British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi. Just wondered if anyone can help me. I am sorting through some coins for my wife, given to her by her grandfather. I have come across a One Penny coin from 1882 (Queen Victoria's era), as it states Victoria on the coin, however it doesn't have her head on it. Instead it has a man's head which I believe to be (possibly) King Edward VII. Can anyone shed any light on why this? Surely it should have her head on it, unless it's a misprint? Thank you.

Edited by bradwobro
Added extra information
  • Like 1

Hi @bradwobro.

I think we will need pictures to be able to help you. We will be guessing without seeing what you are seeing.

Its just an 1882 penny that's been hand engraved, but I must say quite professionally done. 

• Like 1

Very nicely done! It would be good to see the other side too.

There is a small market for this sort of thing - the purist penny collectors will not touch it, but the token and counter-stamp people may well want it. As it is such a well done example and in great condition I expect someone would pay up to £20 for it. I have seen EdVII and George V pennies engraved to give the king a pipe to smoke making this sort of money.

trench art. some can fetch quite a few bob. I'd certainly shell out £20 for it B) nudge nudge

Edited by zookeeperz

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

Very nicely done! It would be good to see the other side too.

There is a small market for this sort of thing - the purist penny collectors will not touch it, but the token and counter-stamp people may well want it. As it is such a well done example and in great condition I expect someone would pay up to £20 for it. I have seen EdVII and George V pennies engraved to give the king a pipe to smoke making this sort of money.

The best one I've seen is Victoria on her potty!

Victoria on the loo!.jpg

• Like 7

There is a small market for this sort of thing 

That would be me then! :) That's a nicely engraved "love token" Do you want to sell it?

Peck is that your "potty" penny?  Here's the nearest one I have on a 1827 half paenny ...

naked B..gif

• Like 1

Not mine, though I'd love to own it!