British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I just yesterday got my winning eBay coin after using eBay bucks for a very nice price. I don't know where the other bidders were but was happy to get it for less than 400 quid equivalent. This is PCGS coin number 225223 (not the cert number). Please help post pics if you can.

The PCGS picture is not as pleasant as the coin in hand, I am delighted to report, and it seems to not show the rub and ticks shown in the picture. 

Not a gift, but nice price. I am not sure if it is nicer than the AU58 coin which is also pictured, that one an ex-Spink coin; I don't think I can keep both at this point!

Edited by VickySilver
  • Like 1

Do you have the cert number?

Will get it in about 3-4 hours when I can check.

Yes, that's the coin with VERY poor pictures - and I got the 82.50 or so in eBay bucks!

Cert # 85749898

Edited by VickySilver

I would have a good check on the legends . Looks like its all either been repunched a few mil lower or there are mismatch over puncheslike that last R in BRITANNIAR . Nice Coin especially as you can see there are no rim nicks something that is always hidden on NGC pics :)

Sword, thanks for the pictures.

Zoo, I have looked with a magnifier and think the apparent lettering issues are related to toning - although I must admit eyes are not as sharp as I'd like.

Not that I am aware of, basically the overdate - I have not seen a "normal" second 8 in the digit. What seemed different to you ?

His is a relatively nice specimen but perhaps a bit optimistic on the grading.

It just looked different Eric although i dont have a clue and its harder to tell without the pictures being next to each other.

Must just be the one type if they are both the same :)

I have seen some variation in the strike/poss. age of die but not too sure what else. I think I am not as patient for details as I once was, so may have missed. I know that the coin listed as PCGS64 is nicer than mine for sure, and better struck as well (wonder who has that one?).

While we are on the 1848 Shilling - this is mine. The unusual shape of the 4 in the date has bugged me for a while, and there is another with similar variety on CCF at the moment. I can't see that it is over another digit. Is it a recognised variety? I do not have any references on Silver varieties yet.

Thanks,

1848 S 2 Red.JPG

1848 S 1 Red.JPG

Looks like a broken die where the indent on the foot has been lost.

• Like 1