British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

1953 Brass Threepence Obv

Hi guys can anyone please confirm I have got the 1953 Brass Threepence two variations of Obv correct. I am still on a steep learning curve with variations, so am hoping I have this right.

Obv 1                                                                                                Obv 2

Threepence Brass Obv 1.jpgThreepence Brass Obv 2.jpg

2 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Hi guys can anyone please confirm I have got the 1953 Brass Threepence two variations of Obv correct. I am still on a steep learning curve with variations, so am hoping I have this right.

Obv 1                                                                                                Obv 2

Threepence Brass Obv 1.jpgThreepence Brass Obv 2.jpg

Correct. The obvious pointer (literally) is the 'I' in 'ELIZABETH', which is either pointing to the right of a corner or pointing to a corner.

• Like 1

Well I see 2 variations but weather they are the official ones. the Angle on the H of Elizabeth favours the left upright whereas on the 2nd coin it is dead center of the H. Same for the OMN The M on first coin favours the center of the M and the 2 nd coin is closer to the right upright if that makes sense but defo different legend positions :)

• Like 1

Is one out of the plastic set and the other current circulateing coin ?

Number 1 looks lightly struck  more than most , plastic set?

48 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Is one out of the plastic set and the other current circulateing coin ?

Number 1 looks lightly struck  more than most , plastic set?

I think you are right. Here is what I found about them from Declan,s Website.

Obverse 1 was originally the scarcer of the two 1953 coins, as it was only found in the plastic sets, and 1.3 million of those were issued, compared to more than 30 million Obverse 2s. As circulation took its toll, and as more plastic sets were split, Obverse 1 gradually became commoner in high grade. It is now quite unusual to find an Uncirculated Obverse 2. Not Rare, by any means, but unusual.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I have now added the pictures to my website with details of what to look out for. I am really enjoying trying to find varieties on the coins I have.

10 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I think you are right. Here is what I found about them from Declan,s Website.

Obverse 1 was originally the scarcer of the two 1953 coins, as it was only found in the plastic sets, and 1.3 million of those were issued, compared to more than 30 million Obverse 2s. As circulation took its toll, and as more plastic sets were split, Obverse 1 gradually became commoner in high grade. It is now quite unusual to find an Uncirculated Obverse 2. Not Rare, by any means, but unusual.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I have now added the pictures to my website with details of what to look out for. I am really enjoying trying to find varieties on the coins I have.

Yes the plastic set coins are more common

The 1953 plastic sets were astonishingly overhyped and overvalued in the late 60s*. They were often on sale for well over what you can pick one up for now - which in real terms is something like 20 or 30 times more. Yet with the gradual erosion of them by splitting (intentionally or simply from the crap plastic used), complete sets are now actually rarer than they were back then.

*probably because the mintage was around 1m, which was pretty scarce when predecimal circulated, but as we know from the fate of the 1965S shilling, means diddley-squat now.

Edited by Peckris

4 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I am really enjoying trying to find varieties on the coins I have.

Your catching the bug, that's why I collect pennies, there's millions of them. :blink: :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Your catching the bug, that's why I collect pennies, there's millions of them. :blink: :D

Yes, I sure am. Although I don't collect pennies I do have a few in coin sets. I would imagine it's far easier to spot variations on a much larger coin though. My problem is I am collecting the smaller coins sixpences, threepences, and farthings so identification is a lot harder I think. I also have the problem of what do I buy next having gaps in all the collections. I am finding it hard to choose sometimes when I find coins I need in each of the collections and only have funds for maybe 1 or 2 coins which to add too first. 

I wish I could stick to say one collection but as yet haven't been able to let go of the others and concentrate just say sixpences. It's really hard to choose what to drop if any.

9 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Yes, I sure am. Although I don't collect pennies I do have a few in coin sets. I would imagine it's far easier to spot variations on a much larger coin though. My problem is I am collecting the smaller coins sixpences, threepences, and farthings so identification is a lot harder I think. I also have the problem of what do I buy next having gaps in all the collections. I am finding it hard to choose sometimes when I find coins I need in each of the collections and only have funds for maybe 1 or 2 coins which to add too first. 

I wish I could stick to say one collection but as yet haven't been able to let go of the others and concentrate just say sixpences. It's really hard to choose what to drop if any.

It's worth pointing out that there are far fewer varieties on small coins, probably because any slight flaws were very hard to see in a casual glance, so the Mint would not have bothered correcting them. Having said that, there are so many more varieties in pennies than - say - halfcrowns or florins. One reason may be that the introduction of bronze was so challenging and that the problems showed up more on pennies. But do note that there are still many early bronze varieties on halfpennies too, but because they're less popular, they're less collected and analysed. There are probably many yet waiting to be studied and catalogued, a fascinating project for someone.

I think the humble sixpence is my favourite small coin.

• Like 2

On 16/05/2018 at 8:04 PM, Peckris said:

The 1953 plastic sets were astonishingly overhyped and overvalued in the late 60s*. They were often on sale for well over what you can pick one up for now - which in real terms is something like 20 or 30 times more. Yet with the gradual erosion of them by splitting (intentionally or simply from the crap plastic used), complete sets are now actually rarer than they were back then.

*probably because the mintage was around 1m, which

I picked a set up the other day at a flea market of £3 , totally mint grade would sell on ebay for £15

On the other hand between 1953 and 1962 or so many sets were broken up to spend as the set retailed for only a small premium over face the only 1953 pennies in circulation came from these sets I believe , everything else was issed as per circulation.

Well I never even knew about these obverse varieties.  I've just checked my 1953 Unc and it's an Obverse 1, so I suspect it was originally from the sets.

• Like 1