British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Probably a Newbie Roman coin question

So after a nice response on my last Roman I have a quick question regarding coinage and their metals.

I picked up a nice little roman coin, entitled unknown and just paid a couple of pounds. It was the head of the young boy that got me as it is a lovely portrait.

I have done a little digging and think I have found the correct coin; online research only though, as I don't have any specific Roman references; but there seems to be a stumbling block. The coin I have is almost definitely bronze, weighs 2.98g and measures 14mm by 16 mm and approx 2mm thick. The one I have found which I think is correct is down as an AR Denarius.

Description taken from Beast Coins website:  https://www.beastcoins.com/RomanImperial/IV-I/Caracalla/Caracalla.htm

Caracalla as Caesar, AR Denarius, 196?, Rome
M AVR ANTONI_NVS CAES
Bare head, draped, cuirassed bust right, seen from behind
SECVRITAS PE_RPETVA
Minerva, helmeted, standing facing, head left, reversed spear in left hand, right resting on shield
16mm x 19mm, 3.06g
RIC IV, Part I, 2 (S)

The sizes can vary obviously but is this just a case of a debased coin, a contemporary forgery, or something else. My coin is below, the other can be found via link

Thanks in advance

Caracalla Caesear 196-98 - r - Minerva standing with right arm on shield left holding spear online.jpg

Many were silver dipped as currency became worth less, so it's probably a good match to be honest :)

• Like 1

The denarius (silver) was replaced by the antoninianus (various degrees of silver wash; valued at 2 denarii) and ultimately with the follis which was 100% bronze. The antoninianus was introduced by Caracalla so that is what it could well be.

• Like 2

Thanks guys