British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

Best Decimal Coins to collect - thanks, Chris

3 hours ago, headsortails said:

All the ten pences and five pences pre 2011 are being recalled in and melted down.

Ahh, thanks. What's the reason? To use the metal to mint new coins?

I would guess they use the easy way to seperate them a magnet

13 hours ago, headsortails said:

All the ten pences and five pences pre 2011 are being recalled in and melted down.

Why?? :o

Think of the 2008 10p with the lion and the five pence with the thistle, i bet those are propper scarce by now i only had two of the 10ps in my change anyway they were right hard to come by.

Impossible now id say.

On 07/07/2018 at 10:18 PM, Peckris said:

Why?? :o

So the RM can package up the best ones and flog them for $$$ as "historic"?

• Like 1

1992 dot to dot, the 2008 old design 10p... couple of scarce 2ps as well

Incidentally, the old undated 20p seems to have dropped steadily in the market. Average price for (supposedly) genuine ones on Ebay is now £40 to £50. I suspect there are not enough collectors for the 200,000 odd that are supposed to be out there - the youngsters are all into the 50ps and £2 coins, and there aren't enough oldsters around. The presence of the fakes at £4.99 on the market doesn't help either.

Kews seem to have been dropping with the introduction of prooflike fakes too. I think this years budget is becoming more flexible every week ;)

On 7/17/2018 at 9:43 PM, scott said:

1992 dot to dot, the 2008 old design 10p... couple of scarce 2ps as well

What are the scarce 2p?

I think the only substantially scarce 2p is the 1983 with New Pence instead of Two Pence. Some other dates were issued in sets only - 1972, 1973, 1974, 1982, 1983, 1984 - I think, and are so a little scarcer than normal. The tales of the 1971 being scarce are a classic case of "Fake news".

I am leaving out proofs and trail coins - that is a different area all together.

the 2008 Ironside 2p 10,600,000 minted and 2017 10,900,000 according to the royal mint site

14 hours ago, scott said:

the 2008 Ironside 2p 10,600,000 minted and 2017 10,900,000 according to the royal mint site

That's scarce? :o

On 08/06/2018 at 8:50 AM, Peckris 2 said:

That's scarce? :o

It took me four years to find one of those coins in my change post 2008 and to date i have managed to collect two thats regardless of the minting figure.

Sarcerty is linked to availability is it not.

2 hours ago, headsortails said:

It took me four years to find one of those coins in my change post 2008 and to date i have managed to collect two thats regardless of the minting figure.

Sarcerty is linked to availability is it not.

Indeed it is. However, I'm utterly amazed that it took you 4 years to find in your change a coin of which there were 10m minted. Something doesn't quite square...

I think you will find the same problem with 2017 2p - still haven't seen one yet in any grade.

In 2009 i never found a decent pound coin and i think i put two in the box at collectable grade 27 milloin minted.

In 2010 the minting figure was double that and i found bucket loads,this to me makes little sense as do the minting figures on many occasions.

I think its quite probable that there is a difference in the NO. of coins circulated to that minted.

I am beginning to doubt all the figures released by the Royal Mint on their website. I was looking at the numbers for 2017 50ps - according to their list there were no Royal Shield ones that year - but I have one and I don't believe they are rare. Mine did not come out of a set I am pretty sure - I picked it up in loose change last year. So what is going on?

PS - I also see that they say no £1 coins were issued in 2016, just 640 million of the new ones in 2017. We all no that is wrong.

😕

Edited by Paddy
PS

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I am beginning to doubt all the figures released by the Royal Mint on their website. I was looking at the numbers for 2017 50ps - according to their list there were no Royal Shield ones that year - but I have one and I don't believe they are rare. Mine did not come out of a set I am pretty sure - I picked it up in loose change last year. So what is going on?

PS - I also see that they say no £1 coins were issued in 2016, just 640 million of the new ones in 2017. We all no that is wrong.

😕

surely you cannot doubt the Royal Mint Paddy !!!

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

😕

The figure will come in for the 2017 shield 50p paddy,im waiting to see that one for myself.

The coin is very light on the ground.

Am I right in saying all the smaller 2017 coins are pretty thin on the ground? I see I have none yet below the 50ps and even Ebay seems pretty sparse for them - a few very expensive and that is it.

39 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Am I right in saying all the smaller 2017 coins are pretty thin on the ground? I see I have none yet below the 50ps and even Ebay seems pretty sparse for them - a few very expensive and that is it.

Ive saw none of the small change about at all and the small change normally comes out first.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Indeed it is. However, I'm utterly amazed that it took you 4 years to find in your change a coin of which there were 10m minted. Something doesn't quite square...

10 million might sound like a lot but the less there are, the less chance of a security company delivering thousands of dollars/pounds worth to anywhere near where you live.

I'm very much into Australian decimals and anything with a mintage of lower than 10 million is, anecdotally, difficult to find.

10 hours ago, Paddy said:

😕

Issued = coins released for circulation

minted is what is says on the tin, different aspects of a production run - the only way I can see that what the RM says would fit what we know already.