British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ConstantlyHammered

Missing letter on Edward III Groat

I bought this Edward III series C pre treaty groat (minted in London) however noticed that the “A” is missing from “EDWARD” making it just “EDWRD”. I have done research but can find no other Edward III groat with this inscription. Please help,

many thanks 

0C9A65AA-6E1B-46F9-B72E-10EA89818AC2.jpeg

Hi firstly its not pre treaty C, wrong initial mark and letter R, The initial mark puts it as PTS E or G 

PTSE is known from several dies without letter A in EDWARD, L.A.Lawrence (Numismatic Chronicle 1929 p106 - 163, 1932 p 96- 174) lists 7 different dies but none correspond to the die used for your coin, More interestingly is the complete horllx of the legend from ANGL Z onwards it appears to read FRALIIB???? This legend is not given in LAL. 

It would be usefull to see the reverse of the coin to determine if PTS E or PTSG

• Like 3

I dont know anything about the coin but fantastic pictures....HAT OFF ;)

Ah right definitely Pre treaty series E so obverse legend falls into the group without A in EDWARD

Guest Alice
On 08/04/2018 at 1:55 PM, davetmoneyer said:

Hi Dave, I’ve no idea how to post properly or even if this is the correct forum for it!! ..& realise this is not at all related to this topic!  However, I wondered if you or anyone would know how/where I might locate a Dolphin Coins catalogue, from Spring 1993, please? Apologies if this isn’t the right place but thought it worth a try! Many thanks, Alice

I know Gary Oddie has a copy and the Fitwilliam Museum coin dept certainly have a copy

35 minutes ago, davetmoneyer said:

I know Gary Oddie has a copy and the Fitwilliam Museum coin dept certainly have a copy

I've got a copy too, just no spare. Dolphin catalogues are bought as soon as you list them.