British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

Best Decimal Coins to collect - thanks, Chris

What is the error? Save me looking it up.... !

:D

The reverse should be the shield, rather than the crowned lion which was used until 2008.

So in essence, a 2009 Obverse with a 2008 reverse = mule of interest.

Link to example on LCA

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
add a link
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, richtips86 said:

also the 2007 abolition of slavery £2 without initials which wasn’t included in the sets!

I read this and an alarm in my brain went off (about 5 hourts later)... then I realised you meant getting a BU currency one is damn hard (as opposed to getting a currency coin missing the initials).

Finding a currency coin with initials, that would be a new one!

EDIT: My currency one.

WIN_20180529_18_27_45_Pro.jpg

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

There is also a mule Gold 1994 K4a 300th Anniversary of the bank of England  £2 coin apparently 800 or so were struck without 2 pound in the legend because the normal george and dragon 2 pound gold obverse was used by mistake. The RM sent letters out to all who purchased the coins asking for them to be returned as they were not legal tender and would be replaced by the correct coin to keep the mintage figure true. So far 217 remain in collections. I was surprised anyone would send them back? Legal tender hogwash of an excuse. Gold has been the major real currency of the world for millennia so despite the prattlings of the RM the coin will be worth what gold is worth minimum and worth more as a mule. So for once the collector is on a win win :)

Edited by zookeeperz

No-one in their right mind would use a gold one as £2 anyway.

Can you imagine dropping one at tesco for a 1.99 item lol. Here's your penny change sir.

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

No-one in their right mind would use a gold one as £2 anyway.

Can you imagine dropping one at tesco for a 1.99 item lol. Here's your penny change sir.

Lmao yes or if it was the pound version in gold getting it stuck in the trolley hire. I would camp out till it was free. No in fact I would load the tolley in the car myself and sort it at home. This is where you have to be wary of children with seemingly good intentions running amok . "you said the other day you had no change for the trolley" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lol

5 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

The reverse should be the shield, rather than the crowned lion which was used until 2008.

So in essence, a 2009 Obverse with a 2008 reverse = mule of interest.

Are they genuine? There are so many high class fakes, I wouldn't believe this one unless it came with a RM cert of authenticity. Even then, I'd probably think twice, musing "The Mint? What do THEY know!"

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Are they genuine? There are so many high class fakes, I wouldn't believe this one unless it came with a RM cert of authenticity. Even then, I'd probably think twice, musing "The Mint? What do THEY know!"

I would look for one, but I'd certainly need the RM to accredit it before I got excited.

They've done it enough times for it to be a realistic event...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I read this and an alarm in my brain went off (about 5 hourts later)... then I realised you meant getting a BU currency one is damn hard (as opposed to getting a currency coin missing the initials).

Finding a currency coin with initials, that would be a new one!

EDIT: My currency one.

WIN_20180529_18_27_45_Pro.jpg

That’s pretty nice. I finally managed to pick one up last month for £4.80 incl. postage. Perfect condition barring a few bag marks on Her Majesty’s cheeks!

7 hours ago, richtips86 said:

Perfect condition barring a few bag marks on Her Majesty’s cheeks!

You're Prince Philip? :o

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Peckris said:

I'd imagine it is. Did fakers ever bother going down as low as 10p? 

17 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Well I have seen contemporary shillings george VI so not beyond the realms of possibility? ;) 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If the 1935 crown can be, anything can!

2 minutes ago, Peckris said:

If the 1935 crown can be, anything can!

If it were the 1934 Crown..........you'd be talking. 

• Like 1

The 2017 shield 50p is looking thin on the ground, the idea is pick coins out before the rush.

Edited by headsortails
  • Like 1

On 02/07/2018 at 7:39 PM, headsortails said:

The 2017 shield 50p is looking thin on the ground, the idea is pick coins out before the rush.

Have you seen any figures or is that just anecdotal from what you’ve seen?

On 02/07/2018 at 7:39 PM, headsortails said:

2 hours ago, richtips86 said:

Have you seen any figures or is that just anecdotal from what you’ve seen?

I concur, as for mintage figures I thik the RM gave a figure which included all the commemoratives for that year, rather than breaking it down.

The 2017 shield definitely exists in the year set, but whether many more were actually minted it's hard to tell. I haven't found any in change, but then it's literally only this week that other 2017 50p's have started circulating - there were 4 more Beatrix Potter coins along with Isaac Newton.

The don't currently show any mintage for Royal Shield for 2017, but now have the figures for all others for 2017 up Mintage Figures.

On 07/04/2018 at 9:57 PM, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I concur, as for mintage figures I thik the RM gave a figure which included all the commemoratives for that year, rather than breaking it down.

The 2017 shield definitely exists in the year set, but whether many more were actually minted it's hard to tell. I haven't found any in change, but then it's literally only this week that other 2017 50p's have started circulating - there were 4 more Beatrix Potter coins along with Isaac Newton.

The don't currently show any mintage for Royal Shield for 2017, but now have the figures for all others for 2017 up Mintage Figures.

The 2017 shield 50p was circulated, minted and batched out by last October,examples are available on ebay but i have not met any one who has personally had one in their change thats including myself.

I think I'll be waiting a bit longer yet. Coin distribution to "somwhere off the beaten track" is a little slow.

16 minutes ago, headsortails said:

Strangely I have had a 2017 Shield in circulation - I think it was the first 2017 50p I picked up. Must have been October last year.

Also seen the Newton and two of the Beatrix series - all now tucked away in my album. Still waiting to see the first of the alphabet 10ps in my change!

Also you must take into accout over 50 million 50p coins have be stamped with the beatrix potters and the isaac newton coin for 2017.

None of the new mint bags with the Jeremy fishers and tom kittens are showing any signs of 2017 shield being amongst them.

With 50 million 50ps the quota may have well more than been met.

12 minutes ago, headsortails said:

With 50 million 50ps the quota may have well more than been met.

This is the thing, I doubt there will have been many shields given that so many others have been minted, and along side the 2017's there were huge numbers of comems in 2016 too, so it could be that finding an escaped one might just be lucky!

6 hours ago, Paddy said:

Strangely I have had a 2017 Shield in circulation - I think it was the first 2017 50p I picked up. Must have been October last year.

Also seen the Newton and two of the Beatrix series - all now tucked away in my album. Still waiting to see the first of the alphabet 10ps in my change!

I have a feeling there will plenty of the alphabet coins turned out for circulation and my betting is the scarce one will be the 27th coin on the list the common shield 10p.

It may start a craze of, i beleave with the mints recall of ten pences and fives pre 2011 it will make some of those coins hard to come by for date runs.

Think of the 2010 shield 10p stamped and then recalled the very next year leaving little time for them to end up down the back of settees, collectors coins of the future.

6 hours ago, headsortails said:

Think of the 2010 shield 10p stamped and then recalled the very next year leaving little time for them to end up down the back of settees, collectors coins of the future.

Can you explain a little more about this coin? I've not heard about this before.

All the ten pences and five pences pre 2011 are being recalled in and melted down.

Just cheak your change for any given week period and see how many pre 2011 five pences and ten pences you can find,my experience tells me they are coming quite hard to come across especially the latter ones.