British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coinless

A few newbie questions

Hi all I just found this forum,

I've been a collector of coins since I was a kid at least 20+ years, I mainly started because I liked the look of unusual coins and have been saving coins up whenever I've gotten them in my change since. (times got hard once and broke my heart having to actually spend some of the duplicates for face value for food)

I still have quite a few 50ps,pounds and £2's mainly maybe around £300. Now with so many errors, different coins its hard to know if i've got something rare or something worth the price of the coin x2 best case.

There's so many fake prices, rarity about coins it's hard to know what is what.

What would be the best way of finding the rare ones?

Would the coin book version 2 help a lot?

What information does it give?

if I took a picture of every coin is it something people would look through?

I don't intend on selling anytime soon but, it's always best to plan ahead incase the worst ever happens again and knowing if I can eat like a king or pot noodles makes a lot of difference when that happens. They might not be worth tons but knowing is half the battle when coming to selling in a rush.

Edit: It's 4am and shall do more research on this forum tomorrow. I hope no one minds I haven't had time to look around here much.

Edited by Coinless

When you say "coin book version 2", do you mean Collectors' Coins, Decimals, as pictured above? The answer would be "yes" if that's what you collect and are interested in. It should list the major varieties though - and I don't know the answer to this as I don't have a copy - it may not go into the excruciating level of detail as the Ron Stafford surveys of 10p and 5p coins he did in the 70s and early 80s.

By all means photograph your coins, but apart from the odd one you want to know more about, e.g. is it a rare variety, don't post them here! Upload them to a host site e.g. OneDrive (try to avoid Photobucket) and post the link here so that interested members can have a look.

Are you an American who's been living in the UK for years?

Thanks for the tip about regarding uploading, knowing me I would've loaded one by one to imgur :rolleyes:. I shall look into getting the book for sure as that's what I do collect. I do have some other random coins but it's mainly british decimals coins.

I was born in the UK.

I do know some things to look for the only problem I've noticed nowadays there's way more fake prices going around dailymail/facebook stating extremely common coins are rare that's what makes it more confusing. When trying to memorize the coins and your head gets filled with fake info whilst researching that doesn't help. I thought it's about time I join a forum where people are the same as me to share/gather knowledge and make it a lot easier to keep track of coins. There's alot of coins with errors which can be easily missed and i intend of browsing the forum more today, last night I thought would be nice to wake up having a headstart on what to do.

Thanks for the reply Peckris

wow wrote a long essay and "some error blah blah page ./!" and no post.

Doh.

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

lol that bites :lol:

4 hours ago, Coinless said:

I was born in the UK.

It was your use of "gotten" which is 100% an Americanism (one of the more acceptable ones IMO!)

Gotten is a pure English  form as the past participle of Got, if somewhat archaic. There are a lot of UK pubs called the Litten Tree, another example of the ten ending, this time as an adjective.

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

Gotten is a pure English  form as the past participle of Got, if somewhat archaic. There are a lot of UK pubs called the Litten Tree, another example of the ten ending, this time as an adjective.

That's what I meant to say - "gotten" is old English, but still used 100% by Americans who never say "got", and not used by Brits which is a bit of a shame.

19 hours ago, Peckris said:

It was your use of "gotten" which is 100% an Americanism (one of the more acceptable ones IMO!)

Ill gotten gains?

Excuse me I hail from a county which has its own Dialect  I am allowed to say gotten :lol:

6 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Ill gotten gains?

Ok! You found one idiom where it survives! However that wasn't the usage above, I'll say no more. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Excuse me I hail from a county which has its own Dialect  I am allowed to say gotten :lol:

All counties have their own dialect (except possibly the Home Counties where they all speak Smuggish :lol:)

Gotten is "old" English as many so called Ameriicisms are. They have simply fallen out use in the UK but retained in the US. Examples the fall, creek turnpike. Even the spelling of honor US, honour UK is an older spellling. Note Honor Oak in London

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

Ok! You found one idiom where it survives! However that wasn't the usage above, I'll say no more. :rolleyes:

All counties have their own dialect (except possibly the Home Counties where they all speak Smuggish :lol:)

Ok I meant to say we have our own language in essex and it is recognised as such. My Mother was watching some old movie the other day and even though they were all with cockney accents they were more polite and understandable than folk are today.:P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

Gotten is "old" English as many so called Ameriicisms are. They have simply fallen out use in the UK but retained in the US. Examples the fall, creek turnpike. Even the spelling of honor US, honour UK is an older spellling. Note Honor Oak in London

Well that's just typical yanks for you aint it. they take something from someone else and try and convince everyone they invented it. It's our language leave it alone. Without us Brits the world would be nothing today.:lol:

8 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Ok I meant to say we have our own language in essex and it is recognised as such. My Mother was watching some old movie the other day and even though they were all with cockney accents they were more polite and understandable than folk are today.:P

Very true. Although I think there are two distinct dialects in Essex. The one is a kind of subdued cockney, the other - when you get to places like Colchester - is very East Anglian. In fact, even in the short distance from Chelmsford to Witham, you notice the change in accent to more rural. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Did we ever call Autumn "Fall"? Never realised that before.  

17 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

The only time i recall fall ever being used was to remember when the clocks changed from Winter to British summertime but not used in the same meaning as in autumn . Just something we were taught as kids to make it easier  "spring forward" "fall backwards"  but I have never heard anyone use it but I am sure there are many . When you hear the weather people they always refer to the seasons as in the traditional sense with the usual phrase of "autumnal evenings" but never fall :) 

• Like 1

We always used fall for that season. Then some smug bastard imported l'automne from France, and down the slippery slope we went.

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Apparently everyone knew a certain element as "aluminum" until the mid-19th Century when Brits added the extra "i" to bring it line with magnesium etc.

I never knew that snippet of etymology re: aluminum aluminium I always just assumed it to be a suffix for an element ..,.you earn something every day here:)

• Like 1

I guess two of the more controversial ones would be Fanny and Fag.  Which is quite funny in the sense of when you hear the sentence " Could I bum a fag of you please mate" Certainly open to interpretation that one. Said in the wrong country could end up the cause of a fat lip. :lol: The bum part refers to a tramp/bum (down and out) don't have any cigarettes because I am skint

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

Durex is another one to get you in trouble. Means condom in English but sticky tape in American.

Rubber is another - means eraser in English but condom in American!

Edited by Paddy
Another thought
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

yes. don't bum a fag on the subway in the UK!

And there's another one! Subway is a seller of rather poor sandwiches in the UK, while the Tube is America's Metro. 

If you run around the street in america in your pants nobody would blink an eyelid but Do that in the UK you would be arrested for indecent exposure :lol: