British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

Best Decimal Coins to collect - thanks, Chris

22 hours ago, Paddy said:

I am beginning to doubt all the figures released by the Royal Mint on their website. I was looking at the numbers for 2017 50ps - according to their list there were no Royal Shield ones that year - but I have one and I don't believe they are rare. Mine did not come out of a set I am pretty sure - I picked it up in loose change last year. So what is going on?

PS - I also see that they say no £1 coins were issued in 2016, just 640 million of the new ones in 2017. We all no that is wrong.

It could be the Mint is slow to issue the full figures? I remember in the late 70s seeing that the figure for 1976 50p's was less than a million, and I started collecting them avidly (though oddly I never questioned that there were plenty out there). It later turned out that that was a provisional figure only and in the end there were millions.

1 hour ago, Peckris 2 said:

It could be the Mint is slow to issue the full figures? I remember in the late 70s seeing that the figure for 1976 50p's was less than a million, and I started collecting them avidly (though oddly I never questioned that there were plenty out there). It later turned out that that was a provisional figure only and in the end there were millions.

You may be right, but as they delay releasing the figures until at least a year later now, they ought to be more up to date. It certainly doesn't explain why 2016 One Pound coins are not listed at all, two years after the event.

I emailed the Royal Mint and got a standard "Thank you for your interest and I have passed the buck" message back from Lewis.

I raised the question of inaccurate figures with the RM and got this response:

"Good afternoon Paddy,

All 2017 mintage figures will be updated on the website following the release of our Annual Report.

Kind regards,

Ceri

Ceri Davies

UK Account Manager"

I raised the query again regarding the 2016 figures being incorrect for the £1 coins and got:

"Yes, we will ensure these are updated the same time.

Kind regards,
 Ceri"

So here is hoping!

8 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

we're well into 2018, surely they had these figures by 31st Dec 2017.

Final update - Annual report is due out in the week commencing 3rd September.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Final update - Annual report is due out in the week commencing 3rd September.

Thank you Paddy for the pennies they have proved invaluable ..

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Lets hope I guessed right on some of the things I bought lol.

My moneys on the 2017 shield 50p and the jane austin coin,what did you go for.

Both of the above  plus the £5 Canute,  and a RM 2017 Annual BU coin set for god measure as it also contains all 3 and some random Beatrix Potter RM sealed BU 50p's

I had trouble getting the small change though, but put aside some unc £1 coins for posterity, and bought / found / obtained all other 50ps and £2  in uncirc condition from other sources.

-- didn't get any other commemorative £5 dross though, they're all ugly as usual.

• Like 1