British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Peter

10p a-z

OK I cracked..being a died in the wool predecimal collector.I bought all 26 10p's yesterday....ban cheap red wine I say.

I have tried to find mintages.The only thing I have learnt  is that  most of the Olympic 50P's are not found regularity in circulation.

Proves coins are fascinating a new generation.Imagine if a newbie collector buys a Kew 50P (probably Chinese) and then finds out he could of bought a few quality Ed1 pennies.

I bought a BU Kew 50p for £3.50 back in the day...low mintage no brainer...daily mail /Sun readers :) it will soon be buying me a few quality hammered.

• Like 2

i got the 10p's soon as they went up, in the sealed barcoded bags, early strike they call them, there is no BU version, 100,000 of each have been put into circulation at certain post offices, with more to come, seems to be lots of certain numbers with others less common, there are a few facebook pages where they are going for bout £1 each,    going to be interesting as to what the next kew gardens will be, you dont get many of any in your change cause they are all on ebay lol 

I gave in and bought A to Z too.

Just need 3 £2 coins to complete those now as a distraction to collecting Vicky silvr...and bronze.

Not sure how it happened. Silver was my happy place til I came here and now everything costs me so much more lol.

• Like 1

I have also joined the club bought mine when they first were advertised.:D Also bought the card case/holder to mount them in. Just one thing are these in circulation yet as I have not come across any in my change yet.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

I bought one of Rob's vacant cabinets.Probably will fill with decimals.Send me a crate of Newqy Brown so I can Pizz my B&B bed...a bit embarrassing as I was a consultant costing £1K a day...I'm now freelance and cheaper and don't pizz beds...I only work when I want to.Civils/Building claims I'm your man....40 yrs a QS.

i just need a Yammy R1 in the garage the Boxter has been sorted....yep I'm widowed and growing potatoes in the front garden...daughters hate it but want to keep their inheritance..

• Like 1

not seen one

32 minutes ago, copper123 said:

not seen one

I have been shown a few in hand by ardent young collectors. All so far have come through contacts at the local post offices.

I spoke to the guy in my local PO and he confirmed they had received one bag of them. When I asked if he had any left he went a bit cagey - I suspect he took the lot himself and sold them on...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

I have been shown a few in hand by ardent young collectors. All so far have come through contacts at the local post offices.

I spoke to the guy in my local PO and he confirmed they had received one bag of them. When I asked if he had any left he went a bit cagey - I suspect he took the lot himself and sold them on...

And what whould anyone with any sense do?

they do work with cash all the time

5 minutes ago, copper123 said:

And what whould anyone with any sense do?

I was not criticising him! I am sure I would have done the same in his position, particularly as it is a small local Post Office struggling to survive. Just commenting on where they have all gone and why they are not appearing in circulation. :-)

As soon as they're seen they either get "collected" or ebayed, either way they ain't going back into circulation.

• Like 1

Yes quite a few staff in some of the post offices are on the minimum wage or just above ., its tempting to pass a bag of these over to you mum or dad  in exchange for a fiver

Many are on £15 an hour perhaps they dont need it.

Its interesting that we are waiting for 2018 ten pence coins in 2018 when according to the mint they have stamped 24.5 million 2017 ten pences and there are none that i can see in circulation.

Is the mint now skiping a year?

I believe its to do with how the cash distribution hubs handle coinage.

As there is so much "good" coinage, much of it is re-bagged and recirculated, rather than bags of new coins being issued. Pretty much every bank and PO I've asked in has all said the same - they get sealed bags of recycled coins, and none so far have admitted even handling any new 10p's. With the rise of contactless, there is much less active coinage, so it becomes less likely to see new coins until long after their minting date.

Some is definitely creeping out, but the general feeling is that those who find the bags of magic coins (PO workers etc) might be the ones saving it for family and friends, rather than it all reaching joe public.

I can't see them saving 2017 ten pence coins some how.

Normally they are stamped and then batched, if they are not needed they don't get stamped.

Like i say according to the royal mint 24.5 million 2017 coins have been produced as yet none have bèen circulated.

8 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

With the rise of contactless, there is much less active coinage

I'm afraid your spot on there, I can even pay for my bus trip to work now by contactless. Far easier too

23 minutes ago, will1976 said:

I'm afraid your spot on there, I can even pay for my bus trip to work now by contactless. Far easier too

There will come a time when cash as we know it will cease to exist it will all be contactless. Just scan and go. But not for maybe 50 years or so but it's coming you can feel the undertones :)

41 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

There will come a time when cash as we know it will cease to exist it will all be contactless. Just scan and go. But not for maybe 50 years or so but it's coming you can feel the undertones :)

Probably sooner than you think, I read not long ago that electronic payment is being pushed hard by the providers and Politicians favour cashless as a way of combating against cash payment etc. Even criminal gangs are now using Bit Coin and other crypto currencies.

Edited by Chingford

39 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

Could you believe the recent outcry over the mere suggestion that the bronze coins are now a waste of space? Just for the record, the 1p is worth less than the 1/2p when it was demonetised, and a LOT less than the farthing in 1960 when it went. I will mourn the name 'penny' but not the coins themselves.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chingford said:

Probably sooner than you think, I read not long ago that electronic payment is being pushed hard by the providers and Politicians favour cashless as a way of combating against cash payment etc. Even criminal gangs are now using Bit Coin and other crypto currencies.

Yes there is a drive to do away with cash machines in the not so distant future

3 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

Yes there is a drive to do away with cash machines in the not so distant future

Don't see it - eventually maybe, but coins will disappear long before notes.

As long as notes exist, coins will be required for change.

When cash doesn't exist in monetary form it will be a sad day, charities and homeless people will suffer greatly from the inability to donate loose change.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Not entirely true. I was in Vietnam a few years ago and they no longer use coins at all - all notes down to ones worth about 5p.

There again, with 10,000 Dong to the dollar I suppose it was inevitable! 

Edited by Paddy
Add line

9 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

When cash doesn't exist in monetary form it will be a sad day, charities and homeless people will suffer greatly from the inability to donate loose change.

£1 and £2 coins demand the coinage continues for a good while yet, even if other denominations fall away.