British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1949threepence

Heads up on the late Hiram Brown penny collection auction

Sorry Mike i dont even know anyone called Gary 😂 my heads whirling with the medication.

He just opened at £700 , the hammer went down and the auctioneer  said " Hat off Mike " 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Rob said:

Wood is a book bidder.

An individual or just code for a book bidder ?

13 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry Mike i dont even know anyone called Gary 😂 my heads whirling with the medication.

He just opened at £700 , the hammer went down and the auctioneer  said " Hat off Mike " 

@Bronze & Copper Collector is called Gary, I think.

9 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

@Bronze & Copper Collector is called Gary, I think.

B&C Collector is Gary Schindler, from New York. He has about every variety of Victorian Copper/Bronze know to man! LOL.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, secret santa said:

An individual or just code for a book bidder ?

Book bidder. Mr Wood would have to have very deep pockets to have won the number of lots knocked down to him over the years.

I was happy with my three pennies.......all silver, and hammered to boot! Most pleased with the Stephen from the Hereford Mint at £480 hammer. But sadly I know my late mate Ray Inder paid £800 for it.......😕.

Yes, the 1860 E over P was ridiculously cheap, even though it is a little battered around the edges. And lot 580 did OK despite being mis-described in the catalogue. I feel that DNW is more of a buyers than a sellers market for the bronze series,  over several recent auctions.

Jerry

32 minutes ago, jelida said:

And lot 580 did OK despite being mis-described in the catalogue.

I thought that it would do a lot better - it was so obviously an F14, in a decent grade albeit with severe die cracks.

58 minutes ago, jelida said:

I was happy with my three pennies.......all silver, and hammered to boot! Most pleased with the Stephen from the Hereford Mint at £480 hammer. But sadly I know my late mate Ray Inder paid £800 for it.......😕.

Yes, the 1860 E over P was ridiculously cheap, even though it is a little battered around the edges. And lot 580 did OK despite being mis-described in the catalogue. I feel that DNW is more of a buyers than a sellers market for the bronze series,  over several recent auctions.

Jerry

Yes - I went for the Silver hammered as well. Picked up an Edward the Elder to fill a gap and a nice Henry II as an upgrade. That is about all I can justify spending at the moment.

1 hour ago, secret santa said:

I thought that it would do a lot better - it was so obviously an F14, in a decent grade albeit with severe die cracks.

Realised £750 hammer, so was obviously recognised. I wonder if it went for a bit less than might have been expected because Lot 582 was also an F14, and described as such. That fetched £800 hammer.  

4 hours ago, Rob said:

Wood is a book bidder.

Not a hard bid?

14 hours ago, Rob said:

Book bidder. Mr Wood would have to have very deep pockets to have won the number of lots knocked down to him over the years.

Is this a DNW peculiarity or a general auction custom ? I've never heard it before.

13 minutes ago, secret santa said:

Is this a DNW peculiarity or a general auction custom ? I've never heard it before.

I think its just the one auctioneer at DNW ,i have never heard anyone else say it.Sometimes when DNW use someone else they dont say it either.

Glens used to be Graham, Spink was Goddard and Sotheby used a range of names where there was no bidder - cf the Freeman sale.

• Like 1

DNW sometimes put in a minimum bid for a non-starter (ie put a bid on it themselves if none other is forthcoming), so possibly no-one bought the 1860 F6a proof penny. I know this because they offered me a swap for a coin I bought a few years ago (someone else had put in a considerably higher max bid on the internet but their computer system had missed it - oops). Anyway, their offered swap was a "discounted" coin that supposedly sold at their auction the day before. Fortunately I'd paid for the coin by then so I wasn't tempted - their swap coin was not very tempting either (a corroded tin farthing), discount or no discount!

Probably most auctioneers do this - I knew LCA did.

I listened to the F6A bidding and there were several bids so I think someone bought it - they'll be disappointed.

3 hours ago, secret santa said:

So does this Mr Wood actually exist or not? The next obvious question. 

57 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If he does, then he has the best coin collection in the world.

He has bought maybe close to 50% of all DNW lots over the past 25 years. Some collection, but still lacking in the top pieces as these nearly always go to people in the room or phone bidders.

• Haha 1

Sorry to derail the conversation on Wood! I’ve often laughed at the way they spew that term.  

I am unable to sign on to live bidding at DNW on Apple iPhone or iPad.  Does anyone else have that problem? They don’t take Adobe or whatever system (can’t recall which) .

10 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

You want hard evidence? ;)

9 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

You want hard evidence? ;)

I'm gonna knock...on wood :ph34r:

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I'm gonna knock...on wood :ph34r:

Ouch!! :o:blink:

• Haha 1

Astounded how quickly my DNW auction win from the Hiram Brown collection, has arrived. Only paid yesterday. 

I also noticed that the invoice was posted in my account within 3 hours of the win, and the procedure to pay online could not have been more user friendly . That's a welcome departure from previously, when even several days afterwards, all you would see was the previous invoice, and you had to ring them to pay. 

Well done DNW. I actually managed to do something online without it being overly time consuming, complex and annoying. Kudos to them. 

• Like 1

Michael Gouby has just told me that the "F6A Proof" has been returned to DNW - surprise, surprise !