British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Edward IV coinage (2nd reign)

When I bought this recent Edward IV penny it was tagged as type XXI, London mint. Delving into the coinage of Edward IV it seems only the first XI types were Edward IV, the rest (types XII-XXII) are Henry VI (restored). My coin clearly has i.m. cinquefoil (like a type XXI penny should have), but the obverse legend reads Edward. Can anybody explain the classification to me as I seem to be getting myself confused.

Many thanks,

Descartes

Edward IV penny, 2nd reign, type XXI, London, archb Sharp colln.jpg

Hi, types 1 - XI Edward IV first reign heavy and light coinage, then HVI rest,  then Edward IV second reign 1471-1483  types XII -XXII

• Like 1

7 hours ago, davetmoneyer said:

Hi, types 1 - XI Edward IV first reign heavy and light coinage, then HVI rest,  then Edward IV second reign 1471-1483  types XII -XXII

Thanks Dave! That makes perfect sense now :) I couldn't see that yesterday, and appreciate you putting me on the right track!