Jump to content
British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

   Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Unwilling Numismatist

7 Kilos of Johhny Foreigners

Recommended Posts

I'm going to have to face up to the task and go through all my foreign junk soon, but I was wondering if anyone had and words of wisdom first please?

Is it worth it, or should I job-lot it all out of the door.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for - I don't want to play variety hunting with this lot, so the totally obvious will be fine, anything microscopic will go in the pile for bulk unless it might change my life or wallet contents significantly.

It all dates from late 1800's to now-ish.

Thanking you all in advance for any wisdom imparted.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
sydlexia rules KO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've recently disposed of a couple of kilos of foreign coinage and some obsolete banknotes through 'Left over currency' https://www.leftovercurrency.com/ None of the banknotes where decent enough grades for collecting so this was the next best option. It is a little tedious sorting all the coins and logging them in but it was worthwhile as I got back £122, it will just depend on what you have but from memory they paid quite high for Swiss and German coins. It took about a week from them receiving them to paying out

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks will, that might be an option if it isn't all too old.

I am dreading it, and literally just now found another 1.5kg bag to go in the pile.

I'm starting to think I have as much coinage as @zookeeperz - it's just stored in one or two "large" holders :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Thanks will, that might be an option if it isn't all too old.

I am dreading it, and literally just now found another 1.5kg bag to go in the pile.

I'm starting to think I have as much coinage as @zookeeperz - it's just stored in one or two "large" holders :)

yes I feel your pain mate. I have in the past guilty of buying mixed lots just to gain the 1 or 2 coins I was interested in . Although 90% are AEF upwards  here are some the ones in flips.lol. the pen is for size difference. ;) . Sorry pic is bad think i should of used the flash 

hoard.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A little better ;) 

hoard2.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think mine is probably all more aEW (almost extremely worthless).

I might dig out some of the EF stuff for the 'bay, but other than that I have no idea what to do with it all. Melting it with a plasma cutter into artwork would be satisfying I think.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I think mine is probably all more aEW (almost extremely worthless).

I might dig out some of the EF stuff for the 'bay, but other than that I have no idea what to do with it all. Melting it with a plasma cutter into artwork would be satisfying I think.

 

lol big bag at front is all irish the others are german and commonwealth countries then there are 40 of those yellow  plastic medicine tubes with the safety lids 17x120 coin books. and the raws are in a 2 plastic fruit crates . They are mostly asian predominantly India-sri lanka-china-singapore etc. and the other is European coins from just about everywhere lol. See if they were just crappy circulated oddjobs i would sling em in a box and punt the lot out. But they are for the most part in very good order and many are unc. lots of decent dates and rarities double dies overstrikes etc. I just fear getting shot of them for the previous 2 and only auction experiences I had I was royally shafted so it's left me a bit nervous. Plus having Narcolepsy I can only put my time to anything for very short periods like 30 mins and im asleep . So cataloguing and picture taking is such a long task let alone squinting through the scope 2 coins and i'm wiped out lols. But I am sure i'll get the urge one of these days ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The joys of USB scope-camera :) no squinting, easy checking on large screen. If something then needs a good picture it can go in the photo-pile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh and not to forget these bloody little horrors lol . Everyone and his wife must have truck loads of these :P

 

pennies.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give them to me. I’ll do it. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Give them to me. I’ll do it. 🙂

Which, Zoos or mine?

If mine I really can't be sure the postage would be worth it let alone your time investment (says the man that wants to examine @Paddy's scrap bucket....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Which, Zoos or mine?

If mine I really can't be sure the postage would be worth it let alone your time investment (says the man that wants to examine @Paddy's scrap bucket....

Well it was a bit tongue in cheek but I’d happily work my way through them. I wouldn’t pay for them though. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is your foreign junk likely to have been searched before it got to you? If it has then there's probably not much to be gained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Is your foreign junk likely to have been searched before it got to you? If it has then there's probably not much to be gained.

I can't be sure, but I don't think so.

I've pulled out over 50 Euros from it, so thats a nice few free beers when I'm away next ;), Looks to be a few colonial types from the late 1800's in there and a multitude of other misc stuff from 1880 french and portuguese onwards plus all teh usual Danish, German, Helvetica etc.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2018 at 5:56 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I'm going to have to face up to the task and go through all my foreign junk soon, but I was wondering if anyone had and words of wisdom first please?

Is it worth it, or should I job-lot it all out of the door.

Is there anything I should be on the lookout for - I don't want to play variety hunting with this lot, so the totally obvious will be fine, anything microscopic will go in the pile for bulk unless it might change my life or wallet contents significantly.

It all dates from late 1800's to now-ish.

Thanking you all in advance for any wisdom imparted.

I normally go on NGC and type a few of the years in and see what they book them at. Sometimes one of your coins will surprise you how much they are worth. I even sold a holed USA Dollar flowing hair type for £250 and a 100 mils can't remember the date 1935 ish only had mintage of 200k Sold that for £200.  and a tiny silver coin with a peacock on for £150 unknown to me at the time had a character somewhere on the coin that made it a rare type. Think it was burma. And for the most part foreign coin lots are punted out by Brits so they don't have a clue what's there and can't be bothered to look unless it is something well known and some coins you wouldn't look twice at and are quite modern are worth thousands. Example 1953 canadian 5 cent NSF (no shoulder fold) Near leaf in AU-50 so GVF drum roll :P $6,900 canadian  £3000+. That's where I try to hone in on the other countries Variety types but I need more books and some of them are unbelievable how much they cost £100+. But the net has quite a lot of good sites Sammler deals with german coins and lists all the rare coins . Even the new Euro's Some of them are now worth thousands. There must be a lot of foreign coins in the marketplace for each year even dates in the 1800's are like 1971 Pennies you think they must be worth a few pennies but they are abundant even in UNC. It's worth having a look it will pay for itself :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/05/2018 at 6:23 PM, will1976 said:

I've recently disposed of a couple of kilos of foreign coinage and some obsolete banknotes through 'Left over currency' https://www.leftovercurrency.com/ None of the banknotes where decent enough grades for collecting so this was the next best option. It is a little tedious sorting all the coins and logging them in but it was worthwhile as I got back £122, it will just depend on what you have but from memory they paid quite high for Swiss and German coins. It took about a week from them receiving them to paying out

Are those prices right? some of the coins have massive values one 1955 1 llre £3 each surely not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

What new euros? as mentioned, I pulled about 50 euros out of this pile, some are aunc....

No that site i looked through the exchange rates for coins and most are just pennies as you would imagine but when i looked at the exchange rate for italian coins all were crap apart from 1955 1 lire i think the series runs from 1951-2001 for every one you send you get £3 surely that can't be right???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Are those prices right? some of the coins have massive values one 1955 1 llre £3 each surely not?

I'm not sure zoo, they paid me out at the prices they quoted on the website with no quibble

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I'm not sure zoo, they paid me out at the prices they quoted on the website with no quibble

In that case i'm about to take europe by storm and buy £6000 for £150 lol

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I punted a ton of lira a couple of months ago, worthless I thought. hmm.

Only that coin though the others are pretty much worthless. look on the site you will see it. £3 a pop. luvly jubbly :)  I will ring them tomorrow to confirm their prices before I make a suicide purchase lmao

Edited by zookeeperz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

5 centesmi are £1.50 .... thats 2 worth looking for!

Yes I saw those but I didn't want to be too greedy lols :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×