British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

kieran

new to coins

Beautiful coins chaps just stunning :D

Yes Hat off for posting the pictures...its making me want to start buying a few :o

Great work everyone! :P

Here's another in case you are bored.

1824 uniface halfcrown.jpg

• Like 3

Someone needs to finish the rest of that one!

6 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes Hat off for posting the pictures...its making me want to start buying a few :o

Well you've got all the pennies so it's probably time you started on something else. ;)

1 (1) - Copy.jpg1 (8) - Copy.jpg1 (2) - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

1 (3) - Copy.jpg1 (9) - Copy.jpg1 (4) - Copy.jpg1 (10) - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I'm not sure the reverse uniface exists - I'm certainly not aware of one. I do know there are at least 2 of these obverse unifaces as Murdoch III lots 417 & 418 both had an example with the first coming from the L C Wyon collection sold in 1901. However, there was wasn't one in Montagu (1890), who had only a full coin dated 1825. That suggests the ESC rating of R4 is way out because it is highly unlikely Montagu wouldn't be able to acquire something with '11-20 known' given he had everything else! 

This coin was ex-Whetmore 355 and Adams 628 based on the latter's notes from Baldwin, however, following his sale it was entombed and attributed to Lingford on the label. At no point do his notes or any correspondence say Lingford, so I think that was either wrong, or somebody knew something Colin didn't as he had close on a hundred ex Lingford coins and you can't mistake L's tickets.

We can say with reasonable certainty that the Barton's Metal patterns were among the last 1824 halfcrowns struck as the die is breaking up.

Edited by Rob

39 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

:D nice joke

1 (5) - Copy.JPG1 (11) - Copy.JPG1 (6) - Copy.jpg1 (12) - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

1 (7) - Copy.jpg1 (14) - Copy.JPG1 (17) - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

1816 halfc obv.jpg   1816 halfc rev.jpg

1823 halfc obv.jpg   1823 halfc rev.jpg

• Like 1

1817 halfc obv.jpg   1817 halfc rev.jpg

22 hours ago, Paddy said:

That might be cruel - but I did pick up this one as an upgrade the other day. Not necessarily my favourite - I have posted those elsewhere - but not bad:

1891 HC 1 Red.JPG

1891 HC 2 Red.JPG

:o:oi like i like a lottttttttttt

• Like 1

these coins are all so stunning i have massive coin envy. thanks a lot guys :angry::lol::lol: time to spend a lot of money on some half crowns :lol:

10 minutes ago, kieran said:

these coins are all so stunning i have massive coin envy. thanks a lot guys :angry::lol::lol: time to spend a lot of money on some half crowns :lol:

Take your time kieran.....The people posting the pictures know what to buy and would not like you to just start buying Rang ;)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Take your time kieran.....The people posting the pictures know what to buy and would not like you to just start buying Rang ;)

... and for the unitiated, "Rang" is Peter's word for worthless or ugly coins. Translation service free of charge. :D

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kieran said:

You don't have to spend a lot, my 1887 halfcrown in this thread cost me £18.75 or there abouts because the (ebay)auction ended at nearly 3AM when no-one else was daft enough to be awake for a UK only sale.

I will admit I chucked 40 quid at in in the closing seconds to be reasonably sure of a win and was remarkably suprised to get it for below average :)

definitely get the "Grading British Coins" book, so you know exactly which parts to look at on the coins before bidding!

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist

On 18/05/2018 at 11:15 AM, Nonmortuus said:

1746-halfcrown.jpg1834-hc.jpg1887-hc-3.jpg1897-hc.jpg1902-hc.jpg1913-hc3.jpg1925-hc.jpg

The 1897 is beautiful!

I'd ask for dibs on the next sale but fear it might break me for a couple of months!

• Like 2

A few of my half crowns, a bit late to the party!

charles_i_hc_york_ref_01116_08_24001.jpg

1689_hc_2nd_shield_03_cgs_50_uin_38006_1

1693_hc_04_cgs_40_uin_38005_1300.jpg

1698_hc_ref_01368_01_01_1600.jpg

• Like 4