British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Heads up on the late Hiram Brown penny collection auction

On 9/18/2018 at 6:28 PM, RLC35 said:

B&C Collector is Gary Schindler, from New York. He has about every variety of Victorian Copper/Bronze know to man! LOL.

schindlers list then

• Like 1

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

Michael Gouby has just told me that the "F6A Proof" has been returned to DNW - surprise, surprise !

I'm amazed whoever it was fell for it in the first place. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2018 at 6:31 PM, 1949threepence said:

I'm amazed whoever it was fell for it in the first place. 

Theres always, someone ,somewhere , a numpty on every corner.

6 hours ago, copper123 said:

Theres always, someone ,somewhere , a numpty on every corner.

Did you want me?

• Haha 2

On 9/19/2018 at 10:51 AM, Rob said:

Glens used to be Graham, Spink was Goddard and Sotheby used a range of names where there was no bidder - cf the Freeman sale.

Sorry to return to this topic, but at the risk of sounding thick, I'm not sure I entirely get the point of introducing what is in effect an imaginary bidder in some cases, while in others, in the absence of any bids, the lot is announced by the auctioneer as unsold. Probably something I'm overlooking, but not sure what.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Sorry to return to this topic, but at the risk of sounding thick, I'm not sure I entirely get the point of introducing what is in effect an imaginary bidder in some cases, while in others, in the absence of any bids, the lot is announced by the auctioneer as unsold. Probably something I'm overlooking, but not sure what.    

I assume that when there is a genuine bid, but below the reserve, they have to introduce a ‘house’ bid before they can knock the item down, otherwise the genuine bidder might think he has won the item. Not an issue when there are no bids at all, of course.

Jerry

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jelida said:

I assume that when there is a genuine bid, but below the reserve, they have to introduce a ‘house’ bid before they can knock the item down, otherwise the genuine bidder might think he has won the item. Not an issue when there are no bids at all, of course.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. 

This "Wood" character only gets mentioned at the end of bidding and merely signifies that it was a book (commission) bidder. It is the last word uttered by the auctioneer before the next lot.

I'm not sure but I think also some lots unsold seem to get this "Wood" label.

I found this rummaging through a recent DNW catalogue: 

Wood.JPG

Wood2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I found this rummaging through a recent DNW catalogue: 

Wood.JPG

Wood2.jpg

Well spotted, Jon. 

Edited by 1949threepence

Brilliant - mystery solved. But "why Wood ?"............. I guess to preserve anonymity.

27 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Brilliant - mystery solved. But "why Wood ?"............. I guess to preserve anonymity.

Just a random thought, possibly because the auctioneer uses a wooden gavel and he is acting on their behalf....

Meaning the gavel won it, or the "wood" won it.....  as good a guess as any....

Edited by Bronze & Copper Collector

8 minutes ago, Bronze & Copper Collector said:

Just a random thought, possibly because the auctioneer uses a wooden gavel and he is acting on their behalf....

Meaning the gavel won it, or the "wood" won it.....  as good a guess as any....

I always assumed that this is precisely what was meant. Either that or the wood that the gavel lands on!

2 minutes ago, DaveG38 said:

I always assumed that this is precisely what was meant. Either that or the wood that the gavel lands on!

It's the simplest and most logical explanation......

At least today it is the only 'name' announced as the winning bid because everything else is knocked down to a paddle number. Fifty years ago the buyer's name was made public in the room when the sale was recorded, and as the attached sale results attest, the use of a generic name for book bids could lead to potential confusion. Glens used 'Graham' as the book bid winner. The attached is the first page of sale results for the collection of...............K V Graham. Good job he was the vendor.

img954.jpg

The next and possibly final part of this collection is up for bidding on 20th/21st February, link here.

Apart from a very nice Freeman 147, a bit disappointing - for me anyway. Although anybody in the early stages of a bun collection might find it interesting, as there are some high grade specimens on offer.

Elsewhere in the auction, there is a F39A in VF.