British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I've been looking in a few places trying to work out what the edges were on crowns from 1821 onwards but can't quite seem to get it.

It looks like there were reeded edges with no inscriptions in many years but what is unclear is if the various years with edge inscriptions had reeded edges or not (in the back of my mind some did but I'm sure some didn't too).

Anyone know which edge inscribed years had reeded edges too? I'm mostly interested in 1887 onwards but I'm curious about the George IV crowns too.

As I understand it, whenever there is an edge inscription, there is no reeding on British Crowns in this period. I have checked my own collection - the Jubilee headed Crowns and the Wreath Crowns have reeding as do the 1937, 1960 and 1965 in the pre-decimal era. The rest have edge inscriptions and no reeding, including the 1951 and 1953.

BTW, have you got into the stop marks on the 1840s Crowns? The book says that both Cinquefoil and Star stops are possible on the 1844 and 1845 coins but I have never seen a Star stop 1845. (Some that claim to be, but always mis-identified.)

Edited by Paddy
Caveat
  • Like 2

Spink's 2018 catalogue has finally dropped the (non-existent, I think) 1845 star stop crowns. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pokal02 said:

Spink's 2018 catalogue has finally dropped the (non-existent, I think) 1845 star stop crowns. 

That's great - thanks for the update. I suspected it was a chimera and I am glad to have it confirmed.

On 4/29/2018 at 6:06 PM, Paddy said:

As I understand it, whenever there is an edge inscription, there is no reeding on British Crowns in this period. I have checked my own collection - the Jubilee headed Crowns and the Wreath Crowns have reeding as do the 1937, 1960 and 1965 in the pre-decimal era. The rest have edge inscriptions and no reeding, including the 1951 and 1953.

BTW, have you got into the stop marks on the 1840s Crowns? The book says that both Cinquefoil and Star stops are possible on the 1844 and 1845 coins but I have never seen a Star stop 1845. (Some that claim to be, but always mis-identified.)

Alright thanks for clearing that up - haven't got to looking at the early Victorian stuff yet though.