British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

NGC Slabbing

If the worn high points are a different colour, it's "wear". If they've toned down to the same colour as the rest of the coin, it's a "soft strike". So I think in many cases it's a load of blarney - I don't think in many cases anyone can tell the difference, especially, say, of early copper. Anyway, to me it's academic, the coin should be graded in relation to a really good example, whether it's thought of as soft strike or worn. Same standards should apply, they're both a weakness and result in a bad appearance.

Unfortunately, in the slabbing world, I don't think they've come across many really good examples (I'm thinking of 17th C copper here). That's why you see eg Charles II halfpennies, graded VF here, getting MS grades over there.

In the case of weak areas on otherwise strongly struck coins, again this is a grey area with some people taking it into account more than others.

And don't start me on tin! My advice is, find an example you like, and pay accordingly. Due to all the variables, the assigned grade can be somewhat random. I've seen examples change grade markedly over the years, and from the same dealers as well.

Lest we forget, TPG's make generally make their decisions in a matter of seconds  (the sheer volume of material submitted demands this...),  whereas we as the collector can spend hours or days debating the accuracy of the assigned grade..

I am NOT defending them, just playing devils advocate...... will mistakes be made, of course they will. Will the collector disagree, quite often...

However, in the big picture they are generally correct in their assessment concerning striking and wear.....

I have die adjustment strikes that look worn but are correctly designated as die adjustment strikes with an appropriate grade assigned.

Attributions of varieties are another matter completely. .... and I am not referring to that aspect as it has nothing to do with an assigned grade....

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, oldcopper said:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by die-adjustment strikes - is this double-striking?

Die Adjustment Strike. Die Adjustment Strikes are also known as die trials. This error occurs when a coin is struck from the press with very little pressure. When the press is being set up and adjusted, extremely weak strikes occur as the strike pressure reaches its optimum level.

1 hour ago, oldcopper said:

Thanks, that's a new one to me. Perhaps a facet of US coinage more than here?

I have two that I can recall at the moment,  both GB pennies, one Queen Victoria, the other Queen Elizabeth.....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

Could you put a photo up please Gary, for our information.

I'll dig them out as soon as I can and see if I can get a decent image though the slab.....

BTW, colour differences on high points are not of necessity wear or rub - the crystalline structure in struck up areas tighter and may oxidize variably from the surround and yield differences.

I agree - but I think it looks more worn if there is lightness on the high points and is often graded accordingly.

11 weeks later and I’m still awaiting the return of my coins after being submitted to NGC via the new London office

• Sad 1

about as long as i waited for a reply from their team through emails

Yes, one time I waited SIX MONTHS! And they got it wrong!!!! After I had tried to steer them in the right direction!!

I think that was on one of those 1920 "duck tailed" milling specimens....

On 9/4/2018 at 8:44 PM, rpeddie said:

i'm a staunch slab defender but that one doesn't seem right to me, a lot of the high points showing wear along with most of Britannia showing wear and even missing most of her hair and pretty much no face showing?

if i saw this one raw i would put it low MS? some defence for it is the fields show little/no damage and the rim looks good, also some good colour to it too which is pretty rare on a non proof for these.

I fully agree with you though, this one looks about as over graded as JB's usual listings :) 

Would love to hear your defence of this MS64 NGC graded coin LOL

Screenshot 2019-02-11 at 08.01.07.png

If anyone is looking to get their coins graded then let me know, i can possibly help out as NGC are doing on-site grading at their Munich office and it's only an ubahn ride for me.

They start grading next week 18th Feb and finish on the 26th Feb when i will go and pick up my submission that day, i think are doing this every 2-3 months, so if i can help anyone out then just let me know.

Of course its also a matter of trust, but i've been on here long enough for most regulars to know me, i've also met and spoke with Rob if you need some sort of confirmation.

The offer is there...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, azda said:

If anyone is looking to get their coins graded then let me know, i can possibly help out as NGC are doing on-site grading at their Munich office and it's only an ubahn ride for me.

They start grading next week 18th Feb and finish on the 26th Feb when i will go and pick up my submission that day, i think are doing this every 2-3 months, so if i can help anyone out then just let me know.

Of course its also a matter of trust, but i've been on here long enough for most regulars to know me, i've also met and spoke with Rob if you need some sort of confirmation.

The offer is there...

Hmmm, not sure I could trust a Scotsman with certain English coins...Lonshank pennies spring to mind! ;) 

5 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Hmmm, not sure I could trust a Scotsman with certain English coins...Lonshank pennies spring to mind! ;) 

I would personally ensure that they will be treated with due care Stewie, what size of drill bit would you like? 😁

• Haha 1

So, i was just over at NGC, next on-site grading will be sometime in May (not official as yet) but that's the info i got

Nice offer Dave.Although I can't see myself taking it up.:unsure:

On 2/11/2019 at 7:14 AM, azda said:

The offer is there...

Do they send them to the US for grading? (i.e. is in on-site submissions or on-site grading?)

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

Do they send them to the US for grading? (i.e. is in on-site submissions or on-site grading?)

@Paulus Grading is done in Munich, it will start on the 18th Feb for 1 week, the next is pencilled in for May but not official as yet, i'll hopefully get it pinned down when i pick my submissions up on the 27th Feb

Edited by azda

15 hours ago, azda said:

@Paulus Grading is done in Munich, it will start on the 18th Feb for 1 week, the next is pencilled in for May but not official as yet, i'll hopefully get it pinned down when i pick my submissions up on the 27th Feb

Thanks Dave, I may well be sending you a few for the May grading session, I don't think I'lll be able to make the imminent one (but it might be possible)

9 hours ago, Paulus said:

Thanks Dave, I may well be sending you a few for the May grading session, I don't think I'lll be able to make the imminent one (but it might be possible)

Today is the last day for submissions Paul, sometime in May will be the next one so you can work out what you want to submit without any pressure, we can work it all out through PM, but i'll hopefully get the exact date of the next one when i go and pick them up at the end of the month and leave the dates in here.

12 weeks and still waiting ...always the same bullsh!t answer when you speak to them in London..   

5 hours ago, Colin88 said:

12 weeks and still waiting ...always the same bullsh!t answer when you speak to them in London..   

😳 geezus, 3 months is a joke