British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

Australia 2000 double struck obverse

I know the Aussies love their micro varieties and errors / misstrikes and such almost or perhaps more than the yanks. So if there are any Ozzie Gurus in the house how much do these coins go for.  2000 20 cents Doubled obverse legend and profile. Any help would be gladly received . thanks

Richard

2000.20.cents.doubled.obverse.jpg

2000.20.cents.doubled.obverse.reverse.jpg

2000-tile.jpg

It seems to me that the predecimal doubled dies are much more popular than the decimal double dies (I guess they probably happen more frequently in modern production).

I'm not too into the errors myself but things like upsets, clips and partial collars are the things that seem to sell for any reasonable amount above face value.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

It seems to me that the predecimal doubled dies are much more popular than the decimal double dies (I guess they probably happen more frequently in modern production).

I'm not too into the errors myself but things like upsets, clips and partial collars are the things that seem to sell for any reasonable amount above face value.

I have Rennick's error coins and the normal edition but like most of these guides they kind of roll you around the exact place you are looking for lol. It just amazes me the prices for coins that in the UK anomalies  like die cracks are completely ignored as are doubled die coins. I have a 1934/3 threepence  and a 1922 I think off the top of my head doubled die reverse australian threepence and a 1933/2 Penny. but the penny sadly has been cleaned by some nonk long ago before I came across it. I did ask in other forums about the Doubled die threepence but as usual if fell upon deaf ears. It seems unlike British pre-decimal coins Australia didn't seem to suffer from the same plagues in minting so finding coins that have sold or are being sold are very thin on the ground.

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

I have Rennick's error coins and the normal edition but like most of these guides they kind of roll you around the exact place you are looking for lol. It just amazes me the prices for coins that in the UK anomalies  like die cracks are completely ignored as are doubled die coins. I have a 1934/3 threepence  and a 1922 I think off the top of my head doubled die reverse australian threepence and a 1933/2 Penny. but the penny sadly has been cleaned by some nonk long ago before I came across it. I did ask in other forums about the Doubled die threepence but as usual if fell upon deaf ears. It seems unlike British pre-decimal coins Australia didn't seem to suffer from the same plagues in minting so finding coins that have sold or are being sold are very thin on the ground.

I think you'll find that UK collectors make a sharp distinction between 'die errors' (which result in a certain number of struck examples) and 'striking errors' (which are usually unique but regarded as curiosities). Die cracks fall somewhere between the two : they're not die varieties strictly, as there is no element of human causation, but on the other hand there could be a number of examples out there. The kind of thing you're talking about can best be illustrated by two examples:

1. The 1918KN 'crows foot' error on the neck of the portrait. This is distnictive enough to be easily recognised and is collectable, though not at much of a premium over normal.

2. The die fill that caused the designer initials "EF" to disappear on the reverse of some 1961 halfcrowns. At one time this was regarded as a kosher variety, but not now.

I think where die faults result in a distinctive rare variety (the 1946 ONE' penny being an example) then you will see them catalogued and collected, otherwise they tend to be ignored.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

I still haven't looked through my Rennick's error coins but I always got the impression the author was very much into the predecimal side of things and any information about decimals was what was provided to him.

Possibly part of the problem is that there are probably quite a few predecimal doubled dies that get mislabeled as re-engraved dates.

9 hours ago, Mr T said:

I still haven't looked through my Rennick's error coins but I always got the impression the author was very much into the predecimal side of things and any information about decimals was what was provided to him.

Possibly part of the problem is that there are probably quite a few predecimal doubled dies that get mislabeled as re-engraved dates.

On my 1922 threepence all of ADVANCE AUSTRALIA and the date is Doubled die which is a true DD not repunched as you can see the notching on the serifs like on the 2 they are notched bottom left on the angle and the top where the 2 starts same for the 9 tail and 1. I have looked for others for a good few years after I found this one. Always nice to fly under the radar for a while :) but then it becomes frustrating when it feels like you are the only one who has one lol which I very much doubt.

Hm, I haven't heard of that one (not that I follow it too closely) but there was an article in the Australasian Coin and Banknote Magazine about predecimal doubled dies recently and I don't think it got a mention. Might need to dig out the article again...