British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Music to sort coins to

Ian brown from the stone roses said "Manchester has everything but a beach ".

Edited by PWA 1967

I love this tune, @PWA 1967 you remember this?

when i listen i hope i have no Chinese fakes 😁

Edited by azda

Probably the best gig i ever went to as wasnt expecting to go .

Me and a mate took a wagon load of maggots over as a breeder over there was running short for a fishing festival.

The guy who had the farm over there gave us the tickets for doing him a big favour 🙂

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

Probably the best gig i ever went to as wasnt expecting to go .

Me and a mate took a wagon load of maggots over as a breeder over there was running short for a fishing festival.

The guy who had the farm over there gave us the tickets for doing him a big favour 🙂

Saw the Stones this year, they were brilliant, U2 is one band i still have to see.........

• Like 1

Thanks Peck. I've underslept, been up since 3.30 and now I've got this strange desire to listen to Bill bloody Bailey all day.

• Haha 1

It's a pity this thread went under a bit. Last Christmas I treated myself to a turntable setup and records have honestly become a favourite hobby of mine since- as well as the obvious of course.

As a ' millennial ' (as much as I dislike the term ) I would have grown up with online digital music - where it's not so much albums as it is singles/hit songs. It really is great to stick on an LP and listen to the obscure as well as the well known tracks. Here's what I've been listening to lately:

Mike Oldfield

Pink Floyd

Tears for Fears

Yazoo (Upstairs at Erics is such an underrated early 80's record)

Spandau Ballet (Before I'm shot their first two albums have some genuinely brilliant synth stuff akin to Depeche Mode etc. After that they went full cringe)

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark

Nik Kershaw (I'm sorry)

Kraftwerk

• Like 3

Some good ones there! Pink Floyd is still my go-to favourite. (Not so sure about Nik Kershaw, but nothing personal...)

A few ideas for expanding you listening:

Tangerine Dream - long melodious but unusual tracks somewhere between Mike Oldfield and Kraftwerk.

Moody Blues - inventive but slightly more "pop" prog music than Floyd.

The Strawbs - More "folky" prog music than Floyd or Moody Blues. Some excellent concept songs and albums.

I could go on with many many more, but that will do for now!

• Like 3

Fantastic choices above! I have thousands of lp’s, but then I started in the ‘70’s, and am still buying. My preferred listening includes much of the above, but add

Genesis

King Crimson (especially Court of the Crimson King)

Bowie

Dire Straits

but I also have folk , pop, jazz etc-  quite a cross spectrum of the second half of the 20th century.

One of my current favourite bands  is ‘Big Big Train’ , great  prog rock, saw them in concert last month. Have a listen on YouTube.

Jerry

• Like 3

Forgot to mention Big Country, its very hard to find an album where literally every song is a banger but The Crossing from '83 is one of them 

Edited by Conor44

A friend gave me a Big Big Train album - I do enjoy it, but of modern 'prog' I think I prefer Steve Wilson, Mercury Rev, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree, and The Reasoning.

Just listened to Folklore by Big Big Train.

Not sure....like Peter Gabriel decided to do Folk.....

I played something I hadn't played for years, tonight....The Night, by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.  Phenomenal.

• Like 1

• Like 3

Welcome back Madness, even if only for Christmas!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peckris 2 said:

Welcome back Madness, even if only for Christmas!

Thanks mate.  Hope you have an enjoyable and safe holiday.

Nathan

• Like 1

Yeah!! Likewise.

Good to hear from you mate!

Bonzer!

• Like 1

With all this extra time on our hands, why not post some music to share?

I came across a couple of CDs by Ozric Tentacles the other day - very interesting to me - somewhere between prog and trance!

This Youtube will play you the music - sadly no video to go with it:

• Like 2

Armchair Dylanologists will be sorting away to Murder Most Foul.

On 3/22/2020 at 2:40 PM, Paddy said:

With all this extra time on our hands, why not post some music to share?

I came across a couple of CDs by Ozric Tentacles the other day - very interesting to me - somewhere between prog and trance!

This Youtube will play you the music - sadly no video to go with it:

Used to love trance and techno back in the day (early 2000's) - talking of which, anybody remember this effort from 2003:-

• Like 1

My favourite trance track, also from 2003 - Pretty Green Eyes, Ultrabeat.

• Like 1

All very sedate. A million miles away from 1967.

One for you I think Paddy. 90 minutes of live remastered Floyd from 1994:

• Like 2

The first time I ever heard Pink Floyd was while watching the movie "Crystal Voyager" at the cinema. The track was "Echoes" and it was played as the background to a dude surfing a tube.
That was 1973 and I've been hooked ever since.
Around that time we also had a thing going with making displays like the pulse section at the begining. A local TV shop was doing part exchanges on old TVs and we scrounged a bunch from his scrap pile. Disconnect the scan coils and apply a stereo channel to each coil and watch the pretty Lissajou's figures. Stuff like PInk Floyd's with a lot of single note pulses was ideal especially if the stereo was well seperated. Disco lights had nothing to compare.
While I was at school in the early 60s Practical Wireless or Practical Electronics had a circuit for something called a "Spectrophon" that converted sound to light using OC25 transistors as amplifiers. Usually audio split into three channels but that was adaptable. At the time the MOT test came in so with a bit of adaptation you could power those big Marechal headlights from scrapped cars in the local scrapyard.
Now you get the same sort of thing on a chip. 🙄

• Like 2

Well I have just "wasted" a whole afternoon listening and watching that Pulse video. Thanks @bagerap !