British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

You'd think they'd slab them straight, omg I'd send them back to be re-done!

Beautiful vicky proof though.

Wow to the first one, for me :wub:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Wow to the first one, for me :wub:

I fancy that too but I'll let you have it this time. :)

1927 PF62 1/2 Crown sold recently for £53000 :) link

• Like 1

good news is the 3 pence might be affordable, a proof 4 pence example sold 2016 for a measly £5400

I never could quite sync up on this coin - when I did have the money (and they were a lot cheaper), none were available. And now 2 selling in such a short period. I guess this is Tyrant territory nowadays....

£5000 seems (relatively) cheap to me considering the 2x? gold GV sixpence sold in the last few years for over 20k 

2 hours ago, rpeddie said:

£5000 seems (relatively) cheap to me considering the 2x? gold GV sixpence sold in the last few years for over 20k 

Maybe within reach 🤔 be interesting to see what kind of reserve Heritage put on them...

Yes, I'd expect the 3d will go double or above that amount of estimate. Please see results from the recent DNW sale of late Vicky groats; my surprise is if it would go less than 15k.

I couldn't find many examples of the 3d but I'm still new to finding exactly where to look, 15k would suprise me (cheap at that price) from my limited knowledge of gold - mostly because I can't afford it so I try not to cause myself pain by looking :)

• Like 1

That collection did not have any, just the early Vick proof groats went very high. I seem to recall some years ago one going for around 11k - and that was SOME years ago. I will stick to the "over" on the 15k.

• Like 1

Not sure if that is gold gold if you know what I mean. A lot more than 42 quid's worth of gold if it were actually that. I tend to think not; also, a lot of toning for gold.

On 5/18/2018 at 3:09 PM, jasonsewell said:

Couple of beauty's coming up at Heritage. Think they'll be a little out of reach for me...

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/proof-pr64-ngc-/p/3066-31009.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I fully agree jasonsewell, that halfcrown is a real beauty, and though not my line of collecting I can still appreciate the DeS' busts, real works of art, and I do have a penchant for an off-metal rarity to boot. The reverse is of equal merit, beautiful work, one of the better halfcrown reverses I find, and in gold it is more impressive. Would be a joy to behold and hold in hand I'm sure.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:00 PM, rpeddie said:

1927 PF62 1/2 Crown sold recently for £53000 :) link

Above, I see two 'expertly' graded NGC boxes where, if you swapped the labels around, it might be closer to the truth (imo).

the PF62 is just a lower res image, if you look at it closely its got a bit of damage on the face as well as being significantly off centre struck for a proof.(this alone on a proof i feel is enough to downgrade)

Also for once i feel the heritage image is sub par, the Japanese one is a bit better exposure and colour has been manipulated a bit 

Beautiful coins above. 

I'd love to see a pic of the unique Freemans 2 & 34 (1860 and 1861) Victorian penny gold proofs. 

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

I'd love to see a pic of the unique Freeman 2 penny

1860 F2 rev.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, secret santa said:

1860 F2 rev.jpg

Thank you Richard :)

I believe these gold proofs are undervalued in relation to US coins, a coin as rare as the 1927 halfcrown in gold would be nearer to a million dollars or more if it was a US coin.

Difficult to say what it will go for. Looking at the link above, I'm surprised Heritage don't give an estimate, as any large number would surely increase the number of eyeballs, human avarice and envy being what it is. 

13 hours ago, NRP said:

I believe these gold proofs are undervalued in relation to US coins, a coin as rare as the 1927 halfcrown in gold would be nearer to a million dollars or more if it was a US coin.

It's well known fact that Americans (apaart from members of this forum ;)) have more money than sense.

• Like 1