British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Market stall - Barnstaple and South Molton

In case anyone is down in North Devon occasionally, I put a coin stall out at the markets once in a while. Feel free to pop by if you are in the area, but if you are after particular stuff it would be wise to PM me first so I make sure I bring out what you want.

Upcoming:

Barnstaple Pannier market - Wednesday 16th May

South Molton Pannier market (flea market) Sunday 3rd June and Sunday 17th June.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

In case anyone is down in North Devon occasionally, I put a coin stall out at the markets once in a while. Feel free to pop by if you are in the area, but if you are after particular stuff it would be wise to PM me first so I make sure I bring out what you want.

Upcoming:

Barnstaple Pannier market - Wednesday 16th May

South Molton Pannier market (flea market) Sunday 3rd June and Sunday 17th June.

Should be a law against selling Fleas :lol:

Can I get a crystal ball please - that way I'd know if you had what I wanted before I left the house for a 2 hour drive :)

(or pm me with a list  :) )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Can I get a crystal ball please - that way I'd know if you had what I wanted before I left the house for a 2 hour drive :)

(or pm me with a list  :) )

Heck I am only just getting round to listing my own collection, let alone the spares! :D

There are boxes of Pennies labelled up - one for pre-1911, the other for 1911 to 1967. There is another for Halfpennies, another for farthings, another for Threepences. There are trays of hammered and Roman, trays and boxes of assorted foreign. Quite a few shillings and some great 20th century florins and halfcrowns, but much lower volumes in the bigger stuff as that sell more easily at markets.

Best is if you have an excuse to come down this way, let me know and we can arrange to meet outside the market days - that way we can explore the boxes and chat without the pressure of time or customers. I might even let you look at the collection!

• Like 2

In case anyone is interested and down in North Devon, I will be stalled out at South Molton Pannier market this Sunday, 17th June, and again at Barnstaple pannier market on Wednesday 20th June.

If you plan to show up, please give me a little forewarning so I can make sure I bring the right stuff along for you!

• Like 1

On 11/05/2018 at 1:35 PM, zookeeperz said:

Should be a law against selling Fleas :lol:

my cat gives them away for free

• Like 1

To be honest I really admire someone having a go on a market /car boot/ fleamarket , you really will have your work cut out gaining customers and as coin selling is so internet based now you have a real job on your hands - like I said full marks for having a go though.

• Like 1

Thanks for the support!

I find that I mostly end up selling small-beer stuff: low value foreign coins, decimal 50ps and £2s and some of the British Crowns (1965 to 1981) to youngsters. For all these I see my job more proselytising than making a profit. Once in a while I pick up a serious collector, but most of the sales to them are done through subsequent private meetings or negotiations via email.

The other key reason for doing it is that occasionally someone will bring me "Granny's box of old coins" and that is generally the best source for exciting new stock! 

• Like 5

I think it is nice doing it for no other reason than it's quite a sociable event I'm sure. Coins are often a nice conversation starter as people wander around. I used to do one once a month in Bournemouth well Canford cliff and never sold anything but I just saw it as a social event. Oh I do miss Dorset. Good luck paddy. 

• Like 2

I rented a cabinet in a Midlands antique centre some years ago. I could NEVER predict what was going to sell. Apart from one thing - I picked up a lot cheap from W&W which was basically a load of Sandhill year sets from 1920 to 1967 with very average to middling (occasionally nice) coins in them. I'd replace the worst with spares from stock where I could, and priced them at what I thought was reasonable prices. Punters really seemed to go for year sets (probably for significant birthdays and the like) and those sold very well. 

Have you thought of doing a few year sets Paddy? You can use F coins in them as they're not bought by collectors.

4 hours ago, DrLarry said:

I used to do one once a month in Bournemouth well Canford cliff and never sold anything but I just saw it as a social event.

People in Canford Cliffs prefer their coins washed and the notes neatly ironed. How long ago Dr. Larry? I've never come across a market in BH13, and I'm only a mile away.

that little event that took place on the first saturday of the month in the community hall, I think it was £20 and in the end I never sold anything except four leaf clovers so I gave up.  I had thought it might be a way of making some money for the charity.  Sadly not but it was as I say a social event.  

I've just realised that you've bought one or two pieces from me in the past.

Oh yes most likely if you are in Dorset I get one or two of mine from a seller in parkhill. I miss Dorset so much sadly I had to move back to the miserable North East because of illness I couldn't work so had to use my house in Durham. I do dislike the north east I feel a bit like a southern fish out of water lol 

5 hours ago, Peckris said:

I rented a cabinet in a Midlands antique centre some years ago. I could NEVER predict what was going to sell. Apart from one thing - I picked up a lot cheap from W&W which was basically a load of Sandhill year sets from 1920 to 1967 with very average to middling (occasionally nice) coins in them. I'd replace the worst with spares from stock where I could, and priced them at what I thought was reasonable prices. Punters really seemed to go for year sets (probably for significant birthdays and the like) and those sold very well. 

Have you thought of doing a few year sets Paddy? You can use F coins in them as they're not bought by collectors.

I might well try year sets at some stage - the challenge is getting them mounted in a presentable way at an affordable price.

I don't think I would carry on doing the markets if I made no profit at all. Today I took about £330 net of table money and I was one of three coin dealers stalled out. Maybe there is more coin activity at the local markets than some of you fear?

• Like 2

I am at South Molton pannier market again this Sunday 1st July, if anyone is passing... :D

P

Edited by Paddy
Amend emoticon

On 6/20/2018 at 4:32 PM, Paddy said:

I might well try year sets at some stage - the challenge is getting them mounted in a presentable way at an affordable price.

I don't think I would carry on doing the markets if I made no profit at all. Today I took about £330 net of table money and I was one of three coin dealers stalled out. Maybe there is more coin activity at the local markets than some of you fear?

Depending on what your average charge was for each item, that sounds like a reasonable footfall.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:28 PM, DrLarry said:

Oh yes most likely if you are in Dorset I get one or two of mine from a seller in parkhill. I miss Dorset so much sadly I had to move back to the miserable North East because of illness I couldn't work so had to use my house in Durham. I do dislike the north east I feel a bit like a southern fish out of water lol 

Yes, Dorset is a very pleasant and picturesque county with numerous visitor attractions, no doubt about it. Have you thought about selling up in the North East and moving back to Dorset permanently?

I miss my native Essex to some degree, but probably not nearly as much as I would have missed Dorset.  

15 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I miss my native Essex to some degree, but probably not nearly as much as I would have missed Dorset.  

Sharon and Tracy both say they miss you big time. They've been consoling themselves with 9 carat ankle bracelets and big furry dice for their cars.

Sharon and TRacy.jpg

Oh err. I'm not sure what this says about Essex man if these are deemed attractive. :huh:

14 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Sharon and Tracy both say they miss you big time. They've been consoling themselves with 9 carat ankle bracelets and big furry dice for their cars.

I think Essex has somehow gained a very unfair reputation, and been subject to ridicule over the years, and I'm not even sure why.   

1 minute ago, 1949threepence said:

I think Essex has somehow gained a very unfair reputation, and been subject to ridicule over the years, and I'm not even sure why.   

Yes, you're right. And it's inaccurate too, as the ridicule is only directed at "London Essex" (Romford, Basildon, and the like) - the wider county is as different as it could possibly be.

2 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Yes, you're right. And it's inaccurate too, as the ridicule is only directed at "London Essex" (Romford, Basildon, and the like) - the wider county is as different as it could possibly be.

Chelmsford, where I come from, is only 32 miles from London, but might as well be in a different universe. Get a bit further East towards Colchester , and the accent becomes distinctly East Anglian. Despite its proximity to London, it's largely a rural county.   

Romford is now part of Greater London, and has been for many years.

Basildon is in Essex proper.

I have lived in Essex most of my life , growing up in Walthamstow  [part of London since the 1960s] but now living in Northwest Essex.  Its strange but we have some of the prettiest villages you could find anywhere, and yet we still have a bad reputation given to us by people who have probably never even set foot in the county.  My old house, and I say old it was built in 1380 was in a village with dozen's of beautiful old cottages, I have lovely neighbours, and we have low crime rates.   For the last Thirty four years I have lived a new one, built about 1777 .   One good thing about that reputation, is that we have the place to our selves, and don't have to put up with hoards of tourists tramping all over the place. ;)   Terry

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Chelmsford, where I come from, is only 32 miles from London, but might as well be in a different universe. Get a bit further East towards Colchester , and the accent becomes distinctly East Anglian. Despite its proximity to London, it's largely a rural county.   

Romford is now part of Greater London, and has been for many years.

Basildon is in Essex proper.

My dad was Colchester born and bred, and it was quite  a trek from Liverpool in the days before the M6 to visit the grandparents! But yes, Great Dunmow, Walton, Marks Tey, Wivenhoe - more like Holland than London.

• Like 1