British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi, I am new to this forum but it would be nice to get some help. I own this 1860 penny in just about unc condition. I realize that there were many varieties of this coin. I believe mine is a toothed border but not entirely sure now as some look beaded. Also the "I" in BRITT is out of line and there appears to be a few letters double struck.  I know there are some experts out there so any help would be gratefully received regards variety, value, rarity etc...Thanks in anticipation..Thanks in anticipation.imageedit_3_2671711776.jpg

imageedit_1_9319331385.jpg

• Like 2

I would say that it is Freeman 10, Obverse 2 + Reverse D. Not one of the rarer types, but very nice condition to have. Approximate value, around £200.

On a true beaded border penny ALL of the "teeth" are circular beads separate from the outer rim. If any tooth joins the outer rim then it is a toothed border.

Check out the pictures on my varieties website (below)

Ok thanks for your help. Slightly disappointing value however, I thought it may be worth a bit more.

14 hours ago, secret santa said:

On a true beaded border penny ALL of the "teeth" are circular beads separate from the outer rim. If any tooth joins the outer rim then it is a toothed border.

Check out the pictures on my varieties website (below)

Ok thanks for your help.

Holy shmoley! I am glad I am not chasing after variations!

On 16 April 2018 at 7:41 AM, mather said:

Ok thanks for your help. Slightly disappointing value however, I thought it may be worth a bit more.

Good luck with your £450 valuation! (The problem with the commoner varieties of 1860 - 1863 is that many were put aside at the time, as it was such a radical change to the base metal denominations; there's quite a lot of them out there. Nevertheless they are popular, so you might still get a decent offer).

Yeah a bit much I must admit but I thought it might be worth a try.  I may have to adjust that but would be open to a decent offer anyway.

If you search London Coins archives, you'll find plenty of lustrous F10 pennies that sold for under £200 - it's quite a common variety as Peckris describes above - just trying to manage your expectations.