British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

NGC Slabbing

Hi all,   would like to get some coins slabbed, preferably NGC, where would i do this ?    any info would be great, thanks in advance 

A dedicated NGC submission centre opens in the UK later in may if you can hold out a month :)

• Like 1

just read the announcement and PWA is correct and it seems to be spink will be taking the reigns in sort, the submission centre is in the spink building but my understanding not open yet.

• Like 1

what do people think about the ngc grading, is there better one's to go with 

1 hour ago, craigy said:

Historically. For revenue purposes only. PCGS way out perform prices realised at auction than NGC. Is it because one is better than the other? Hobsons choice I think. 

2 hours ago, craigy said:

I looked at both PCGS and NGC and chose to go with the latter. I just has a better feeling about them. Overall, I have found their grading to be strict but fair and that has made me much more careful about my purchases. 

I think the differential with regard to auction prices mainly applies to US coins and, there, I think that PCGS has a stronger presence amongst dealers which helps push prices. I'm not sure that there is much of a differential for non-US coins. At least I haven't noticed it.

The NGC vs PVGS discussion is one of those 'wars of religion' that never finds a conclusion. In reality, both grading companies are very reliable, quite consistent and extremely professional. They do, however, grade to their own proprietary standards. I followed an online discussion on this subject and a very reputable US dealer commented:

"In my observation and experience, NGC started to award higher grades to coins with original surfaces where the surfaces were devoid of marks, hits, scrapes, etc... whereas PCGS started to award higher grades to coins with great luster or extremely attractive toning.  Over time, this started to weight the pools of coins seen in NGC and PCGS holders so that high grade, valuable coins in NGC holders were more likely to have muted surfaces or neutral-to-unattractive toning while coins from this same niche in PCGS holders were more likely to have good luster, cool toning and better arm's length eye appeal.  Obviously, this was not universal and did not happen overnight, but I would think that by 1995-1997 there was a clear distinction between the pools of coins graded by the services that were available at auction or on the bourse.  In my opinion, the early decisions by PCGS and NGC ended up harming NGC while helping PCGS establish a firm hold on the top spot in the eyes of many folks."

• Like 2

Good observations and knowledge shared Jag!

• Like 1

Does anyone have any suggestions for easiest way with PCGS?

Edited by jasonsewell

Depending were you live probably to take them to one of the shows they go to ,not sure if they are at the Bloomsbury one.

The London one is the 2nd of June although again you would need to check.

Atleast taking them in hand you can put any variety / type on the paperwork .This also allows you to pay and get things sorted face to face if you are not already a member.

Edited by PWA 1967

LCGS not on your Xmas card list?

Bunch of shooisters the lot of em.

37 minutes ago, Peter said:

LCGS not on your Xmas card list?

Bunch of shooisters the lot of em.

Was this random and strange question to me ?.

Random,Strange that is me.

Are you moving away from TPG's ? You can surely grade now.Get your ass down to the Midland fair and buy with your eyes.

You won't regret it....just saying.

No.....What you were just saying is "i will have a go at Pete"

Please carry on all day and night if you want to :)

All i was doing was trying to help someone who asked a question , which i thought is what the forum was for.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2018 at 6:42 PM, rpeddie said:

just read the announcement and PWA is correct and it seems to be spink will be taking the reigns in sort, the submission centre is in the spink building but my understanding not open yet.

have you got a link to this ??? thanks 

Makes use of their spare space. Rents in London are expensive, so any income from unused footage will help.

also helps with spinks now trying to move heavily into the far east market

Just curious what happened to the heritage(uk) colab.

They took years to reply to my emails so avoided sending things through them to slab.

I can't usually find the energy to moan about TPGs, but this is so wrong I couldn't help myself. How the hell does this get a 65 label, or did they have excessive stocks of them that needed using up? Have my suspicions about the consignor influencing the grade been confirmed?

https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-george-iii-soho-penny-1797-soho-ms65-brown-ngc-/a/3067-31649.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

i'm a staunch slab defender but that one doesn't seem right to me, a lot of the high points showing wear along with most of Britannia showing wear and even missing most of her hair and pretty much no face showing?

if i saw this one raw i would put it low MS? some defence for it is the fields show little/no damage and the rim looks good, also some good colour to it too which is pretty rare on a non proof for these.

I fully agree with you though, this one looks about as over graded as JB's usual listings :) 

3 hours ago, rpeddie said:

i'm a staunch slab defender but that one doesn't seem right to me, a lot of the high points showing wear along with most of Britannia showing wear and even missing most of her hair and pretty much no face showing?

if i saw this one raw i would put it low MS? some defence for it is the fields show little/no damage and the rim looks good, also some good colour to it too which is pretty rare on a non proof for these.

I fully agree with you though, this one looks about as over graded as JB's usual listings :) 

It's not only the wear to the hair, head, breast and knee, but also the large scratch over the bottom half of the obverse. On any other occasion it would get a details label. 

On 9/4/2018 at 10:44 AM, Rob said:

Have my suspicions about the consignor influencing the grade been confirmed?

Wouldn't surprise me.

I vaguely remember some South African piece being given an MS label because that was how it was produced, even though it had wear.

I am not always a fan of theirs but the idea of a technical grade IMO has merit. If a coin is essentially exactly as it left the dies with no wear at all, then it CAN be uncirculated. However a soft strike or dies that are corrupted can make details of a coin not crisp. That is not wear IMO, even if the appearance is such at first glance. 

An interesting point is that when a planchet is not fully struck, the scratches and galling, etc. on the planchet are not "removed" by the striking process.