British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Music to sort coins to

Yeah. I've spent the last two days turning over the ground, composting, levelling, and reseeding, in the back garden.

In my mind I'm a snake-hipped, eye-linered, rock god. In reality, I'm hobbling about like an extra from Planet of the Apes muttering: '"Ooh me poor back, ooh me poor back'…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

I am afraid to say I saw  her and the band around the year 2000 and she ain't  teenage boys wet dream material anymore

I still would. :D

1 hour ago, Michael-Roo said:

Debby Harry Pete?

Here you go.

Read 'em an' weep…..:)

Blondie.jpeg

Makes my Jim Bowen autograph pale into insignificance. :(

Strongbow campus challenge_0001.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Yeah. I've spent the last two days turning over the ground, composting, levelling, and reseeding, in the back garden.

In my mind I'm a snake-hipped, eye-linered, rock god. In reality, I'm hobbling about like an extra from Planet of the Apes muttering: '"Ooh me poor back, ooh me poor back'…..

I've just spent a day riddling about 32 cubic feet of soil. I feel your pain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbhYqV17CoQ

• Like 1

Ah, Bullseye. Fabulous.

• Like 2

My point is actually that in blondies early days to much was concentrated on debbies looks , when they made the comeback around 15 or so years later the drugs and just life in general had taken a bit of a toll , it also seems to be unkinder to the female of the species and the lead singer in any group prob gets the most attention with the bass player the least.

In the blondie music catalogue is some of the best late seventies and early eighties music ever , the rap song and heart of glass are among the best songs ever , but also there is some real dross or filler material in there as well .

they are still a great band and it was lovely to see them

• Like 1

Fair point.:)

I should add one - just one! - track that's absolutely guaranteed to get anyone on the dancefloor:

Earth Wind & Fire and the Emotions - Boogie Wonderland. :)

https://youtu.be/5EcnUmnbyUQ

Beautiful song about a collector of a different sort. Big Big Train are a contemporary Brit prog rock outfit.  Lineup includes Dave Gregory of XTC.  

Edited by Madness
  • Like 3

For those after something extremely relaxing, ethereal:

For those after something funky and weird:

For those who need more mellotron in their lives, and, honestly, who doesn't?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Madness said:

For those after something extremely relaxing, ethereal:

For those after something funky and weird:

For those who need more mellotron in their lives, and, honestly, who doesn't

Very nice mix. Baroque, prog rock, and pop proto-prog.

Of course, you know that's not the real Paul McCartney...?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Very nice mix. Baroque, prog rock, and pop proto-prog.

Of course, you know that's not the real Paul McCartney...?

The first piece is actually Renaissance.  Love the stuff.  When I was a teenager our music teacher said "Who wants to learn an instrument?  Any instrument you want"  I told him I desperately wanted to play the lute.  He thought I was trying to wind him up.  Now I play renaissance instruments vicariously through multiple devices.  

Prog is a more recent love dating back only a couple of years.  So much depth of talent to explore.  Can you recommend any?

How do you know when Paul McCartney isn't really Paul McCartney?  Does that have something to do with a conspiracy involving a car accident and a body double?

2 minutes ago, Madness said:

The first piece is actually Renaissance.  Love the stuff.  When I was a teenager our music teacher said "Who wants to learn an instrument?  Any instrument you want"  I told him I desperately wanted to play the lute.  He thought I was trying to wind him up.  Now I play renaissance instruments vicariously through multiple devices.  

Prog is a more recent love dating back only a couple of years.  So much depth of talent to explore.  Can you recommend any?

How do you know when Paul McCartney isn't really Paul McCartney?  Does that have something to do with a conspiracy involving a car accident and a body double?

So much to choose from! My first love was Genesis and they still stand up. Yes I now find sterile apart from The Yes Album. An enduring love is the Canterbury Scene : Soft Machine, Kevin Ayers, Caravan, Robert Wyatt, Hatfield & The North. Of course you can't say Pink Floyd aren't prog, despite their mainstream status. Then there's King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gong, and so many - but that's a start.

No, I don't actually subscribe to the 'Paul is dead' conspiracy - there are more  holes in it than a sieve! However, there are two puzzling unanswered questions :

1. What was Heather Mills' enigmatic remark about, knowing stuff about Paul that would put her life in danger if she revealed it?

2. Why did Paul wear a black rose when they descended that staircase in Magical Mystery Tour? (I do have my own theory about that one, and Paul's own explanation is absolute rubbish).

• Like 2

I always seem to have the best luck collecting good images during a full run of Beethoven's Symphonies ....the third is always particularly useful LOL 

3 minutes ago, Peckris said:

So much to choose from! My first love was Genesis and they still stand up. Yes I now find sterile apart from The Yes Album. An enduring love is the Canterbury Scene : Soft Machine, Kevin Ayers, Caravan, Robert Wyatt, Hatfield & The North. Of course you can't say Pink Floyd aren't prog, despite their mainstream status. Then there's King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Gong, and so many - but that's a start.

No, I don't actually subscribe to the 'Paul is dead' conspiracy - there are more  holes in it than a sieve! However, there are two puzzling unanswered questions :

1. What was Heather Mills' enigmatic remark about, knowing stuff about Paul that would put her life in danger if she revealed it?

2. Why did Paul wear a black rose when they descended that staircase in Magical Mystery Tour? (I do have my own theory about that one, and Paul's own explanation is absolute rubbish).

Peck hits many of the ones I would suggest - Pink Floyd being my ultimate favourite. A few others: The Strawbs, Greenslade. Moody Blues (though they get a bit poppy sometimes), Emerson Lake and Palmer...

Here is Greenslade as they are probably the least know of the above:

• Like 2

Yes - I could have added Greenslade, also Henry Cow (though perhaps an acquired taste, like Gong!). I could also have mentioned Rush, but they don't float my boat. I detest ELP which is why I didn't mention them - I'd call them 'keyboard metal' rather than prog, especially as they do a lot of classical 'interpretation'; The Nice were better IMO, especially their version of West Side Story's 'America'.

These days you have Porcupine Tree, Dream Theatre, Steve Wilson, Goldfrapp, Sid Arthur, Mercury Rev, Flaming Lips, Big Big Train, The Besnard Lakes, and many others .. and there have been plenty of other progressive artists over the years, such as Björk, Kate Bush, again too many to mention.

• Like 2

Sorry, I can't be doing with all this army greatcoat, groups biro-ed onto school bags, patchouli dabbed behind the ears, stuff.

I've always liked toe-tappin' songs. 

This evening I've been losing myself in the glorious sounds of Dusty, and I don't care who knows it....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Michael-Roo said:

Sorry, I can't be doing with all this army greatcoat, groups biro-ed onto school bags, patchouli dabbed behind the ears, stuff.

For some reason your post brought to mind this song, by a group optimistically described in the late 70's as "prog's last gasp":

Here's something toe-tapping that I enjoy:

Edited by Madness

I wish the world were like Chigwick.  I'd go outside more often.

• Like 1

Everly Brothers? You'll not hear any objections from me.

If we're talking prog's last gap? Bring it on. Couldn't come too soon.

Here's one. July 1973. I saw this show a few weeks earlier at the Liverpool Empire. I was 14. 

Edited by Michael-Roo

Lets speed it up a little bit!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Before you write off all 'prog' as beyond the pale and unlistenable, try three tracks I've picked at random from my iTunes ...

• Like 1

A little number from two of the most accomplished performers I've ever seen. The support isn't bad either.

• Like 1

I'd happily listen to Wilko Johnson all day long.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

A little number from two of the most accomplished performers I've ever seen. The support isn't bad either.

I never did understand why they didn't call the album "Roger, Wilco .. not out". Perhaps too obvious?

• Like 1