British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

zookeeperz

mail tampering

Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later as a buyer. strangely the only Item that ever got lost was a full set of jefferson nickel's I sent to Italy. Buyer claimed he never received. And here we are Italy again rifled my post stole the coin and stuck it back down although it was clear they had been at it. Not too much only £12 but the coins was worth a lot more. It was an East African 1941 Shilling the rare type 2 variety in nice EF or a little better. So Italy is now on my banned nations list . Along with Poland,Russia,Canada and all the other mandatory nasty lot types lol :)

7 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Well I guess it had to happen sooner or later as a buyer. strangely the only Item that ever got lost was a full set of jefferson nickel's I sent to Italy. Buyer claimed he never received. And here we are Italy again rifled my post stole the coin and stuck it back down although it was clear they had been at it. Not too much only £12 but the coins was worth a lot more. It was an East African 1941 Shilling the rare type 2 variety in nice EF or a little better. So Italy is now on my banned nations list . Along with Poland,Russia,Canada and all the other mandatory nasty lot types lol :)

Yes, the number of sellers you see who will not send to Italy, as well as the other countries on your list.

To be honest, I'd kind have expected better of Canada. But maybe that's a form of unconscious bias. 

• Like 1

It's happened to me in this country too even sending a coin special delivery royal mail would not even accept responsibility for the loss they used the coin in a box story saying that the coin was not in a box. It arrived having been sliced open and stuck back Down £250 lost. 

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 2:38 PM, zookeeperz said:

....Along with Poland,Russia,Canada and all the other mandatory nasty lot types lol :)

Is Canada really a problem for mail deliveries then?

8 hours ago, hibernianscribe said:

Is Canada really a problem for mail deliveries then?

yes only when  the customs forms are used on postage. it is really sad they jump on everything and they just chuck the contents back in no thought for the value of stuff esp coins. If you have a good rep with the sellers and they send it priority mail then there isn't an issue. I had a coin that had been through customs when I got it instead of it being BU it was used as an ice hockey puck first by the state of it :lol:. And it isn't fair tbh as when you show the seller they think you're trying to pull a fast one. And it's a real shame as I have in the past met some smashing dealers from canada and always reasonable prices. Don't ask Michael Gouby though bit of a sore subject :) 

Edited by zookeeperz

1 hour ago, zookeeperz said:

...and they just chuck the contents back in no thought for the value of stuff esp coins.

I've seen on another forum where UK customs opened a packet to leave a scarce ½ dam like this:

Damage.JPG

7 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I've seen on another forum where UK customs opened a packet to leave a scarce ½ dam like this:

Damage.JPG

I think customs in general are shocking 2 weeks ago I received a padded envelope with a coin from italy. package was ripped and coin was missing. Italy is really bad for theft of coins. I have dealers in Israel,Portugal,spain.france,germany,Switzerland. All use either tracked or ordinary airmail and I have touch wood never had an incident. Nor have I through royal mail for any type of postage. Just seems customs are more interested in ripping things open than the care of the items being delivered. Training courses for all I suggest. The items don't belong to them as should be treated the way they would expect valuable items of their own to be treated. Not much to ask is it? :) 

Gosh, I never expected the postal service of a country such as Canada to be iffy and this whole scene sure does emphasise the importance of insurance.

I recently bought from Status International in Australia and they openly offer to put whatever value you want on their customs declaration - I'm now thinking that to put a low value might increase the chances that the package contents could get damaged if they decide to open it - purely because they might not take as much care of a low value package than they should.

Whenever possible I use CD mailers with two sheets of card either side of the coin. Been lucky so far, even with customs declarations attached.

• Like 1

De ja Vouz. I am getting a little pissed at the service of these overseas couriers and our so called best post service in the world. I was expecting a 1902 half crown I bought from across the pond. Had tracking number and have been waiting for it to be delivered. Well apparently it was delivered 4th june . Well it may well have been but it certainly wasn't delivered to this address. I have followed it as far as the local post depot in Harold wood and then it said 10.35am delivered but no address is given. So i'll be on the blower in the morning to see what the hell is going on. 2 in 3 weeks I smell a rat after never having any mail go missing in 30 years. It's not that it has gone awol it is all the BS trying to now get a refund. I can't start proceedings it has to be done by the sender. I just can't be arsed with it all anymore tbh. Trying to get a bloody email address of these crappy couriers is like trying to reinvent the wheel being sent round and round and getting nowhere. Then you cannot fill your own details in the claim forms for where's my parcel because there isn't an option to select any other country outside the USA. I am teetering on explosion point lol:angry:

Update: Don't even want to get in to how inept these services are. Retracing steps I already did to get back to exactly where I was to start with and having to wait in phone queues for 10 mins after i had a 5 min Q&A barrage from Mrs botfire press 1 for this ,press 2 for that. After all that they told me that it had been delivered to Harold wood sorting office 10.35 am 4th june. So if you just glance above in the previous post I already bloody well knew that. Nice lady on the customer service registered the complaint failure of delivery and walked me through the steps I didn't have to take as I was the recipient. So after feeling I accomplished absolutely zero other than to have on record I never received the coin I went back to the seller told him what the CS lady had said that he being the sender would need to open a claim with USPS as they were the designated courier. In the meantime I also registered non receipt with the what I can only describe as Neanderthal fleabay resolution team who informed me they would get involved in 3 days should I wish. They told me the whole procedure which was what I have already done without their useless 3 day too late never updated to current progress system that will take up to 14 days to resolve and even then should it get to the point of he said , I said god knows who would of been deemed at a loss. Then just as my faith in mankind had almost dropped to an all time low  Out cousin seller from across the pond had refunded my money in full no questions asked so a reasonable outcome at least. I say reasonable because I would of much rather of had the coin. Don't get many of those 1902 Half crowns above EF for £56 very often. Just glad it's been put to bed :)  

Update 2 : Just had a knock on the door from the post office specifically the bloke who was supposed to have delivered my 1902 half-crown. He scanned the item but put it in 364 instead of 346. It is all time stamped shows where he was, the time and the date. After I registered the complaint I never received the mail he went back to the address as he said to me when they told him he knew what package it was . He knocked on the door and asked for the mail back to which the Polish resident denied ever receiving it. When the proof says otherwise. Sooner Brexit comes the better. If you see any 1902  half-crowns that look a little dusty but full detail give me the nod. I might still be able to get the bloody thing seeing as I can get pictures of the original. What happened to honesty I almost went knocking myself but was talked out of it after a lengthy forget it water under the bridge discussion. Looks like 364 is off my xmas card list:lol:

On 6/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, zookeeperz said:

Update 2 : Just had a knock on the door from the post office specifically the bloke who was supposed to have delivered my 1902 half-crown. He scanned the item but put it in 364 instead of 346. It is all time stamped shows where he was, the time and the date. After I registered the complaint I never received the mail he went back to the address as he said to me when they told him he knew what package it was . He knocked on the door and asked for the mail back to which the Polish resident denied ever receiving it. When the proof says otherwise. Sooner Brexit comes the better. If you see any 1902  half-crowns that look a little dusty but full detail give me the nod. I might still be able to get the bloody thing seeing as I can get pictures of the original. What happened to honesty I almost went knocking myself but was talked out of it after a lengthy forget it water under the bridge discussion. Looks like 364 is off my xmas card list:lol:

Christ Almighty, Richard, what a bloody frustrating time you've had of it. What with non receipt, wading through the robots you have to deal with subsequently, and then finding the coin had gone to somebody dishonest. It's enough to put you off trading abroad for life. 

I'd certainly never buy or sell anything from/to Italy - that's a cert, given their reputation. Nor the other places you mention. Although so far I've been lucky in buying coins from the USA, and two from Australia, which have always duly arrived without having been opened.    

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Christ Almighty, Richard, what a bloody frustrating time you've had of it. What with non receipt, wading through the robots you have to deal with subsequently, and then finding the coin had gone to somebody dishonest. It's enough to put you off trading abroad for life. 

I'd certainly never buy or sell anything from/to Italy - that's a cert, given their reputation. Nor the other places you mention. Although so far I've been lucky in buying coins from the USA, and two from Australia, which have always duly arrived without having been opened.    

And if that wasn't enough to leave a sour taste in the mouth. the slag who denied receiving my mail had a package delivered here about a year ago by mistake. was a Mans watch. Which we took to her house.Never again . **** them . If another 1 comes here i'll flog it and get my compensation. I never would do things like that. That's typical Pols for you . No moral compass everything is theirs by right. Ignorant pigs. I am far from being  a racist my family is like the united nations lol but when it comes to certain countries I have no time for them and I would feel the same or even worse if it was a a neighbour . It's just a give in this country if the mail get put next door by mistake it always finds its way to you. In fact the neighbours are normally stressed thinking you are stressed and have lost mail lol. Like I said nothing lost per say £56  £69 inc p&p from states was refunded they day I reported the coin missing from the seller which was excellent service no qualms there But in terms of outlay V £value @ current market value probably another £50-£75 worth of investment down the swanny. but a 0-0 draw isn't so bad ;) 

On 07/06/2018 at 10:45 AM, bagerap said:

Whenever possible I use CD mailers with two sheets of card either side of the coin. Been lucky so far, even with customs declarations attached.

Good luck opening package if it ever comes from me. The out of box scenario won't wash. Mini fort knox when ever I send anything. coins are in acid free flips then bubble wrapped them carded , card completely taped then in a mini jiffy bag inside a padded envelope. So there is no way possible for the coin to be seen or damaged unless opened. I started doing that after a BU set of jefferson quarters went missing in italy buyer denied receiving it. Even though I followed paypals and ebay's selling and postage instructions. My mistake was sending it ordinary air mail uninsured but to my defence it was probably in my first month selling anything. was 20 years ago now and £176 was a few bob then which the buyer was refunded . So I was £176 out of pocket + minus a coin set. That's when I decided to ban the world and stopped posting overseas. ;) . I lifted the ban on certain countries although my latest post has gone to Latvia:blink: even though I blocked Russia seems i'll have to go and click each and every one of the russian states

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

That's typical Pols for you . No moral compass everything is theirs by right. Ignorant pigs. I am far from being  a racist...

Sorry, but that's exactly how you come across. Where they are from is irrelevant - other dishonest Europeans are available. Do you think it's inconceivable that a British person could have done the same?

On 6/14/2018 at 1:57 PM, zookeeperz said:

Sooner Brexit comes the better. Looks like 364 is off my xmas card list:lol:

Looks like they were never on it in the first place. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Sorry, but that's exactly how you come across. Where they are from is irrelevant - other dishonest Europeans are available. Do you think it's inconceivable that a British person could have done the same?

If you read my post the part where I state "and I would feel the same or even worse if it was a a neighbour " and that meaning they are British doesn't excuse theft and I would act more angrily if it had of been a British person. All this political correctness BS turn the other cheek sorry not part of it. I call it as it is no matter where you come from scum is scum. It's just 1 particular country are scummier than the rest of the world in general. I am sure there are some decent ones. I am yet to meet any and that doesn't make me a racist whatsoever. When you have a community that has a heavy population of them you would understand my view point. :ph34r:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Hear hear. What I hear from many Brexiteers is absolutely and unforgiveably shameful. How is blatant xenophobia proving the moral superiority of Brits? "It's just 1 particular country are scummier than the rest of the world in general. I am sure there are some decent ones. I am yet to meet any and that doesn't make me a racist whatsoever." Maybe not, but it is xenophobic and that's just as bad.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

When you have a community that has a heavy population of them you would understand my view point. :ph34r:

I live in Walsall. I buy my turmeric from the Asian Supermarket.  I buy my sausages from the Polski sklep. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I have a rental property in Manchester with Latvian tenants. A lovely family that I would choose any day over the local hominids.

Nearly 40 years ago I was working in Cologne and found the place to be teeming with Germans. So much so that I felt compelled to carry out an act of compassion - I married one to help reduce the numbers. 

Joking aside, there is a serious point to this. Human nature has shown time and time again that any insular community will be on the receiving end of prejudicial acts and comments from the majority population simply because they aren't willing to integrate. Whether the group is based on racial or religious grounds is irrelevant, the key is that there is little social contact outside of business transactions leading to resentment that they are taking 'our jobs', and virtually no marriages across the divides occur. On an individual level, most people will get on with most people because they are willing to communicate. Resentment is almost invariably against persons unknown, who may or may not have been responsible for the act that may or may not have happened, who have most likely been described via a third party. 

None of this precludes having a dislike of an individual or individuals, but once you single out a group for who they are rather than what they have done, you are well on the way to emulating such paragons (not) of tolerance such as the Taliban, the Turkish treatment of the Kurds or the Israeli treatment of Palestinians in Gaza. It isn't a question of politically correct bs, rather one of common decency for another human being.

• Like 3

Well I withdraw from this conversation. Politics and religion are a banned subject matter so before someone says there is a God i'll just bid you all goodnight . Lets let a few more bombers in the country to kill our kids eh. See how far tolerance gets you . What a load of bollox. :angry:

5 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Well I withdraw from this conversation. Politics and religion are a banned subject matter so before someone says there is a God i'll just bid you all goodnight . Lets let a few more bombers in the country to kill our kids eh. See how far tolerance gets you . What a load of bollox. :angry:

I agree with you on one thing - politics and religion have no place in a hobby forum such as this. 

I'll sign off from this with one more comment : the bombers who killed "our kids" (and adults, of all backgrounds, religions, and nationalities) weren't immigrants. They were British-born terrorists. I'd check your facts before posting in future.

• Like 1