British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

My God, you'd pay more to entomb a 1930 6d than the coin is worth!

I sold a CGS 88 1935 for £150 a couple years ago, by far a more common date( this was when CGS still had a bit of reputation mind you) :)

the offender

sp 1935 (1)-1.jpgsp 1935 (2)-1.jpg

I still have my "job lot" of these, 40 in total all with the same grade(not all slabbed just the 1)

I did ok on my penny :)

It cost me fk all so everything over zilch was a complete bonus.

Given the trend of the last few years I'd say it was ok at 120.

A shame i didn't bid on a couple of the mixed lots, what I was prepared to pay was well over what they went for so I need to organise myself better for next time!

59 minutes ago, Peckris said:

My God, you'd pay more to entomb a 1930 6d than the coin is worth!

Well ... that depends ......

1. That I care what it is worth because resell is on the horizon ..... which it isn't.

2. What its market value actually is if and when I chose to sell.

3. What it costs me to have a coin graded and slabbed and whether I do it in this case.

4. How important the coin is to me as a component of my overall collection.

5. Whether the cost of this coin is counter balanced by getting other coins cheaper .... or ..... was I under budget for this auction? I was.

Edited by jaggy
  • Like 1

Nice rationale train there Jag.....I use similar myself, even as excuses to buy further coins to "cost average" downward. These are words of collectors, to be sure...BTW, the 48/7 went "63" at NGC.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Nice rationale train there Jag.....I use similar myself, even as excuses to buy further coins to "cost average" downward. These are words of collectors, to be sure...BTW, the 48/7 went "63" at NGC.

Well done on the 48/7!!!

11 hours ago, rpeddie said:

the offender

sp 1935 (1)-1.jpgsp 1935 (2)-1.jpg

I still have my "job lot" of these, 40 in total all with the same grade(not all slabbed just the 1)

:o I have a 1934 that's even better than that (sharper hair) - cost me a fiver from the Midland in the late 90s! At that rate I'd get £200 for it if entombed!!

12 hours ago, jaggy said:

Well ... that depends ......

1. That I care what it is worth because resell is on the horizon ..... which it isn't.

2. What its market value actually is if and when I chose to sell.

3. What it costs me to have a coin graded and slabbed and whether I do it in this case.

4. How important the coin is to me as a component of my overall collection.

5. Whether the cost of this coin is counter balanced by getting other coins cheaper .... or ..... was I under budget for this auction? I was.

Think its all about if we want something we buy it and if we are happy it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

There is no need for anyone to defend what they have bought (apart from to the wife) its upto them.

I have paid more for things i want ,not just coins but allsorts of daft things and buy them for ME.

We are collectors so fill gaps ,some gaps are worth more to us than someone else.

Well bought Jaggy ....If your happy thats all that matters :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Think its all about if we want something we buy it and if we are happy it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.

There is no need for anyone to defend what they have bought (apart from to the wife) its upto them.

I have paid more for things i want ,not just coins but allsorts of daft things and buy them for ME.

We are collectors so fill gaps ,some gaps are worth more to us than someone else.

Well bought Jaggy ....If your happy thats all that matters :)

Like many people I rationalise the reasons for my purchases when, instinctively, I think they might be expensive. At the end of the day I wanted this coin and I got it for less than my maximum bid. So that is a win and '1930 sixpence' gets deleted from my buy list.

Top quality coins always cost more than the books say and if they are graded and slabbed then that adds a premium. Just the way it is.

As has been pointed out by others, I am a collector, not a dealer. I don't have to worry about profit margins and resale. I don't have to worry about capital tied up in stock. When I die my collection will be there for my children to dispose of. I won't care, I will be dead ...... and you can't take it with you.

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

:o I have a 1934 that's even better than that (sharper hair) - cost me a fiver from the Midland in the late 90s! At that rate I'd get £200 for it if entombed!!

That is 20 years ago. Times change and markets change. 

I have some pretty rare coins from the 1980s and 1990s that cost me relatively little but which would probably bring a lot of money now.

8 hours ago, jaggy said:

I won't care, I will be dead ...... and you can't take it with you.

Very true. But never forget, "You're born with nothing, so if you die in debt, you've made a profit." :D

• Like 3

Jaggy - coins DATED from the '80s and '90s? Or purchased then? Well, share pictures if you can.

I certainly don't criticize spending more than others would for the right piece....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Jaggy - coins DATED from the '80s and '90s? Or purchased then? Well, share pictures if you can.

I certainly don't criticize spending more than others would for the right piece....

Sorry .... coins purchased in the 1980s and 1990s .... mainly from Glendinings.

Examples might be a 1878 over 7 sixpence which I had graded as an MS62 and which cost me £80 (inc. juice & postage) or my 1887 Private pattern sixpence in Aluminium, graded PF64 and which cost £160. Same with the sixpences I bought at the Willis sale in 1992. All graded highly, all are quite rare and all cost less than £200 (everything included).

Ah yes, I suspected. Share pictures if you please...This was a great time and where I also formed the nucleus of my collection.

There was the deaquisition of the Pretoria Mint coins that was shocking in its breadth and relatively low prices.

I got the currency 1839 2/6 from Glens graded as EF only (the one seen on PCGS pops) - and now an honest MS64 for 2200! That was a big purchase at the time, but as they say find another...

The trick is to pay more for the 'right' coins and keep patient.  I'm still irked that I paid £400 a few years ago for a 1662 Crown then worth half that (it  was one of the rarer edge varieties but another one at a more reasonable price would no doubt have turned up).      On the other hand I've paid double book price for some rarities which have proved a good investment in the long run.  

I find that many of the less rare coins I'm looking for only turn up in good or bad condition whereas I'm really looking for middling - e.g.  it's easy to find a 1645 groat at either £200 or £1000+ but I'd be looking at say £500 - nothing doing!. So have to keep my discipline!

3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Ah yes, I suspected. Share pictures if you please...This was a great time and where I also formed the nucleus of my collection.

There was the deaquisition of the Pretoria Mint coins that was shocking in its breadth and relatively low prices.

I got the currency 1839 2/6 from Glens graded as EF only (the one seen on PCGS pops) - and now an honest MS64 for 2200! That was a big purchase at the time, but as they say find another...

1878 - over 7

Vmg05h.jpg

7QfeWi.jpg

1887 Private Pattern in Aluminium:

cG9k5c.jpg

sv4Aag.jpg

2 hours ago, pokal02 said:

The trick is to pay more for the 'right' coins and keep patient.  I'm still irked that I paid £400 a few years ago for a 1662 Crown then worth half that (it  was one of the rarer edge varieties but another one at a more reasonable price would no doubt have turned up).      On the other hand I've paid double book price for some rarities which have proved a good investment in the long run.  

I find that many of the less rare coins I'm looking for only turn up in good or bad condition whereas I'm really looking for middling - e.g.  it's easy to find a 1645 groat at either £200 or £1000+ but I'd be looking at say £500 - nothing doing!. So have to keep my discipline!

The higher the quality the rarer the coin and the more expensive it is. If it is graded and slabbed it will often cost more till. I don't find the price guides all that helpful. It really depends who is after it and how high they are willing to go.

lovely sixpence, i was watching the recent CNG one with great interest , its the added history that aluminium was only fairly recently made a fairly common metal that is interesting. Any idea if this is the first example of an aluminium coin? recon if a country has one it would be France.

I find graded coins mostly keep a consistent pricing and is mostly what i use as my "price guide"

Edited by rpeddie

On 06/06/2018 at 4:24 PM, jaggy said:

1887 Private Pattern in Aluminium:

cG9k5c.jpg

sv4Aag.jpg

Looks like the queens "We are not amused " portrait , no wonder it was rejected.

I quite like the reverse

Edited by copper123

51 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Looks like the queens "We are not amused " portrait , no wonder it was rejected.

I quite like the reverse

Agreed, the reverse is quite nice, though looks more suited to a colonial issue.

The obverse is all wrong. Far too busy in the border and again in the clothing/veil. The portrait, too small and not at all sculptural, much like something rendered from a photograph which, indeed, I think it was. The overall effect is that of a token or commemorative medalet.

Kudos to Jaggy though, a nice one to own. ;)

• Like 1

There was a series of these private pattern sixpences in different metals made by J. Rochelle Thomas for Spink and struck by Lauer. One of our members has the complete set. I just have the one.

According to ESC - which does list them - there were just 20 of the Aluminium ones struck. I think I know where three or four of them are but that is about it.

Edited by jaggy