British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

Transposed?

I know the literal meaning for transpose is to place something in a different place from where it should be but how does that relate to a coin. Scot/ireland transposed? does it mean the harp is on the right and the scottish arms are on the left? or can it mean both in the same place I.e the center of a crown has a scottish lion could a irish harp be struck over it? would that also mean transposed?. Sorry education on words like that are long forgotten lol :lol:

It means the positions of the two shields in question are reversed. 

e.g. This is my York 1697 first bust shilling with the French and Irish shields the wrong way round. Normally for William III coins the English arms divide the date and going clockwise is followed by the Scottish, French and Irish shields. In this instance the Irish shield is opposite the English shield, but furthermore, it also tells us something about the person who set the dies in the coining press as the only arms in the correct place are the French, these normally sitting behind the base of the obverse. All the other three are in the wrong place with the die axis 90 degrees out, so we can deduce that the dies were aligned in the press using the French ones as the guide relative to the obverse.

A seriously rare variety, with the only other example believed extant being the ex Parsons and Jackson Kent specimen in VF.

c268-1697y shilling transposed - Copy.jpg

26 minutes ago, Rob said:

It means the positions of the two shields in question are reversed. 

e.g. This is my York 1697 first bust shilling with the French and Irish shields the wrong way round. Normally for William III coins the English arms divide the date and going clockwise is followed by the Scottish, French and Irish shields. In this instance the Irish shield is opposite the English shield, but furthermore, it also tells us something about the person who set the dies in the coining press as the only arms in the correct place are the French, these normally sitting behind the base of the obverse. All the other three are in the wrong place with the die axis 90 degrees out, so we can deduce that the dies were aligned in the press using the French ones as the guide relative to the obverse.

A seriously rare variety, with the only other example believed extant being the ex Parsons and Jackson Kent specimen in VF.

c268-1697y shilling transposed - Copy.jpg

wow nice thanks for explaining I thought it was that it's just I saw a coin with the center design looked like a harp had been struck over the lion . I say looked as it doesn't resemble a lion at all and it was on a shilling 1697. I'll just put it down to bad pictures :)