British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1929 Florin what happened??

Morning folks. I bought this 1929 florin. it's such a nice coin . Great strike and just dripping with lustre . But there is some really strange pattern underlying the whole coin almost like a butterfly wing effect in each section where the shield isn't present and a strange looking C at the top right quarter. Any ideas what has caused this? is it something in the design or on a wrong planchet?

any help most appreciated :)

1929.obverse.jpg

1929.reverse.jpg

1929.a.jpg

1929c.jpg

1929.d.jpg

1929.f.jpg

1929.i.jpg

If I have to guess, I would say it is possible that the coin was dipped into something and some residue was left afterwards.

It certainly has a lot of luster and I am rather fond of this design 

4 minutes ago, Sword said:

If I have to guess, I would say it is possible that the coin was dipped into something and some residue was left afterwards.

It certainly has a lot of luster and I am rather fond of this design 

Those areas that look like mirror images of themselves side by side are raised just very slightly almost as if the fluid has settled in the incuse valley and hi-lighted the shapes which are identical in each segment. Impossible to know what is beneath the main design as nothing can be seen. it's entirely possible that it could be the original design that never quite struck correctly and just left the slightest imprint and the at a different angle struck completely? stranger things have happened at sea.? Why they always seem to happen at sea is a mystery to me though :lol: 

I think it might be incised possibly very lightly, including the C,  and cleaned with a bit of the residual left. Does it look like the margins of the "wings" are recessed even minimally into the coin. My first thought was just the fluid left behind as per Sword.

Edited by VickySilver

1 hour ago, VickySilver said:

I think it might be incised possibly very lightly, including the C,  and cleaned with a bit of the residual left. Does it look like the margins of the "wings" are recessed even minimally into the coin. My first thought was just the fluid left behind as per Sword.

it looks same as picture under the loupe. If it was incised wouldn't it break the cartwheel lustre on the parts that were etched? because this looks as it was when it left the mint. There is also other design markings under the shields and on cross points of the sceptres . The obverse looks like it could possibly of been double struck as the patterns to the left of G's face looks like and inverted profile rotated? The design itself isn't like something you would do yourself.The pattern is uneven and has different layers not like someone etching a wing shape in to the coin if you get me. the shapes look to be at different depths. akin to something being struck deeper in one section and lighter in others. I have not seen anything like it before. And around the design elements the brown fluid like substance looks to have been trapped during the annealing process and not washed out as it is local to that design point. The kings head has no fluid residue at all or any trace of it ever having any.

Well, perhaps we are crossed on terms. The "C" does seem to be incised and even in taking the first closeup picture of reverse, from the picture it appears that the margin or edge of the wing-like shape looks to be as well with discolouration on the inside of the wing being what looks to be the residue.

The obverse shape(s) really IMO appear to be localized collections of residue and/or oxidations of that residue. Many dilute dips can do that sort of thing if allowed to dry or desiccate.

Still, you have the coin in hand, not us. Interesting, this series was the core of my collection at one point. The 1929 and 1934 dates are the only ones not struck in proof..

• Like 1

I wonder whether it has been lacquered, all the rage in the ‘70’s. if it was moved around when the lacquer was only partially dry, you might get this sort of effect. Calls for a soak in acetone, wont do any harm anyway.

Jerry

• Like 2

Verdigris? It's lurking everywhere so I have been told.

1 hour ago, ozjohn said:

Verdigris? It's lurking everywhere so I have been told.

Heavens no. I'd slit my wrists first :)

9 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Heavens no. I'd slit my wrists first :)

To see the green blood pour out? :lol:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peckris said:

To see the green blood pour out? :lol:

Blue if you don't mind :lol:

• Like 1