British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

NGC Slabbing

On 2/17/2019 at 11:15 AM, Colin88 said:

12 weeks and still waiting ...always the same bullsh!t answer when you speak to them in London..   

@Colin88 what exactly is their excuse for the wait?

i've just risked it and sent coins straight to NGC USA, ill update you guys on what happens with customs on the way back.

17 hours ago, rpeddie said:

i've just risked it and sent coins straight to NGC USA, ill update you guys on what happens with customs on the way back.

You might have waited, seems there is some expansion going on, a new office over 4 floors, moving on the 4th March. I wonder if they are going full time grading in Munich.

Will be asking next week what gives....

https://www.ngccoin.de/news/article/7150/new-munich-office/?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=19-NGDE-0073 New Munich Office Location eBlast - DE&utm_content=New Munich Office Location eBlast - DE&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWTJWbU1UTXdZVEk0WkRkbSIsInQiOiJXYkdWWVVaMFpEUjBlZTVNaWJPV25KM0pYUmlGUDJkOUFtNzVxYWQyRHhnSElUUDdUb2xTR0F1RkdmeklVWjhKMm5KNExEbzV2c3lSY0dQSVd5V2xUM3JhVE5aRjdvemtlRm8wOU1kcEc2RUU1RDdQZ1R5cUdaa1UzZHBoWDM1byJ9

1 hour ago, azda said:

You might have waited, seems there is some expansion going on, a new office over 4 floors, moving on the 4th March. I wonder if they are going full time grading in Munich.

Will be asking next week what gives....

yea this would make it really easy if they open up an onsite grading office in Munich, save so much time and hassle worrying about what the tax man will do with my return parcel

This time round i sent only lower valued coins so the difference between coin value and grading value should be much the same regarding what is due on taxes.

although, i have visited their Munich offices and 4x this space im not sure would be enough to do onsite grading slabbing processing etc, maybe the place at the moment is just too small to handle Europe wide submissions

17 hours ago, rpeddie said:

although, i have visited their Munich offices and 4x this space im not sure would be enough to do onsite grading slabbing processing etc, maybe the place at the moment is just too small to handle Europe wide submissions

They already do on-site grading and slabbing, i have a couple there now and they are doing on-site grading throughout this week, i'll be able to pick them back up from next Monday

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:02 PM, azda said:

@Colin88 what exactly is their excuse for the wait?

14 weeks !!

Their excuse is that it can take that long, so can a manned mission to the moon and back.

I may have to explore what happens when coins are lost, how do you prove the value of lost coins and I wonder what their compensation/insurance procedures are . My guess is that they will duck under US laws. What a sodding nightmare !!

1 hour ago, Colin88 said:

14 weeks !!

Their excuse is that it can take that long, so can a manned mission to the moon and back.

I may have to explore what happens when coins are lost, how do you prove the value of lost coins and I wonder what their compensation/insurance procedures are . My guess is that they will duck under US laws. What a sodding nightmare !!

I think if you check they’ll tell you the insurance on returns is on you, i assume the coins are still with them, or have you even got that far? Thinking out loud, if they were sent with the London branch then they will be insured both ways, but its bordering on ridiculous now.

Edited by azda

4 hours ago, azda said:

I think if you check they’ll tell you the insurance on returns is on you, i assume the coins are still with them, or have you even got that far? Thinking out loud, if they were sent with the London branch then they will be insured both ways, but its bordering on ridiculous now.

Jeez, I bloody well hope not !

If thats the case, that the insurance risk is on me on the return leg then that must be a major flaw in the entire process and people should be made well aware.

I'm going in to see them on Wednesday....will let you know what happens.

52 minutes ago, Colin88 said:

Jeez, I bloody well hope not !

If thats the case, that the insurance risk is on me on the return leg then that must be a major flaw in the entire process and people should be made well aware.

I'm going in to see them on Wednesday....will let you know what happens.

Colin, i think the shipping insurance only applies if you've submitted them yourself, if you've submitted through London NGC office then i think the liability is on them, but i would ask the question for your own peace of mind

This gives cause for thought and needs a careful looking at. https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-george-iii-1-2-penny-1774-ms64-red-and-brown-ngc-/a/271912-36390.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

A small attempted piercing(?) by the rim at 6 o'clock below the date and in a 64 slab. The shadow says it is probably twice as high as the datal figures deep. That's too much for a flaw, which in any case looks too round for my liking.

10 hours ago, Rob said:

This gives cause for thought and needs a careful looking at. https://coins.ha.com/itm/great-britain/world-coins/great-britain-george-iii-1-2-penny-1774-ms64-red-and-brown-ngc-/a/271912-36390.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

A small attempted piercing(?) by the rim at 6 o'clock below the date and in a 64 slab. The shadow says it is probably twice as high as the datal figures deep. That's too much for a flaw, which in any case looks too round for my liking.

I didn't see any claim in the description that it's a flaw? But I agree with you, it looks like a deliberate punch.

NGC Munich will be doing on-site grading between 10th-15th May.

Edited by azda

Just dropped off a few coins at their new offices, had a little chat with Marius, he's a guy that always takes my submissions, it seems they have a full-time banknote grader now and the plan is to eventually do coin grading on-site full time within 2 years, i asked him to keep me posted if any jobs come up in that direction 😏

• Like 1

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, here's a NGC designation I had not seen before - DPL. In case you cannot guess, it stands for 'Deep Proof Like'.

2018_10p_ngc_dpl.jpg

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

Just when I thought I'd seen it all, here's a NGC designation I had not seen before - DPL. In case you cannot guess, it stands for 'Deep Proof Like'.

2018_10p_ngc_dpl.jpg

Strange that. I would have gone for DPL being Doubtful Political Leadership. Very high grade dereliction of duty, but not perfectly so.

Edited by Rob

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

no i agree with that designation, most of the bu coins are coming out like with this proof like finish even the bullion gold and silver, take this silver baby penny i got from 2018 , what do you term that finish ? or the finish on the 2018 sixpence that is stated as bu on the pack 

P1030380(1).jpg

P1030381.jpg

P1030420.jpg

Bullion gold and silver looking proof like 

P1030426.JPG.0738c026ea87233b0daf495a32351b3a.JPG

P1030418.JPG

Edited by craigy

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

2018_10p_ngc_dpl.jpg

Could there be a Geordie grading centre, like?

• Haha 2

"

Most circulation issue coins have minimally reflective fields, even in Mint State (MS) grades. When a circulation issue coin’s fields exhibit a higher-than-normal degree of reflectivity, the coin is said to be “Prooflike” (or “PL”) because it is reminiscent of a Proof coin. If the fields are deeply mirrored, the coin is said to be “Deep Prooflike” (or “DPL”).

NGC uses the PL or DPL modifiers after an MS coin’s numeric grade, when applicable. These designations indicate only the degree of reflectivity evident in a coin’s fields and make no implication as to other qualities associated with Proof coins, such as frosted devices and superior sharpness."

unfortunately i don't disagree with having this designation available, having handled 1880-s morgan dollars it is amazing the difference that the normal/PL/DPL coins look like within the same grade bracket, i wouldn't bat an eye at a ms63 morgan but would take time to look at a ms63 DPL one 

Edited by rpeddie

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

"

Most circulation issue coins have minimally reflective fields, even in Mint State (MS) grades. When a circulation issue coin’s fields exhibit a higher-than-normal degree of reflectivity, the coin is said to be “Prooflike” (or “PL”) because it is reminiscent of a Proof coin. If the fields are deeply mirrored, the coin is said to be “Deep Prooflike” (or “DPL”).

NGC uses the PL or DPL modifiers after an MS coin’s numeric grade, when applicable. These designations indicate only the degree of reflectivity evident in a coin’s fields and make no implication as to other qualities associated with Proof coins, such as frosted devices and superior sharpness."

Interesting. Sometime in the early 70s, the Royal Mint changed from a 'satin' finish (commonly seen on most Unc CuNi decimals from 1968-73) to a mirror finish. True BU specimens can look 'prooflike' in that respect, but otherwise lacking the crisp detail and sharp edges of a true proof.

exactly, a good early example of this is the 1951 Crown, aulthough not proof when issued in the blue/purple/etc? boxes these commonly get the PL and DPL due to their reflective backgrounds. It is possible for any MS coin to get the PL designation, this is just realy rare, another one i can think of is the polished dies QEII 1/2 crown.

"here is no real clear, defined standard for how many "inches of reflectivity" are required for each designation, but you'll often hear people talk about 2-3 inches for PL, 5-6 or more for DPL. There is also some variation based on date - some dates are known for their highly reflective surfaces, and so might be judged a little more strictly.

A good way to measure this at home is by using a ruler held perpendicular to the surface of the coin. Look at how far away you can clearly read the increments, and that's your measure of reflectivity. You can do the same thing with a newspaper, or any reasonably sized printed text. How far away can you read it? That's how deep the mirrors are.

In the grading room, the graders do not use these sorts of methods. They have seen hundreds and thousands of PL and DPL coins. They will often use their thumb or a finger, holding it over a coin and see how sharp the reflection is. They are usually pretty good at judging PL/DPL based on this. This is easier to do with raw coins than slabbed ones, of course. (Cited from: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/distance-for-dmpl.328068/)"

"

PCGS defines surface Prooflike as clear reflection in the fields on both sides as viewed from two to four inches away. A misty effect or striations may impede the reflectivity.

The PCGS definition for Deep Mirror Prooflike is clear reflection in the fields on both sides from at least six inches away. There must be full, undistorted reflectivity on both the obverse and reverse."

Edited by rpeddie

all new coins that numistacker gets graded seem to come out pf70 ultra cameo of late