British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

HeavyT

Best Decimal Coins to collect - thanks, Chris

I started my coin-collecting journey about 4 or 5 years ago and I reached out to Chris for advice on key decimal coins to go for. Chris suggested the following coins:

• 1983 2p 'New Pence' Mule
  • 1994 £2 Gold Bank of England Mule
  • 1999 £2 Technology (only in uncirculated condition)
  • 2011 Olympics Aquatics withdrawn Lines on Face

I'm absolutely delighted to have finally got all of these! It took me several years but got the job done when I managed to come across 1999 Technology Coin graded by NGC MS63.

• Like 6

No mention of the largely un-acclaimed no denomination 50p? I'm sure when the dailiy rags realise and report it, there will be more interest....

Battle of britain 50p - ONLY the one in the royal mint pack ( and as far as I understand, not every pack).

Currently around £20 but watch this space I guess :)

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
monkeys spell beter than I does
  • Like 1

Some one has got to say it ...Decimal coins UUUUUUGGGGG.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

No mention of the largely un-acclaimed no denomination 50p? I'm sure when the dailiy rags realise and report it, there will be more interest....

Battle of britain 50p - ONLY the one in the royal mint pack ( and as far as I understand, not every pack).

I have seen the silver proof for sale for £20 on my travels :) 

4 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Thats a bargain but it does have a denomination.

Sorry might be at cross swords here. D-Day Landings silver proof  in the box with coa not the blister pack version which I think is BU?  what year is the no denomination 50p?

There is a hell of a lot of misinformation out there and will prove itself in years to come when folk go to sell their coins. Most are bought on the tagline "rarest 50 pence 1992-93 eec".

Which is true for the circulation issue followed by the Kew gardens. But here is the bombshell awaiting those who bought the silver proof versions and silver piedfort versions at unbelievably high prices. they are just not rare in any shape or form nowhere near it. 1992-93 eec 50 pence silver proof issued over 27,000. One of the higher mintages of the themed 50 pences yet it still sells at over £60. compare that to battle of Britain silver proof  2015 only 3,000 issued and you can pick them up for £20. Even kew gardens silver proof 7,575 issued sells for ridiculous amounts and all this is because of wrong information and hyping the coin as if it were 1 issue. If the daily mail,sun,mirror were to print that only circulation issues were scarce the prices for the other would fall in line with the rest of the 50 pence issues .There are a lot of 50 pence coins I would rather punt at if i was that way inclined. numero uno and the rarest piedfort 50 pence by far Christopher Ironside issue 816 that is going to be the next Benjamin Britten and comparing it against the  EEC with 10,993 piedforts and kew gardens 2,967 is a much rarer issue and still you can pick that up if your lucky for £70 very underrated and if the dailies get wind of it well we know what will happen:P

5 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

2015 Battle of Britain

20180527_143445.jpg

20180527_143505.jpg

yes there are a few of those on the bay £18.75 BU packs

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

.There are a lot of 50 pence coins I would rather punt at if i was that way inclined. numero uno and the rarest piedfort 50 pence by far Christopher Ironside issue 816 that is going to be the next Benjamin Britten and comparing it against the  EEC with 10,993 piedforts and kew gardens 2,967 is a much rarer issue and still you can pick that up if your lucky for £70 very underrated and if the dailies get wind of it well we know what will happen

If anyone is interested there's one on the bay for £50 with free postage https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1992-to-2017-Silver-Proof-50p-Fifty-Pence-Royal-Mint-choose-your-date-cased-COA/192277135382?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=492208581909&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Edit: my apologies it's only the standard proof version

Edited by will1976

21 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Well I hope you are right as I have just invested in one - actually in the First day issue set but pictures clearly show it missing the denomination.

fingers crossed.

If i was a gambling man I'd buy a bunch more for good measure but I almost always chicken out and then get proven correct!

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

fingers crossed.

If i was a gambling man I'd buy a bunch more for good measure but I almost always chicken out and then get proven correct!

I though they all had missing denomination? Normandy landings D-Day has the 50 on but I can't say I have seen battle of britain with a 50 on?

1 minute ago, zookeeperz said:

I though they all had missing denomination? Normandy landings D-Day has the 50 on but I can't say I have seen battle of britain with a 50 on?

The silver proof and the circulation ones both have "Fifty pence" on the obvserse, some of the packs don't.

2 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

The silver proof and the circulation ones both have "Fifty pence" on the obvserse, some of the packs don't.

you know there are two types for that year same reverse but different heads one has the old style head and one more like the head on the new pound coins? H29 and H31 both 2015

Edited by zookeeperz

Actually the picture in spinks doesn't show either with fifty pence in the legend and the later one H31 wasn't a circulation issue and only comes in Silver proof, piedfort and gold. Looks like an error on spinks they don't show a circulation issue for H31 and there clearly are coz I have seen loads and all have 50 pence on them. Be interesting to see if the 5th head version has both. I am getting the feeling it could be misinformation. The old head has no denomination as of yet I have not seen one of those with it and like wise the other new head without. Who knows lol:rolleyes:

Edited by zookeeperz

Apologies for the thread hijack @HeavyT.

The currency release featured the Jody Clark Portrait with the "fifty pence" inscription.

At least some of the BU packs feature the portrait by Ian Rank-Broadley without the inscription.

The silver Proofs (some of?) have a portrait by Jody Clark also without an enscription.

This particular coin comes in at least 3 varieties, but the royal mint seem reluctant to release mintage figures for each variety, only stating that there was amintage of this commemorative coin.

The coin above in the set pictured is the older head h29 Spink give no information at all on mintage figures for circulation issues only the silvers and gold. Same for the h31 but they don't even show it as a circulation issue. Pretty poor info really

So at least we know this issue has both designs. Not sure if the older head has both? Just a thought as it was circulation would it of needed to have the wording 50 pence by law to distinguish what coin it was? perhaps the non circulation issues didn't need it?

2015h31.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz

On 26/05/2018 at 4:02 PM, HeavyT said:

I started my coin-collecting journey about 4 or 5 years ago and I reached out to Chris for advice on key decimal coins to go for. Chris suggested the following coins:

• 1983 2p 'New Pence' Mule
  • 1994 £2 Gold Bank of England Mule
  • 1999 £2 Technology (only in uncirculated condition)
  • 2011 Olympics Aquatics withdrawn Lines on Face

I'm absolutely delighted to have finally got all of these! It took me several years but got the job done when I managed to come across 1999 Technology Coin graded by NGC MS63.

Nice going! Like you I’m after these types of coins for the thrill of the chase. Anything else is achievable if you want to pay for it. These you have to put the hours in searching for!

However, what about the 2007 £2 technological achievements in BU which like 1999 wasn’t included in any sets and then also the 2007 abolition of slavery £2 without initials which wasn’t included in the sets! 

Im also after the 2009 10p mule however I’ve only seen evidence of it in a LCA auction in 2015!

19 minutes ago, richtips86 said:

Im also after the 2009 10p mule however I’ve only seen evidence of it in a LCA auction in 2015!

That's going to be a fun one!

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

That's going to be a fun one!

What I don’t know is how could the one for sale via LCA be one of only two possible examples? How could two coins be released with the error but not more?

1 hour ago, richtips86 said:

What I don’t know is how could the one for sale via LCA be one of only two possible examples? How could two coins be released with the error but not more?

Possibly because no-one actually looked at them, it's certainly not high on my mental list when I get change these days (although it should be I guess).