British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Zo Arms

1860 penny. Beaded borders.

Hi all. 

Could I ask your opinion on die pairings please? I've listed an 1860, beaded borders penny on ebay. 

Item number 263667265447. The only current beaded listed. Apologies for not having a link. 

After a lot of head scratching I came up with 1** + B. Joined RE in REG and the colon indent on FD. Would that be correct or am missing something?

All advice and criticism welcome. 

Thanks

Bob. 

Hi Bob,

I did ponder over this one when it was first listed, and decided that it was probably an F6. One of the problems I found was that the obverse photo is slanted, making the border rim appear quite thick towards the viewer, but it appears thinner away from the viewer; a 1* or 1** obverse should have an evenly thick rim. It may be slightly off-struck. The angle of the eyes is difficult to judge because of the slanting photo. The bust does not appear to touch the beaded border, and the linear circle is well defined. I am not convinced by the size of shamrock, but either way the other obverse 1* identifiers would have to be present. I will stick with F6, 1+B but if you can take a truly vertical obverse photo that would clarify the issue.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. 

To cut a very long story short, I've uploaded a photo to the gaming tokens I have listed. ( I uploaded a different 1860 penny to the beaded listing and I can't delete it). I hope that helps. And apologies for the runaround. 

Bob 

Hi Bob, from the new pic it is definitely not an * obverse, the eye line is horizontal, and the bust is clear of the normal thickness beaded border. It is definitely F6.

Jerry

Hi Jerry. Thank you for taking the time and the trouble to take a look. It's the advice and knowledge that yourself and the rest of the gang impart freely, that makes this hobby such a pleasure. 

I'll amend the listing accordingly. Cheers. 

Bob

• Like 3