British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Peter

10p a-z

38 minutes ago, Peckris said:

£1 and £2 coins demand the coinage continues for a good while yet, even if other denominations fall away.

When you think about it why do we need currency at all. If this doesn't scare the crap out of what is just around the corner nothing will. The good old fruit machine. Much beloved and a constant source of coinage be it £1 or £2 or so you would think. Go into any betting shop in the country and the fruit machines now take either Notes or your debit card. If you win anything you get a printed out receipt once you have finished playing and press cash out. Kind of takes away the fun of hearing all the coins bouncing in the spill tray. But this is how it will be for everything that is coin operated. It will be a swipe and read system. Just how quick it comes that's debatable but come it will. :)

I actually have nearly all olympic 50p's on cards, and was kinda hoping they'd do the same with the 10p's but was rather annoyed that I got a jiify bag full of coins in grip seal plastic bags instead. for £2 each I though it was very rude.

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but can someone explain these coins to a foreigner?

Namely: are they regular circulating coins? And, is their issue a one-off or can more of the same be expected every year?

The Royal Mint's site only lists regular circulating 10p and has nothing on these (that I could find).

They are being issued in 2018 as circulation coins. I do not know of any plan to repeat in subsequent years but as the Royal Mint is hell bent on making as much money as possible out of collectors, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Initially they were released mainly from the RM in packets at £2 each, with a small number put into circulation as "teasers". Recently a lot more have appeared in circulation - I have picked up 8 different ones in the last few weeks. There is no knowing how many they will produce or if the numbers will remain balanced. The final figures should eventually appear on their website, but usually 2 years later (so in 2020), but even that is no longer certain as their website updates have become very erratic recently.

• Like 1

Thanks Paddy. I'll keep checking the Mint's site, but as you said - it's not updated too often and with too many details 😞

Edited by Pavel

6 hours ago, Pavel said:

Sorry for resurrecting an old topic, but can someone explain these coins to a foreigner?

Namely: are they regular circulating coins? And, is their issue a one-off or can more of the same be expected every year?

The Royal Mint's site only lists regular circulating 10p and has nothing on these (that I could find).

Hi @Pavel the RM site is a bit unfriendly with it's navigation, here is the link you require.

Thanks @Unwilling Numismatist The site doesn't list mintages and there are no individual descriptions of the coins, so I'll have to write my own 😞

"very first A to Z coin hunt" it says - so we can expect more of this type of thing in the coming years...

Trying to get a full date run of UK circulating coins becomes sort of problematic now, I guess.

It's getting much harder - especially when the RM keep minting coins which they then say "won't enter circulation" and "may not enter circulation" ....

The mintage figures for 2018 coins won't be available for a year or so, but I would imagine the coin-hunt is such a good money spinner for them that it will definitely continue for some time to come.

Individual 10p coins can be found here.

And according to the tour guide from my recent mint visit, I know the mintage.

I'd very much suggest that if you want a full set you go buy one rather sharpish - as *every* coin has a lower mintage than......

these!

385_2009-kew-gardens-50p_coin.jpg?width=

200k of each letter, total mintage 5.2 million

Edited by Unwilling Numismatist
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

They might as well not have bothered advertising them as I've never seen one.

Thankfully the fact the designs are by 'The Royal Mint Team' and Jody Clark and not a new named designer means I won't need to tick any boxes here. That's a bonus after the Olympic 50ps. :)

I did splash out and buy a full set and I've just sold a spare letter 'B' I had, maybe I should pull the 'A' I'm selling and hang on to it far a while longer!

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

I did splash out and buy a full set and I've just sold a spare letter 'B' I had, maybe I should pull the 'A' I'm selling and hang on to it far a while longer!

After not seeing one in my change I bought a set to store away a while back.

• Like 1

I’m just going to hang on in the hope of finding one in change, just think how rare CIRCULATED examples will be!

Jerry

• Like 1

I'm not lining the pockets of the RM for this crap, it's a horrible series. :(

My girlfriend found a J which I promptly snaffled. :) 

I am up to 11 from change/swaps with other collectors in the market. Got an "M" today as a swap.

I hate buying from the RM - I feel immediately that I am being ripped off - but I may have to to complete the set... 😞

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

I am up to 11 from change/swaps with other collectors in the market. Got an "M" today as a swap.

I hate buying from the RM - I feel immediately that I am being ripped off - but I may have to to complete the set... 😞

I have an A for sale Paddy, £20 and it's yours :ph34r:

Seriously though if you need it I can pop it in the post