British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

1837 Half Farthing spare for sale

Having achieved a slight upgrade for myself, this 1837 Half Farthing is now spare. Before I list on Ebay I thought I would offer it to the members of Predecimal.

I am not sure quite what it would make on Ebay - condition is not brilliant, but it is a scarce date - so I invite sensible offers!

1837 HF 1 old Red.JPG

1837 HF 2 old Red.JPG

I say £40 , and by the way its really popular even in low grades

• Like 1

Is that an offer or just an assessment?

just my idea of what it will fetch.

• Like 1

They aren't common, but it would be difficult to justify spending £40 for something that is no better than fair on the obverse. I've only had three in the last 12 years including one in quite reasonable grade last year, but it had been cleaned and was never going to win a beauty contest. It took quite a while to shift this, despite its rarity and the fact it was priced well under book to take the faults into account.

Being a single year type for the reign will help demand, but you rarely see them in a desirable condition which is the key to getting a good price and widening the circle of people looking for one. There is some demand there, but suspect it has to either be dirt cheap, or in top grade.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rob said:

Over £50! Frankly amazed. The attached went for less than 3x this, but didn't exactly fly off the shelf.

00006270.jpg

Yes - I was pleased and surprised. I don't think I over cooked it - true pictures and a fair description. If they chose to bid it up to that amount it is their own choice.

Well i did tell you , the reverse was quite good and you could have called it fine or so - the obverse less so .

I did say they were popular - personally I woul;d want a much nicer coin