British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

Bristol penny

the remains of a Bristol penny, still stuck in its little bed :rolleyes:

30171169_10155205897141020_3117247011807853062_o.jpg

• Like 2

yeah, every day, beans have gone in now so time rest that farm, been finding some worked flint and had a few bits of bronze age pottery in among the roman pottery, not muchin the way of coins, a nice 1934 6d and another gun money shilling, pretty bad condition though and a couple of broken edward 1 pennies, 

thought i found a scattered hoard of medieval weights, turned out to be piano key weights looool

ba2.jpg

trac.jpg

weight.jpg

Edited by craigy

There is treasure there Craigy . I have been watching the series on TV called The British. How we were shaped from ancient druids thru roman britain and so on. When the romans left britain all the rich folk stashed their valuables and hid them in fields. Being a super sleuth I would look for easy rememberable landmarks or certain tree locations that would stand out as a memory jogger . In case they forgot where they buried the stuff. You know they had that "safe place" back then too :). If I was there I would cast my mind back and imagine it was me worrying about all those gold coins and jewellry I had and would be looking for somewhere to bury them. Weather this is true or not my memory tells me that the amount of ancient Artifacts found represents about 1% of what is actually under the ground or in places yet to be discovered. Get ya diviner out :) if all else fails you might find water 

I wish I had a detector I am on the main road from london to colchester as was back in their day . I would be banging on the farmers doors asking if I could buzz the fields :)

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

Looks like a good few days ut there!

I need to dust the old detector off and get outdoors soon!

21 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Looks like a good few days ut there!

I need to dust the old detector off and get outdoors soon!

I am seriously toying with the idea of getting one. Just which to get really. I normally look at the comparison sites and see what gives the best overall performance for the cost

If your budget will stretch to a second hand (or even new) minelab E-Trac, thats probably the best one out there, although anyone who owns a detector will have their own opinion.

I know from my own experience that I don't miss anything - last trip out I managed a total of 5 minims, along with around 40 other Roman coins.

minelabs are not for the faint hearted, esp the etracs and explorers, been using my deus exclusively for months now, hardly used the explorer, deus is so easy to use, light, and hassle free 

Definitely need to get myself a detector too! I seem to be missing out on all the excitement. What could be better than stretching the legs in the countryside and hunting for coins! :) 

• Like 2

Time and time again I've seen the best finds at my MD club are not dependent on the finding machine being the most expensive and hi-tech. While technology does obviously have an influence on success, in my view by far the most important factors are technique and ability to 'read the land'. About two years ago I 'upgraded' from a Teknetics T2 to an XP Deus and I can honestly say that with hindsight I was more successful with the older, more basic machine. 

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

So to add to my last, if you are going to become a detectorist, a good, second-hand machine is probably the best option to take for starters. Also try to join a local club and get to learn the 'craft' from experienced diggers. Unfortunately, most if not all the clubs have waiting lists so if you want to start the hobby, apply to a club soonest.

However, I do not recommend digging with an online outfit called 'Lets Go Digging'. There have been serious issues with this organisation regarding flouting of Portable Antiquity Scheme regulations. There is still a powerful lobby in the archeological fraternity that is against metal detectorists and if abuse of the regulations carries on, it could spoil it for everyone and cause much more stringent anti-metal-detection legislation to further protect archeological sites, or at worst a ban on hobby detecting. We are fortunate in this country that the laws governing treasure are not too restrictive on the hobby but if the rules are abused this could all change. LGD certainly upset my local Finds Liaison Officer! 

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe