I about such things - I am just being curious - if it is real then it is a lovely coin. Much better than my E1st shilling by a few hundreds of pounds. :-)   Mines worth about 30 to 40 quid. Looking at my coin, it is better than I though - but the portrait has gone - still, it's a gap filler that I wouldn't be able to afford otherwise. 

It looks good, and £40 a bargain. If you are concerned take it to a coin shop and ask for a second opinion or consider getting it slabbed. CGC are cheap and are Goode enough to tell you if its real or not. From the pictures it looks good.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. the price on the holder is actually $950 Canadian dollars as I live in Canada. I didn't pay nearly that as I bought it in an estate lot with other coins (3 other hammered and one roman). i am sure it is real and was just curious about the die axis but I now see that it can be anywhere! Anyone have an opinion on grade? From looking at other coins that have sold I would guess at least a VF20-VF30. Not quite enough detail for an EF40 I think but I could be wrong. I see them selling about $500-$800 US. 

Again, thanks for everyone's input! I do appreciate it.