British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Is it Greek or Celtic or something completely different??

Hi All

Now this one seems to be baffling everyone I have asked so far. I bought this tiny little coin recently more as a curio, it is a wopping 6.5-7mm diameter and weighing a whole 0.5g. It was sold to me as an ancient Greek , Asia Minor Obol. I have tried to research it and so far can't find anything like it. I did ask a few other people and they seem to think it looks more Celtic.  Any idea's or places to look would be appreciated.

Thanks

20180427_Tiny-Greek-Coin.jpg

I don't know, but have you tried the Indian Princely states? Reminds of some of the small silver coins they produced.

looks like a crude medusa type creature on the right if you rotate it back anti-clockwise Head,body and tail ? and either something representing the devil like a horned minotaur?

not uk celtic 

15 hours ago, Paddy said:

I don't know, but have you tried the Indian Princely states? Reminds of some of the small silver coins they produced.

Hi Paddy, yes tried those with no luck. Will have another luck as you never know I may have overlooked something. Thanks

15 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

looks like a crude medusa type creature on the right if you rotate it back anti-clockwise Head,body and tail ? and either something representing the devil like a horned minotaur?

Thanks Zookeeperz, still trying to visualize the crude medusa, etc... Appreciate you taking a look. The more heads the better :D

14 hours ago, craigy said:

not uk celtic 

Totally agree Craigy. I still think its probably more Greek or that way. Definitely has everyone puzzled so far. Thanks

I thought as the designs were really basic looking they looked more of a representative of something rather than an artistic design Like the medusa looking thing with top part for head the middle section for the body with an arm either side and a long tail like a half human / half sea serpent (siren) . The reverse does look like a front facing Bull sitting on its haunches . Greeks did get in to mythology creatures Perhaps it's a very early type. I do have a vivid imagination I even have a mouse on my 1967 penny :lol:.

Ok I think I was closer than I gave myself credit for, The Medusa looking effigy is definitely some kind of sea serpent perhaps an irish harpie as if you look to the left the white area I believe is the sea and there is a what looks like a fish or a dolphin head just above the surface. Also the space adjacent to the left of the head has a tick which as you know always depicts a flying bird in the distance, The other effigy I am pretty sure is a dancing bear as there was more detail on the coin when I reversed negged the picture. the rest of the ear and the side profile of the nose and mouth.

irish-horz.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

and then i did this and totally threw myself a curveball. I actually think this way up looks more plausible. What do you think?

irish.jpg

irish1.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I thought as the designs were really basic looking they looked more of a representative of something rather than an artistic design Like the medusa looking thing with top part for head the middle section for the body with an arm either side and a long tail like a half human / half sea serpent (siren) . The reverse does look like a front facing Bull sitting on its haunches . Greeks did get in to mythology creatures Perhaps it's a very early type. I do have a vivid imagination I even have a mouse on my 1967 penny :lol:.

Ok I think I was closer than I gave myself credit for, The Medusa looking effigy is definitely some kind of sea serpent perhaps an irish harpie as if you look to the left the white area I believe is the sea and there is a what looks like a fish or a dolphin head just above the surface. Also the space adjacent to the left of the head has a tick which as you know always depicts a flying bird in the distance, The other effigy I am pretty sure is a dancing bear as there was more detail on the coin when I reversed negged the picture. the rest of the ear and the side profile of the nose and mouth.

irish-horz.jpg

Mind blown :D:);)

My wife an I have  literally looked at it from every angle.  But this way we can see a Lion or some form of mythical creature. 2 legs to bottom of coin. tail coming up and round to the left of the coin as you look at it; head roaring to right.  More than likely once we learn what it should be it will all be very clear!!!

Snapshot58.jpg

This is what I saw initially- CRUDE Drawing Alert - Jug with grapes and a human figure in the bottom section.

Snapshot61 with drawing.jpg

15 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

and then i did this and totally threw myself a curveball. I actually think this way up looks more plausible. What do you think?

irish.jpg

irish1.jpg

Top left quadrant Do you not think that is a castle? letter C to the right