British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Is there such a thing as an 1859/8 Halfpenny?

Looking for expertise please. I picked up the attached Halfpenny cheaply today - the seller had it marked as 1858, but on closer examination it appears to be 1859 with another number, possibly and 8, under the last digit. 3 Questions:

1. Is this a recognised variety? (I have Freeman but no other books on varieties.)
2. Is this an example of such a thing?
3. Whether I should try to clear off the verdigris, and if so, how?

Cheers,

1859 HD Query 1 Red.JPG

1859 HD Query 2.JPG

Yes, there are two 9/8 dies if I remember correctly

• Like 1

As for the verdigris, I would personally bin it given the number of scratches from previous attempts to remove the mess and upgrade to one that's only a midge's off unc from yours truly :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rob said:

As for the verdigris, I would personally bin it given the number of scratches from previous attempts to remove the mess and upgrade to one that's only a midge's off unc from yours truly :)

Ah yes - but I guess yours will not be cheap? BTW I don't think I have your website...

Ooo, Paddy, that verdigris is grim. :blink: I don't see how that can be removed. What made you buy it? I know you said it was cheap but I don't think I'd give you 30p for it. :huh:

3 minutes ago, Rob said:

You looked at it a month or so ago, but here it is anyway. https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/

Whoops - can't work out where I left my memory. :D

Clearly with your wallet. :P

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Rob said:

You looked at it a month or so ago, but here it is anyway. https://www.rpcoins.co.uk/

You ought to put that in your signature or profile Rob - I've lost count of the times I've tried to remember what it is!

I wonder if the Verdcare  (sp?) would work. You've not much to lose. I wouldn't toss it until I had the replacement...LOL

It cost me so little that I am using it as practice - trying a range of chemicals in increasing strength to see what happens. If I succeed in stripping it to bare metal I will then experiment with re-toning. If it looks any good at the end, I will post a picture - if not you wont hear from me again on the subject.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

It cost me so little that I am using it as practice - trying a range of chemicals in increasing strength to see what happens. If I succeed in stripping it to bare metal I will then experiment with re-toning. If it looks any good at the end, I will post a picture - if not you wont hear from me again on the subject.

I think it might be interesting to hear how it goes with images too .. nice to see just how much abuse you can give something in stages before completely killing it :)

AKA when to stop / quit / sling it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VickySilver said:

I wonder if the Verdcare  (sp?) would work. You've not much to lose. I wouldn't toss it until I had the replacement...LOL

Nope. Verdicare won't touch that. It's quite good for early stage verdigris and loosening grime though.

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I for one would like to see how you get on Paddy. :)

Yes, please keep us posted. I have an 1845 1/2 d that I am leaving alone (someone else had failed a cleaning test but it has retoned) but would like to practice!

Well as you asked so nicely, here is progress over a number of posts.

I tried Lemon Juice and then vinegar - no effect at all.

I then went to ammonia, which is excellent at removing verdigris, but of course removes a lot more. After careful dabbing with a cotton bud we got to this:

1859 HD Part cleaned 1 Red.JPG

1859 HD Part cleaned 2 Red.JPG

With the verdigris pretty much eliminated I went to work on the black staining, which the ammonia didn't touch. I tried detergent and surgical spirit - no response, so on to the next "killer" - Cillet Bang:

1859 HD Part Cleaned 3 Red.JPG

1859 HD Part cleaned 4 Red.JPG

The Cillet Bang wouldn't shift anymore black, so out come the big guns - Hydrochloric acid (available surprisingly easily as "Spirit of Salts" at the local hardware store):

1859 HD Part cleaned 5 Red.JPG

1859 HD Part cleaned 6 Red.JPG

So now all I need to do is "retone" it somehow. I have tried one suggested technique - mineral oil and gentle heating over a gas flame - but it has made little difference. It is now sat ready for the sunshine in the morning to see if that helps, though that may be a long process. I wondering whether to buy some Sodium Sulfide on the web to accelerate the process....

Edited by Paddy

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

The Cillet Bang wouldn't shift anymore black, so out come the big guns - Hydrochloric acid (available surprisingly easily as "Spirit of Salts" at the local hardware store):

1859 HD Part cleaned 5 Red.JPG

1859 HD Part cleaned 6 Red.JPG

So now all I need to do is "retone" it somehow. I have tried one suggested technique - mineral oil and gentle heating over a gas flame - but it has made little difference. It is now sat ready for the sunshine in the morning to see if that helps, though that may be a long process. I wondering whether to buy some Sodium Sulfide on the web to accelerate the process....

You might try putting a light coat of olive oil on the coin (dob off excess oil) and bake it in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes for each side. I use a glass dish to bake it in. That should tone it. If you want it darker...do it again!

• Like 1

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 7:42 PM, mrbadexample said:

Nope. Verdicare won't touch that. It's quite good for early stage verdigris and loosening grime though.

One of my unofficial farthings has two small spots of verd and I've considered using verdicare on it but i cant find a UK supplier. Is it only available in the states?

2 hours ago, will1976 said:

One of my unofficial farthings has two small spots of verd and I've considered using verdicare on it but i cant find a UK supplier. Is it only available in the states?

I had to get mine from the States. :(

I think vinegar will shift verdigris but you need patience.

Anyway, good to see you sorted it out.

14 hours ago, RLC35 said:

You might try putting a light coat of olive oil on the coin (dob off excess oil) and bake it in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes for each side. I use a glass dish to bake it in. That should tone it. If you want it darker...do it again!

Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

Fahrenheit or Centigrade?

Surely Centigrade is only for US coins?

• Like 1