British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

bhx7

Unidentified Roman Bronze

Hi Guys

Looking to identify this one. I can't seem to find it. I think it is Constantine, possibly within the "Falling Horseman" types, but cant seem to work out the extra on the reverse.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Unknown Roman.jpg

looks like a barbaric? reproduction of a constans or constantanious II AE follis,

can see the start of the legend

"DN CON....""

• Like 2

I agree though I am no expert.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rpeddie said:

looks like a barbaric? reproduction of a constans or constantanious II AE follis,

can see the start of the legend

"DN CON....""

Thanks Guys

As you say it has to be a barborous type. I have scoured the pages online as well as a few books and it just isn't sophisticated enough to be a Roman issue. Plus it looks like the horseman himself is stabbing the horse!  I've now looked at other barborous types and this is actually a very nice example of its kind, so I am still very happy with it. Totally appreciate you both taking the time to reply.

Cheers Brian

IMO a very collectable coin , more so than a constantine bronze anyway , there are hundreds of millions of them around

• Like 4

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

IMO a very collectable coin , more so than a constantine bronze anyway , there are hundreds of millions of them around

I totally agree!

• Like 1

I'm also on board with it being barbarous, and I'll add that I'd judge the condition for such to be exceptional.

• Like 1