British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Jordanturner

Please help

Hi, I have a £2 coin savings pot. I opened it today and saw I have quite a few rare £2 coins, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me out and see if any of them are actually worth anything. I have checked all and narrowed down the ones with minting errors like upside down writing and missing/faint dots around the Queen, I’m just not sure where to go from there?

Don't get your hopes up as it is very unlikely that any of them are actually "rare" and worth anything more than £2 each.

The writing on the edge is "right way up" for half the coins minted and "upside down" for the other half. 

Let's face it, if you can find several "rare" coins in a pot, then you are just as likely to find "rare" coins if you get several bags of £2 from a bank.

Do post a photo if you like.

With £2 coins, some are worth much more than face value, but largely most are literally face.

The ones you want to look for are

* Single metal "Claim of Rights"

* Commonwealth games (2002) England

* Commonwealth games (2002) Northern Ireland

* Olympic handover 2008

A few others - error coins Royal Navy - Cat on the mast and Full flag error are the main contenders, pretty much everything else is £2 unless it's in uncirculated condition.

I will now be hung at dawn as this is clearly Post Decimal :)

13 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I will now be hung at dawn as this is clearly Post Decimal :)

Really? When did decimal end and what's taken its place? :ph34r:

Hi Jordan - I agree with what Unwilling Numismatist says.  The upside down writing coins aren't any more valuable - the writing on the edge can be either way up, each type is normal.  The Commonwealth Games coins of 2002 are worth about £5-£10 each if they are the England, Scotland or Wales versions, the Northern Ireland version goes for quite a bit more - perhaps £30 ish.  The 2012 Rio handover coin is also perhaps worth £4-£8 on a good day. 

Basically, none of the bimetallic coins will make your fortune, so I would keep the best one of each type that you have (if you are interested in keeping them at all) and then spend the rest.  I doubt if it's worth the hassle of selling them on eBay to make a relatively small amount extra (but you may well disagree).

There are a few others that are scare or rare, although they don't appear to be all that popular and so the prices are fairly low. The link below is to the mintage figures (up to and including 2016 coins) for each type: 

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued/

I like these £2 coins myself and have kept about 35 different ones but am under no illusions about their value!

13 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

Hi Jordan - I agree with what Unwilling Numismatist says.  The upside down writing coins aren't any more valuable - the writing on the edge can be either way up, each type is normal.  The Commonwealth Games coins of 2002 are worth about £5-£10 each if they are the England, Scotland or Wales versions, the Northern Ireland version goes for quite a bit more - perhaps £30 ish.  The 2012 Rio handover coin is also perhaps worth £4-£8 on a good day. 

Basically, none of the bimetallic coins will make your fortune, so I would keep the best one of each type that you have (if you are interested in keeping them at all) and then spend the rest.  I doubt if it's worth the hassle of selling them on eBay to make a relatively small amount extra (but you may well disagree).

There are a few others that are scare or rare, although they don't appear to be all that popular and so the prices are fairly low. The link below is to the mintage figures (up to and including 2016 coins) for each type: 

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/two-pounds-to-20p-issued/

I like these £2 coins myself and have kept about 35 different ones but am under no illusions about their value!

And what about the 1999 £2 technology and industry not the rugby one. Rarest of all the £2 coins in UNC and almost unheard of in BU as no BU sets or proof sets were made in that year so all there is are coins from circulation and despite 39 million minted I guess nobody thought of keeping them Book suggests £40 unc £100 BU

• Like 1

1999 Tech is only if you want to go insane chasing them all ... I'm happy with my BU 2015 Tech for the picture in the box, one day I might get crazy but you can collect an awful lot of nice others for the price of one of those!

Fully agree.  If you're collecting the different designs, just find a nice 2015 from change.  I did the same!

Strange though all these change checker sites and the multitude of so called experts on rare decimal coinage  don't mention it. Perhaps I should alert the daily mail lols